Thread: Parts Express: L-PAD 8 OHM 50 WATT w/FACEPLATE FOR MIDRANGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Parts Express: L-PAD 8 OHM 50 WATT w/FACEPLATE FOR MIDRANGE

In case anyone is interested, I found this while looking for the L-Pads most seem to use from Parts Express. Looks like a pretty good deal at $3.17, and I think it's the same thing as the ones most use, except that it has the mid-range faceplate.

L-PAD 8 OHM 50 WATT w/FACEPLATE FOR MIDRANGE
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=269-112

I cannot recommend it entirely yet, though, as I cannot seem to get the faceplate off of the L-Pad. Not sure if it's "locked on."
    Kamehany

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think they are ones I used. Take a needlenose pliers and pull off the knob. Then ether use a socket driver for the size nut if it will fit down in or just use the needle's again the take the nut off. it will separate then. If you use a needlenose to put the nut back on you may have to hold the nut and turn the L-pad on ftom the inside until you get it started. You will see what I mean when you do it. One last note on these the face plate is not flush it has a raised part to the back if the hole for the l-pad is not as big or bigger than this it will not sit flush with the cabinet. I drilled the holes before the l-pads came. They told me what size hole would work. Then it was too small but i was careful and you can screw them down and you will see they bend enough at the corners without braking.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I saw those in the paper catalog they sent me with my last batch of 15W L-pads. If I were mounting them on the side, the flush-mount faceplate would be nice. I know it will offend some of the purists here, but I've been mounting my belly L-Pads like this

http://members.cox.net/cwstnsko/Photos/L-Pad-Front.jpg

A 15W stereo L-Pad just barely clears the coin hopper when mounted like this. Here's a look at the inside of a machine with a stereo L-pad:

http://members.cox.net/cwstnsko/Photos/slot_inside.jpg

If the machine has upper speakers or the main speakers aren't excessively loud, I try to do a fixed volume mod that gives the on-board volume controls a good range. My normal fixed volume mod looks like this

http://members.cox.net/cwstnsko/Phot...sistor_mod.jpg

Machines done this way can easily be returned to "normal"
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great job on that. Cool! And nice pics, too. 8-)

I like the way you did that, especially when cramped on space and have to go up against each other side to side... :lol:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

cwstnsko. Ware do you get your wire? I have trouble finding small 18-22 gage wire in single or multiple strands without having to by it in bulk or vary high prices for small amounts. Did the spade connectors with the plastic cover come with the machine or did you get them?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interesting location cwstnsko. Coins don't interefere?

Kamehany, that particular one would be nice looking since it is flush mount.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don't cut the hole in your coin return. Flip that control around and silicone it in the same place. Works just as well unless you're constantly changing the settings, which I don't.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In the machines I put L-Pads in like that, there was no interference with anything. I'm only drilling through the steel faceplate and the plastic panel behind it, not in the coin chute or anything like that.

I don't drill holes in any machine I think is "special" Of the 2 I've drilled, one is the Crazy Shaman S/N 14892 (not rare not matter what the ad writers at PP say :-) ) and the other is a Cray Fish that Zcore made into a Spongebob custom (beautiful, clean machine, but not collectible anymore, if it ever was.)

You'd be surprised how often you adjust the volume when the knob is right there. If I'm alone in the house, I'll turn it up and enjoy the quality of the sound, but after the kids head for bed, I can turn them way down. Also very helpful if the phone rings in the middle of a bonus round.

The connector in the picture is the connector I pulled of the speaker terminal next to the resistor. If I want to go back, I just unsolder the resistors and put the connector back where it was. Older machines seem to have the speaker wires soldered on. On those, I clip the wire just long enough to be able to reattach it and shrink wrap it later if desired.

The wire was just lying around in my electrical box. I believe it was speaker wire left over from a cheap car stereo speaker install. It is multi-strand 22 gauge just like the machines come with. I'm pretty sure you could find something similar at Radio Shack
    Chris W
    Mesa, AZ
    Spin-Luck , Dragon Dice , Super BlackJack, King Camel