Thread: Sankyo Birds Vintage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo Birds Vintage

As I try to curb my addiction I can't help looking every now and then for some unique machine and/or one that could be used for parts or some other excuse to acquire another machine, well I found this Sankyo on a local subdivision's classified section. At first I wasn't really interested as the lady was asking $75 for it. However, she didn't get any other inquires into it and stated that she would have it in a garage sale on Saturday morning. Well... I'm a sucker for garage sales. (Can anyone see where this is going?)

Anyway, I went by and checked out the machine. She told me she was moving and was wanting to sell everything and that the machine actually had belonged to her ex-husband. (cha-ching). Knowing she was asking $75 I looked closer to see if it would be worth at least a reasonable offer. Well, looking at the machine, I explained what I knew about it (Showa 51 date) and started to point out the issues I found with it. 1)there is no glass/plexi over the playfield (she had no idea it needed it), 2)no balls with it, 3)there were several 'chips' in the plastic guides on the front (you can see the play cell photo - upper and lower guides), 4)there was a piece missing on the upper jackpot arm, 5)missing bracket on the shooter mechanism, 5)the winning ball release wire appeared to be broken or not installed correctly, 6)the play cell was yellowed from UV and 7)one of the tulip pockets is broken. While I told her the machine had some visual appeal bu there was really to much wrong and I would only be interested in it for parts. She said.. make an offer... I said $15... she said sold.

Damn. Now I have another machine in my man cave.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to look at it last night and the more I looked, the more I think I can fix and make a working machine out of it. It is actually pretty clean and although the cell is yellowed, it may turn out OK. If you look at the photo of the upper jackpot arm, you can see the bracket that is missing. Since this bracket is only there to prevent a payout should a large number of jackpots be pending when it runs out of balls, it really doesn't affect game play. I can certainly make the machine playable with out this piece. However, I should be able to fashion a replacement from some stiff wire I have... we'll see.

Looking at the lower shooter area close up, you can see where the wire is missing from the shooter arm that manipulates the ball release that would 'load' a ball' into the shot rail. Again I think I can fashion one pretty easily. In this photo you can also see where the winning ball release wire is in the wrong place. Once I took some of the components off, all I had to do was loosen the screw holding the wire (arrow with square) and swivel the wire upwards where it 'pokes' through a guide slot in the main cover. This wire is shoved downwards by the falling jackpot balls across a flat landing pad lever.

So fixing the rear mechanics appears to be easy... but the repair of the tulip pocket will be the tricky one. The pocket that is broke is the one just under the jackpot mechanism. This tulip will always drop the ball down into the tulip pocket below it. What makes this one difficult to repair is that it uses several plastic components to open and close the wings and the main sliding component is broken and can't be repaired. So... barring someone having one of these just sitting around, I will be making a part. When I do this, I will be posting photos in a seperate thread.

So I had almost convinced myself this machine could be repaired but still debating parting it out so I thought I would see how the game play went. Well.. it's pretty cool!

You will see in the Jackpot photos there are two photos... one has three little birds and one has 3 eggs. When the eggs are shown and a ball enters the center area the two tulips on the side and the two tulips in the middle are opened. However, when the birds are shown only the two middle tulips are opened. When a ball enters the very top pocket it will alternate between these same two options, your just not given a hint as to which one.

So now I'm thinking... well.. this is just two cool to part out! So the adventure begins!

Oh.. and for those of you who are wondering about what the wife is thinking... well.. the divorce will be final on the 31st of this month. Sad and not what I wanted... but certainly not caused by the pachinko addiction. What this does mean is I will now have a large room (her office) that I can convert into a game room... and fit more arcade stuff... oh geeze... it's hopeless now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rusty Key

2. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Birds Vintage

nice find

close up of damaged tulip??? i have a few from a part out
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What a great machine. I love the jackpot. I can't remember what the 4 guys are called on the cell design. I can't seem to find any around here that catch my eye, but I will keep looking...

Sorry to hear about the divorce.
    Machines I own: ...see my profile

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great find!!

You're taking your divorce pretty well. At least you have your Pachi's to fall back on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post
    What this does mean is I will now have a large room (her office) that I can convert into a game room... and fit more arcade stuff... oh geeze... it's hopeless now.
    Talk about a silver lining! Good luck with the "D" I wish you well.
    Bill
    "trying Is the first step towards failure" Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Rusty,

I think you totally scored on that machine! I really like the cell and theme, and I don't see why it cannot be salvaged. I personally wouldn't use it for parts - it's in too good of condition for that. I'm sure the PT community will be able to help you find what you need to get it working.

Anyway, it sounds like you need a good project (or several!!) to divert your attention from your other situation. Sorry to hear about your divorce.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the encouragement. This year has sucked, but looking forward!

As for the broken tulip, here's a photo clipped from the large front photo. You can see where the screws are missing where a previous owner tried to fix it. The game will play with it broke... the wings just won't ever open.

I will take more photos tonight and start a new thread on it.
    Rusty Key

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

All these responses and no one's noticed it's not a Sankyo but a Sanyo?

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorenth View Post
    I can't remember what the 4 guys are called on the cell design.
    Daruma
    Last edited by compirate; 03-29-2010 at 12:47 PM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

oops... I guess I should have uploaded it.
    Rusty Key

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Daruma... that is so cool. This machine keeps getting better!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I quite like the Peacock, the eggs and little chicks, just in time for Easter!!

I think it would be great if you could repair this one, way too good to be a parts machine!!

You know how much we all love to follow the restorations here, and I'm sure it will be very rewarding and therapeutic for you too

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ill look tonight and see if i have a pass threw tulip... wont be exactly the same but better then a broken one

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Rusty,

I have a couple of tulips that were right and left mounted. One of them might work for you depending on which way the ball travels.

The upper 2 screw holes are 45mm apart and the lower 2 are 22mm apart. Its about 50mm from top to bottom.

Here's some photos:

18. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the thread for the broken pocket repair:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...et-repair.html
    Rusty Key

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oops... this is a Sanyo... not a Sankyo.

That missing 'K' surprised me... I guess this one is differnt from any that I already have
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Spent some quality time with this machine and got all the back cleaned and shined up. Filled her up with balls and dropped a ball are two through the front and it worked perfect! hmmmmm.. maybe I won't part her out after all.

I now need to find some stiff wire that I can use to make the shooter lever that manipulates the ball release and the one that is used to block the jackpot if the upper rails are empty. This should also give me a chance to clean the front.

Since it didn't come with any plexi I can't play it right now. The window appears to be smaller than my other machines so I can't swap in a slice to test with. The new pocket repair job does seem to work but... I've only dropped a few balls through it.

More updates later... with a photo or two.
    Rusty Key

23. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well... damn... the pocket fix didn't work. I dropped a few balls on the wings emulating regular play and the metal bar popped off.

I did clean up the front shooter components and that area is now complete. I probably won't get to work on this again until Thursday evening... so it will be Friday before the next update. Geeze... can you tell I'm a project manager by trade?
    Rusty Key

25. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, here she is. I have essentially completed my work on her. I am glad my friends here convinced me not to part it out. While it does have a few minor cosmetic issues I think it turned out nice. As you can see in the photos the current fix on the Diana pocket has the left 'wing' slightly ajar. But for now.. it works! You can't really see the fix for the ball loading bracket as I used a piece of stiff wire to replace the one that was missing. She works great!

As for the game play, this really is a fun machine. It is currently set to be very tight and this is not a machine you can sit down at and drain repeatedly. As a matter of fact, getting the jackpots are a bit rare... so some nail bending will be in order to improve the play experience. The way the center piece works in conjunction with the very top pocket really makes for a fun game.

Thanks again for all the support! Now.. I've just got to figure out how to arrange all these machines. I now have a total of 9.
    Rusty Key

27. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to wrkey