Thread: Volume Control - A How To Guide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume Control - A How To Guide

Wekcome to pachitalk! There should be a schematic...or some sort of wiring diagram that came with it, or on the box. Post a pic of that, and it will make sense. Typically you cut one wire (I usually use + one, but I don't think it matters) and attach the cut wire coming from the amp to the center post (on the side with 3 terminals). Then attach the wire from the speaker to one of the outside terminals. One of the outside terminals will make it get louder when rotating clockwise, the other outside terminal will make it get louder when rotating counterclockwise. It don't matter which one you choose, one way "feels"backwards, but still works fine. Do one speaker on the top pot, and the other speaker on the bottom pot. Just make sure you use the same side for both speakers. If not...one speaker gets louder as the other speaker gets quieter. In that case, you wired in a balance control.
    Not sure what the extra terminal on the other side of each pot is...40% loudness tap? Not sure what that means. Maybe it drops the volume by 40% while still allowing adjustment.
    Once again, the schematic that comes with it is your friend!

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Mopar and Pachiwall!

I ended up finding this thread that explained how to connect the controls: http://www.pachislodb.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5822

I think something may be off about my setup because it basically goes from full volume to mute but with a tiny, tiny window in between the two of a half full volume setting. I managed to get the two speakers up top and the sub below to that half setting and now the machine is bearable. It's not a perfect fix but it works for what I want it to do at least.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheArcade View Post
    Thanks Mopar and Pachiwall!

I ended up finding this thread that explained how to connect the controls: http://www.pachislodb.com/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5822

I think something may be off about my setup because it basically goes from full volume to mute but with a tiny, tiny window in between the two of a half full volume setting. I managed to get the two speakers up top and the sub below to that half setting and now the machine is bearable. It's not a perfect fix but it works for what I want it to do at least.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
    glad to see ya got it working...

if your not totaly happy i have used these for a few years now.. love them... there supper small and easy (for me ) to install.. they do require solder.. one for each speaker..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volume-Con...giPMdEtO_UVPYQ

pluss the seller is a member hear
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheArcade View Post
    I think something may be off about my setup because it basically goes from full volume to mute but with a tiny, tiny window in between the two of a half full volume setting.
    Unfortunately, all potentiometers are not created the same and the ones you purchased will not work correctly.

You will need a potentiometer that is 500 ohm and linear taper. http://www.parts-express.com/500-ohm...shaft--023-500
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo