Thread: Don't you love the New Weather Studio?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Don't you love the New Weather Studio?

Your local news station just got an upgrade.

1101046mc2_1.jpg

Alright, I'll cut to the chase on this one. I've given seperate threads to only three other pachinkos (Evangelion 5, Dawn of the Fantasy, and Hiromi Go The Second Stage), but my taste in pachinko has been pretty well covered on these boards. Still, for the new readers:

1. I find music to be one of the most important aspects of any pachinko. It should play through in the background and not be linked to spins (i.e. the short samples that start and stop with each spin).

2. The game should be interactive. Failing this, it needs to be darn well put together in such a way that I am entertained while playing, even if there's no mini-games.

3. If the previous points are not met, it better make me laugh.

Well, New Weather Studio (by Heiwa) manages to hit 1, half of 2, but makes up for it big time with 3.

The music is catchy, toe-tapping fun. The animation quality and design are top-notch (but it loses some points for lack of variety). Also, the chance time mode is drawn entirely in crayon. It's awesome!

But most of all, it's one of the most humorous pachinkos I've played in a long time. Let me give you a quick super-reach example:

As one of the reporters for the Weather Studio, Himawari (name of female reporter) goes out to cover a rainstorm for a special report. Out in the rain with an umbrella, she explains that there's quite a bit of rain and wind, so it's a good day to stay inside.

ENTER GINGA! (Ginga -- best name EVER -- is the Weather Studio boss. He also happens to be a bit of a baffoon.)

Ginga is standing atop a twenty-meter tall wind fan as he shouts "I just saw you making your report! It's kinda boring... LET'S SEE A REAL STORM*!" and turns on the fan in the middle of the city.

Hilarity ensues.

In any case, here's the video:

YouTube - CR–Š天—‚‚‚‚€€販ƒ”PV

(Skip to 4:40 if you just want to see the machine in action. Sadly, does not contain a full reach as described above. I did check for one, but the sound was awful.)

Now, the only unfortunate thing for most of the pachitalk users here...

This is one of those machines that intermediate knowledge of Japanese (or above) will greatly improve the experience. Granted, like most of the other machines, you'll always know what's going on... you just won't know WHY it's going on.

Best from Japan,

- Sed

*Not an exact translation.

Also, original thread on the machine: new Otenki Studio

-------------------------

EXTRA GENERAL PACHINKO INFO:

Some people are confused by the word "modern" pachi as I use it. I usually specify made after 2003, to clarify what I'm talking about because it's been a while since pachinko was played by single action levers (instead of the current automatic handles).

Well, for those who are interested in why I make that distinction, I want you to check out the above video and then watch this one:

YouTube - [pachinko] OTENKI STUDIO Š天—‚‚‚‚

The above video is for Weather Studio (the original) and not New Weather Studio (the sequel). You should see a major difference between playstyle / reaches / animatronics / etc.

This is primarily for those who haven't seen both side by side. They are very, very different experiences and I fall firmly on the modern side (made after 2003). Not the modern-style side (pre-2003, automatic models).
    Last edited by Sederien; 09-20-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Currently Own: Nothing. I play mostly online now.

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Sederien