Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of cutting Cable TV - Need your Advice.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Thinking of cutting Cable TV - Need your Advice.

I tried a few demos from huluplus with my ps3 today, I've been downloading a torrent and the demo shows i tried both locked up a lot, stopping and starting again at the start.

then I tried a regular Hulu show on my computer and it ran fine,

the problem is my DSL speed, Huluplus streams in 720P and Hulu in 480P

I still get commercials with either one, so I might as well stick with regular Hulu for free on computer

here's a review of Roku box with Huluplus
    http://searchengineland.com/roku-hul...-awesome-56801
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I have been using the Roku box for over a month now and I am very happy with it...so happy that I bought a second one for the TV in the family room! The picture quality is very good for most channels (some of the "free" channels that come with Roku don't stream as well as others, but the content is kind of lame anyway). The biggest thing I had to get used to was channel surfing! With cable I would click through channels until I found a show that caught my eye. You can also do that with the Roku, but it can be cumbersome. I find that I need to have an idea of what I want to watch before I switch the unit on so that I know which service (or "channel") to use in order find it. Most of my programming comes from Hulu Plus and Netflix, or from DTV. I use the computer to load up my "Instant Queue" on Netflix so that I can find and watch programs quicker. Hulu doesn't offer an instant queue, but you can search by title.

The only downside to the Roku (from my perspective) is that I cannot find programs from CBS or WB, so if I miss a program that aired I must use my laptop or iPad to access the network website to watch the episode. Roku does offer MLB and NHL stations that require subscriptions, but there isn't any support for NBA and NFL yet. (I'm not that much of a sports guy, so I am content with catching the games I like on DTV). My hope is that in time, the channel/content selection will improve.

Both of my Roku boxes are connected via Wireless-N and I haven't noticed any issues streaming over wireless. One TV is in the upstairs master bedroom, which is next to the room where my wireless router is installed. The family room TV is downstairs on the main level at the opposite end of the house. The next (and probably most challenging) Roku that I want to add is to my HDTV in the basement. It will be interesting to see if the distance from the router will effect the wireless signal for HD streaming. More to come on that...

One final note: The remote that comes with the Roku is fairly basic; there is only about 10 buttons and no keyboard, which means you have to navigate a virtual keyboard on the screen using a series of directional arrows and "OK" button. This makes typing in your search words a bit cumbersom, but not impossible. I found an app called DVPRemote that allows me to use the keyboard on my iPhone, iTouch and iPad as the remote, and I can switch between Roku boxes so that I control the one I am using. It works over the wireless network, allowing you the ability to hide your Roku box out of site if you wanted to.

Since we got the Roku we have hardly watched any cable TV, so I think we are finally ready to make the switch permanent by pulling the plug. We set a date of March 31st to turn in our cable boxes and officially kick the cable habit!! At that point, my monthly cost for TV will drop from $130 per month down to $16.

I will post another update once my third and final Roku box arrives and I get it connected to my HDTV.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post...

When I tell others about Roku and internet TV, I always get asked: "does it have a DVR? How do you record your shows?" The beauty of the Roku is that your shows are already "recorded" and are waiting for you to watch them. All you need to do is go select the show from the channel and watch it. For example, I wanted to watch Modern Family this week on DTV, but I got sidetracked with something and missed the first 15 minutes of the show. No worries! I waited until the next day and watched it on Hulu Plus using the Roku player.

With the possible exception of sports games, there isn't a need that I see for a recorder of any type. As mentioned in this thread, Hulu Plus does have commercials in the recordings, but you only see one 30 second commercial and then you are back to the program. Netflix programs don't have any commercials.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

6. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

with netflix you have every movie already recorded for you available anytime you want

my free month is up and I was just billed 7.99 for the next month

for some reason CBS doesn't like the idea of making their streaming video available except from cbs.com

the only thing with usiing nexflix is you need to know the name of the movie or tv series you want to watch, i do run across other movies by accident and they do offer suggested movies and tv series from what you have watched before.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought I would post a link to this cnet article about how more people are switching to internet based TV. There are some "related links" about half way in the article that are also interesting to read. Internet TV still has a way to go before it is mainstream, but it sure sounds like it is on its way!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20....html?ttag=fbw
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just listed 2 different DTV digital tuners on ebay, they will bring in 480P with an antenna

Apex Model DT250A DTV DIGITAL TV TUNER Converter Box - eBay (item 160570239015 end time Apr-10-11 17:21:50 PDT)

the apex is the better on the two, click on my other auctions to see the other one.

HD digital tuners run close to a hundred dollars. if you want to get an HD one make sure it is HD with the HDMI connection on the back

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just a note for any AT&T DSL and U-Verse users, AT&T is adding 150GB and 250GB (U-Verse) monthly usage caps on May 1st..Its been surprising to see how much streaming Netflix uses up..I don't think I'll go over my 150...But its scary to think that with the same companies providing TV and Internet that if they saw a big enough dip in TV subscribers that they could easilly put low enough caps on their internet to make it impractical for most people to use their internet for their TV..or maybe just make internet as expensive as cable...I wouldn't put it past companies like Comcast and AT&T doing things like that in the future!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    Just a note for any AT&T DSL and U-Verse users, AT&T is adding 150GB and 250GB (U-Verse) monthly usage caps on May 1st.

I had concerns about that at first, but during my first month of straight internet TV usage, my total bandwidth used for TV/iPods/Computer/etc was 78GB, and Comcast has a 250GB cap. Naturally, everyone has different viewing habits so your consumption amounts will vary, but I was surprised at how low the usage was for the amount of TV and video programs we streamed. Unless you stream HD content most of the day each day, I would guess that you could stay under a 150GB cap.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, it has been a while now since I cut the cable and I have to tell you that my family and I have no regrets. Yes, we occasionally run into little 'blips" with the internet streaming and need to exit the show we are watching and they relaunch it, but those instances are very few. I have also been monitoring our internet usage to make sure we are not approaching the caps imposed by our provider, and I have found we have yet to hit 100GB of data streaming between TV's, computers and other toys in any given month. With the exception of Hulu Plus, I really enjoy watching shows without commercials!! (the commercial breaks on Hulu Plus are limited to one commercial, and most are only 15-30 seconds long)

The only real challenge left is live sports. My oldest son is a total Golf junkie, and when he came home for Spring Break he wanted to watch the PGA tour. With a little searching I was able to find it live on USTV Now and he was happy. I found I can also get some live sports (and replays) on ESPN and ESPN3 through Playon TV. If I wanted to spend the money, I could subscribe to the NBA, NHL, and NFL channels to make it easier, but I don't watch enough of those sports to personally justify the expense.

I am using two Roku XD/S boxes to stream from the internet, and I have an DTV anntenna for free, over the air programming from local stations. I added PlayOn TV to my home computer and connected both of the Roku boxes to it so that I can stream more content. The next thing I am going to play with is setting up a Windows Media Server in my home to capture over the air TV and record it for later viewing (like a DVR).

After showing my new TV setup to several friends and neighbors and explaining to them the pros and cons, nearly all have started the process for migrating over to internet TV, although none have officially cut the cable or dish yet. It took me a few months of research and testing before I was ready to pull the trigger, but once I did I never looked back.

Today I found an article on this very topic that lays out a lot of options and ideas if anyone here would like to explore the technology further. It closely follows the same path I took over the last nine months when I first started thinking seriously of cutting back on my cable bill. I thought others here might benefit from the links and information contained within:

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-...-cord/6225739/

This is still a "bleeding edge" technology that is not without growing pains, but I am finding more content and channel options being added and made available every few weeks, which leads me to believe that Internet TV is the wave of the future. Maybe that is one reason why Netflix recently passed up Comcast Cable in total number of subscribers.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

17. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cable tv was costing me 80 bucks a month. So i cut it and went to walmart and paid 37.00 for a digital ant. Ill never go back to cable or satelite tv again i love free tv. hell it dont even cut out in the worst storms. I only get like 10 channles but they are crystal clear and are FREE!!!

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jasn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well i dropped netflix after 2 months, my dsl is too slow to stream a lot of programs or movies.

i havw been without direct tv for a year and a half, so i have saved about $1,300.00 so far.

i'm saving 7.99 with dropping netflix, so ii think i'm going to bite the bullet and get our local park cable for $32.00 a mointh for the rest of the year,

comcast may be coming in our park next year, so ii'll decide what i want to do when that happens, i may mjust go for their whole package mainly for faster internet.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heres a site i use for free tv
    Seeon.tv

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Firesting View Post
    Heres a site i use for free tv
    Seeon.tv
    The site does not open??
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Recent news on the cord cutting front:

http://www.cable360.net/ct/48760.html
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well i've been enjoying our local cable for the summer,

Nov 1st i'm gettng the brighthouse package with HD tv, phone and 10 mbps internet speed for $100.00 a month with a total of 100.oo credit over the next few months.

the main reason is because of my very slow DSL

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've had Brighthouse for a month and all I can say is wow!!!

hundreds of HD channels, free long distance calling in U.S. and super fast download speeds, it still amazes me how fast 1 1/2 gb will download.

with taxes its $106.98 a month, I was paying $105.00 for DSL, phone and 44 non HD channels

I filled out my form for 100.00 credit and when i got my dec bill the full credit was givin already and my bill was $6.98

I'm a happy camper

29. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm paying about $16/mo for my HD TV.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

Thanks
    Thanks Received

NBC To Stream Super Bowl

For the first time, the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl and NBC’s Wild Card Saturday doubleheader will be available on television, online and on select mobile phones, the NFL announced. NBC’s postseason games will be broadcast on NBC as well as streamed live on NFL.com and NBCSports.com, and will be available on NFL Mobile only from Verizon. This marks the first time postseason games will be available in the United States via live online streaming and via a mobile app.

The live NFL.com and NBCSports.com coverage will come from NBC’s TV coverage of the games. Complementing that stream will be a number of extra features to enrich the viewing experience including additional camera angles, in-game highlights, live statistics and other interactive elements.

In addition, NFL Mobile only from Verizon will stream the broadcast of NBC’s Postseason games, for the first time using a mobile application.

http://www.cable360.net/ct/49931.html
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

32. The following user says "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hopefully this is readable
    Last edited by naha13; 03-17-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have not had cable tv in 2 years. When I did it was about $99.00 a month. So I cut the cord and went dsl for internet it is only $49.95 a month.

I got 2 roku box's had I got them on the day they launched.

for local tv as anyone knows all tv antenna are the same no matter how old they are. But I found the best ones out there are the cheap ones that can rotate, My area sucks for tv but with this type I get great tv.

I also do watch tv vie the laptop.

Do I miss tv no not at all. Heck there are weeks I never even turn it on. I have 2 tvs one being a projector and 200 inch screen that is never used anymore. the other a 32 inch lcd I watch it like once a week. lol I find no tv nice I now listing to the radio more and find myself not just setting but up doing things that need to be took care of more.

35. The following user says "Thanks" to troydogtvtv

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast