Thread: Some questions about my new machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Some questions about my new machine

OK, started looking over it tonight, filled the hopper with the old balls the seller gave me and it seems like it's working pretty well. A couple things I've noticed though... First, the small metal piece shown in the pic below, that funnels the losing balls into the back was held on with tape. I took the tape off only to find that the piece was completely loose (hence the tape, apparently). It appears that it was spot welded on originally, what would you guys suggest to reattach it?

IMG_0899.jpg

Second question... At the back of the machine, their is a plastic rod with a nail through it attached near the bottom (pic below, marked by arrow). It looks like something was attached to the end of this rod that has since broken off. What is this piece? Is it something I need to worry about?

IMG_0901.jpg

Last question, I got a decent amount of balls from the seller (about 100). Is there any fool-proof, easy way to clean/polish them? I had the idea to put them in my daughter's rock polishing machine with some of the super fine polishing powder. Bad idea?
    Last edited by grocco; 02-23-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Some questions about my new machine

One more question... As opposed to my NewGin machine where all the components were screwed on, everything on the back of the Nishijin is held on with staples. Is it advisable to remove these in order to clean the sub-assemblies and then reattach them with small screws?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For the little metal piece I would use gorilla glue. I know it can hold metal piece really well, but little must be used because it increase up to three time the amount applied. There's surely something else which can be use to glue metal, but I don't know.

About the rod with nail, well I'm not sure but I supposed it may be a plastic cover before, and someone just pull it out, braking the plastic cover. Someone may have a better idea about what it is.

If you have a rock tumbler, you can polish the balls using ground walnut shells. you can buy them in a pet shop, it is used for reptiles or gerbils I think. You can also use CLR. This can be good for lightly rusted balls (some spot here and there), but it will not work for really rusted ones. You will end up cleaning your machine every time you put rusty balls in it. Don't use the polishing powder for rock tumbler, it will deteriorate the chrome on the balls.

I removed all staples in my two vintage and replace with screws, easier to clean next time., But it's really depend on what you want to achieve. If you want to restore it but still end up with a "genuine" vintage which worth as much as it is supposed to be, you can't replace old parts with newer one. All parts most be authentically as old as the machine.

I restored my two vintage, one of it to the point that it mostly doesn't look like a vintage one, but my purpose was not to have an antiquity, it was the proud of complete restoration and for my own fun and use.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As far as glue for metals, I have had good luck with 2 part epoxies such as JB Weld, or Loctite products. Loctite makes some clear epoxies, 1,2,5 min cure times. I mix it , or apply it, if it's the self mixing syringe, on a piece of cardboard, and apply it to the job with a toothpick. Wipe off any excess immediately. You can find these at the Depot or Lowes...
    Last edited by andyjon100; 02-23-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: misspelling

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to andyjon100

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i agree with both...

great looking Machine
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The nail in your second pic was there to hold on a large plastic cover that prevented you from messing with the jackpot payout linkage. It is not needed for machine play. As for cleaning balls, I put them in my vibrating tumbler with crushed walnut shells and a 'splash' or two of liquid metal polish for one or two days (I use Brite Boy, but Brasso will work). They always come out as shiney as they will ever get.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now comes my thoughts / opinion.

The nail is of no consequence for all the reasons stated above.
    I throw away (or use in other "possibly destructive devices") any balls that have rust or pits. I don't want the rust in my machine and I think the pitted balls that have been cleaned will re-rust faster, collect dirt faster and cheapen's the over all look. You can buy a thousand for around $30 to $35 delivered so why keep the old ones?
    I'd go with JB Weld for metal repair.
    If I am doing a full restoration I will remove the staples and put back with screws. I think the screws looks more professional than the staples do. They hold up better and make for an easier re-clean. Since the value of these machines fully restored is generally under $250 the difference between staples and nails is of no consequence to the overall value. I suggest you gently pull the staples and put back with phillip head screws.

Just my 2 cents or what ever it's worth these days.

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I probably won't remove everything from the back, but the main cover over the pockets and the hopper are really filthy, so I'll be removing them and using screws.