Thread: Help Dig Dug needs a light

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help Dig Dug needs a light

In need of a reel light for a Dig Dug by Oizumi. Its a long skinny light about a foot long with the wires soldered to each side. The bulb was broken in a few places. Most likely happened years ago when it was shipped but i never noticed before as the machine is pretty bright with out it. I hope someone knows where I can buy one at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Chrisdice

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help Dig Dug needs a light

I thought you sold that machine, Chris.
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nope, still have it. took it out of storage for Christmas and hit 3 red sevens right away.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My previously CD owned Bang Bang Dash has 2 similar reel lights, one white/one clear... both approximately 10 3/4in.
    They appear to be seated (no wire at either end),
    but it's 5:05am Christmas morning & I won't get time to dismantle anything until tomorrow at the earliest.
    Hopefully they're universal for pachislo, that would make it easier than hunting down another Oizumi title for parts.

I shoulda bit on that Dig Dug when I had the chance... but then again I'd have been bulb shopping.
    It's nice to finally see some pics though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TikiTim; 12-25-2010 at 06:08 AM.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to TikiTim

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I first received the game the lcd was loose inside the game just held by the wires bouncing around. the bracket that it attaches to was cracked. I was able to fix everything just fine but the reel light must of been broken too. The reels light up and the game is bright with the yellow lights on the side so I never even noticed in addition to the bulb being so thin I didn't even know it was there.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Stuck in Podunk, Ne and long to move back to Southern Ca.
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice View Post
    When I first received the game the lcd was loose inside the game just held by the wires bouncing around. the bracket that it attaches to was cracked. I was able to fix everything just fine but the reel light must of been broken too. The reels light up and the game is bright with the yellow lights on the side so I never even noticed in addition to the bulb being so thin I didn't even know it was there.
    Hey Chris, I did some looking around and found that the older Aristocrat machines used the small flourescents to light the belly glass. Some of the machines use two of them and I think you could swipe one to use elsewhere? Hope that helps...Merry Christmas!!!
    Spiderman-Sinbad-Ultraman P/P-Onimusha-Gamera-Juggler-Onoki-Gundam-Hanabi-Tiger Mask-Tomb Raider P/P-D'bl Diamond-Takarabune-Beast Sapp-Tekken-Yajikita-Twinkle Stage-Duel Dragon-Popeye-Speed Racer-Million God-Jaws-Gladiator-St.Maria-Let'sDance-Indy-RoboCop-Julie-Palot

9. The following user says "Thanks" to FREKKEN TEKKEN

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hey thanks, i just checked and the bulbs are to thick. The one Im looking for isn't much thicker then a piece of spaghetti.
    Last edited by Chrisdice; 12-25-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Stuck in Podunk, Ne and long to move back to Southern Ca.
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdice View Post
    hey thanks, i just check and the bulbs are to thick. The one Im looking for isn't much thicker then a piece of spaghetti.
    Wow thats a new one on me. I've never seen one even close to that small. Mine are about the size of a pencil, maybe a little smaller. Sorry, thought I had found one for you. I will keep an eye out for you and Happy New Year too since I've got you on line!!!
    Spiderman-Sinbad-Ultraman P/P-Onimusha-Gamera-Juggler-Onoki-Gundam-Hanabi-Tiger Mask-Tomb Raider P/P-D'bl Diamond-Takarabune-Beast Sapp-Tekken-Yajikita-Twinkle Stage-Duel Dragon-Popeye-Speed Racer-Million God-Jaws-Gladiator-St.Maria-Let'sDance-Indy-RoboCop-Julie-Palot

12. The following user says "Thanks" to FREKKEN TEKKEN

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe that type of light is actually a neon tube, my flying momonga machine uses the same type of light. I don't know where to get a new one. You are close to describing the glass though in neon glass it is called spaghetti glass. if you keep the ends of the unit possibly aneon sign shop could re weld new glass on to the electrodes then re pump it with new gas,and it would be fixed. just a thought.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yose might be right that it is a neon but the tube has a white color throughout its length which makes me believe it is a cold cathode lamp. Neon tubes usually are clear. The thinness of cold cathodes sometimes causes them to be confused with neons. It would help to have extremely good closeups of the ends of the tube and the wires. You can find a large assortment of cold cathodes on Ebay at very good prices. Even if it is a neon you might want to consider a cold cathode as the better replacement!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

neon is a general term used in illuminated signs. to make colored glass, aphosferescent color is coated on the inside of the tube ,to make the make the different colors and argon gas is injected in ,which lights up a blueish,white light. Whereas neon is red. I believe a cold cathode is basically the made the same way.So slotsRfun could be correct to. Aneon tube will always have a clear electrode on each end of the glass. So if the color goes all the way to the end of the glass, it is probably a cold cathode unit maybe this will help you findan answer. Best of luck.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it is a cold cathode and it is the same type used in laptop lcd backlights, normally with those lights there should be a model number on a piece of tape on the soldered wire for the part if not you may be able to find laptop backlights on ebay for the white light that is broken. I know this because i work in electronics repair place and have had people come in to buy those bulbs stating they needed it for a slot machine.

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to kamyar22

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unfortunately, the light is the least of this Dig Dug's needs... but it's UPS's baby now.

Maybe we could seal the thread since the machine has ceased to exist.