Thread: No Sound Olympia Joker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default No Sound Olympia Joker

Hello,
    I recently got an Olympia Joker that has no sound. The previous owner says everything was fine, then one day the sound simply didn't work. All wiring connections appear to be intact. There is a main fuse, and one for the hopper, but there does not appear to be any fuse dedicated audio. I found the volume control on the inside of the door, which was at the highest setting, and changing the setting had no effect. I thought maybe if the control was dirty, moving it around might work, but it did not. I am wondering if the speaker might be blown. How probable is it for this to occur in this type of machine? Are there other common causes for this problem I might be overlooking? It only has one tiny little speaker in it, do these things ever just blow out?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: No Sound Olympia Joker

is there an aftermarket volume pot it it someplace? they fail often and kill the sound
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Send pictures of the machine and the inside of the door and the volume area so we know what we are looking at.it always helps to see pictures, thanks
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You should use a vom meter to see if the speaker is getting anything. if not then work back. check the wires starting at the
    speaker and follow them back to see if they are broken anywhere. Often the wires get caught in the door and break inside
    the insulation. You can't see the break but the meter or maybe just jiggling the wire will cause momentary contact and sound.
    Examine where the speaker wires plug into the motherboard. make sure they are clean and seated properly.
    Try attaching another speaker to see if the speaker is bad (any 8 ohm from a junk TV or radio will do for the test)
    check the volume control itself to see if the resistor or any other part is bad!! They may be blown.
    If you cannot find anything wrong from the speakers to the mobo then you have a trouble that most likely cannot be fixed unless
    you or some friend is a good electronics tech.
    On the plus side, usually the problem is simple, a bad connection or bad speaker or broken wire. But sometimes...
    Good luck and let us know what is happening.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The meter shows a signal going to the speaker terminals, so it looks like I have a blown speaker. I would imagine any 8 ohm speaker of the Radio Shack variety would serve as a suitable replacement. Thank you for the suggestion, it helped me solve a mystery.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to clowd