Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Making replacement parts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Making replacement parts

Well I figured out the indexing. I filled the shaft with clay & made an impression with a centering punch. I figured this way someone could drill exact center of the gear to whatever size shaft they are going to attach it to. Went to pour the mold material & found out it was no good I guess it has a shelf life . now I have to go buy some more .
    notice

Notice

Warning: Author of this post has delusions of being mentally competent.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but i'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

2. The following user says "Thanks" to subdude

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    Well I figured out the indexing. I filled the shaft with clay & made an impression with a centering punch. I figured this way someone could drill exact center of the gear to whatever size shaft they are going to attach it to. Went to pour the mold material & found out it was no good I guess it has a shelf life . now I have to go buy some more .
    sounds like your on the right track...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    hey, I just found some free CAD software at eMachineShop.com

it lets you draw things out, add a 3rd dimension, then get a price to make it.

the samples aren't too pricey, so maybe we could at least have set of parts files as we draw them up gradually, to use these for occasional replacement part production?

the vintage pachinko parts database?

what's the quickest way to take a photo and convert it to a CAD drawing for CNC milling or injection molding?
    I am in the casting and machining business. I have a sand cast foundry capable of producing aluminum brass and bronze castings as well as a full machine shop.Most of the cast parts I have seen on pachinkos are die cast. We use the sand cast process which may not be able to produce some of the small cast items on these machines. Our sand castings are generally larger and a little less refined than die castings. If someone can send me some details about the parts you need I can suggest the most cost affective way to produce them. I will be happy to help and will produce parts if possible. I don't want to open a can of worms where everyone expects to get free or dirt cheap parts. Please understand that we have overhead to meet so shop time is pricey. Tooling for producing castings can also be expensive if you only need a couple of parts. If you machine a part from aluminum or plastic on a CNC machine you need to remember that a program will need to be written and the machine will have to be setup. This will be done by someone making at least $20 per hour so you can expect a shop rate of at least $60 or $70 per hour.

With that disclaimer out of the way I will be happy to assist in producing parts to restore pachinko machines. If I can produce the part reasonably and economically I will, otherwise I will do the best I can to suggest the best method for producing the part you need.

As for generating a CAD model from a photo. That would be difficult. If you have an existing part it could be scanned with a 3D scanner to create a model which could be sent to a CNC machine or 3D printer. I am not aware of any printer that will print metal parts. I am not sure that a part generated by a printer would be durable enough for this application. The printed part could be used as a master pattern for casting. I do not have a scanner or printer in house but do work with people who have this equipment.

5. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Bat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I have to say, ...this has been very interesting!!First thing is I was able to make parts I need for my vintage model B, but I was able to learn some pretty cool stuff doing it!
    As you can see from the picture I made 2 molds for the pieces that were either broken or missing from a machine I bought on E-Bay a month ago.They came out really good and are alot better than the tin foil I had for the rail cover.The rail covers I have decided to leave as is, without drilling holes for the screws that hold the slide/lock with the spring on it. since I dont have any extra slide/locks and springs, I have found that I could use a piece of 1/4 inch keystock cut to fit into the notch and by letting it sit on top of the rail cover it keeps it from moving. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the casting resin, I may just keep making extra pieces for future since I seem to keep looking for more machines!!The addiction continues!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Bobesmo

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow thats cool. We did sand casting of aluminum in school, But nothing like that.
    Ian #UKPachinko

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bobesmo,

From what I see, It looks like the mold was a success. Keep up the great work

11. The following user says "Thanks" to OneBigTuna

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have found a way to make a pretty decent "slide lock" for the lower ball track covers I had molded last month and thought I would post an update.The pictures are not the best but I think you will get the idea of how they were made.
    The first picture shows the material I made them from, it was a old cover that went between the oven/range and the counter in the kitchen. I found this to be almost perfect in size if I milled the larger side off.next picture shows the pieces that had been cut and bent with the slots in them for the screws to go thru,...last picture is the slides attached to some of the rail covers I molded last month, all and all, it was a great success!
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Bobesmo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice looking
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2