Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultrapin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Ultrapin

Has anyone out there played the Ultrapin machine? If so, how did you like it or dislike it? I am looking at it, But I am looking for one to play first.
    Jeff
    ...it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Ultrapin

You can build one for a lot cheaper! I have about $500 into mine and its been fun building it.

Custom Star Wars R2D2 Edition

3. The following user says "Thanks" to devospeed

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JMSVERO View Post
    Has anyone out there played the Ultrapin machine? If so, how did you like it or dislike it? I am looking at it, But I am looking for one to play first.
    Jeff
    I played one at one of the pinball shows. It is OK, it is fun to play and the graphics are good. I just can not see spending that type of $$$ on a virtual pin.

The only thing is I do not think more tables can be added easily.

I still think it would be just as easy to find a gutted pinball machine and build one. I have been thinking of doing this for a while, just need the time and parts.
    Rocky, King Camel, Terminator, Popeye, Sindbad Adventure, Super Blackjack, Babel, Death Valley ---- Pinball Machines: Star Trek TNG, Black Knight 2000, Theatre of Magic, Mystery Castle, Starship Troopers, SlugFast, Firepower, Baywatch, Checkpoint, Grand Prix

5. The following user says "Thanks" to fast toys

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can come up with the gutted pinball cabinet, what kind of parts are needed to make one and what programs do you use?
    Jeff
    ...it is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To build an ultra pin, you would need:
    A PC
    2 Monitors, one for the Playfield, the other for the backbox.
    Buttons, coindoor, etc.

For the programs, Visual Pinball and Visual Pinball Mame (VPM).
    Not sure what program would be used for the backbox though.

I played a Ultrapin, and I dont think it plays the same as the
    real game. Pretty expensive too. its Xenon doesnt compare to
    my original Xenon. However you milage may vary.

my 2 cents, Fixx
    FOUND: Dirty Pair Pachinko.. Thanks Compirate and Arby!

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mr. fixx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just found this vid on Youtube. Pretty sweet. Not full size but awesome none the less.

YouTube - Future Pinball Cabinet with HyperPin, 35 Tables!
    Bob's Tiki BarCade: Home to Arcade Machines, Pachis, Collectibles, and a Massive amount of Polynesian Kitsch. All together in one room.....because that's the only place she'll let me keep it.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to bob5150

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm in the process of building a Future Pinball mini pin machine using a Pachislo cabinet, Devospeed did the same.

I'm using Future Pinball with Hyperpin front end. I found future Pinball a lot easier to add new tables and get to work although there is not as many tables for this program especially more modern ones.

I still can't get visual Pinball to work

12. The following user says "Thanks" to monkeyboy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For those who are using Future Pinball, the physics (The last time I tried it) were inaccurate to the point of being almost unplayable. Granted that was a while ago, but from some of the people I have chatted with, the physics havent been fixxed..

my 2 cents, Fixx

14. The following user says "Thanks" to mr. fixx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mr. fixx View Post
    For those who are using Future Pinball, the physics (The last time I tried it) were inaccurate to the point of being almost unplayable. Granted that was a while ago, but from some of the people I have chatted with, the physics havent been fixxed..

my 2 cents, Fixx
    Interesting, it seems pretty good to me but then I haven't had a great deal of experience with real pinball machines. Maybe the graphics card that you played it on wasn't quite up to the task. You need a pretty high spec card to get good results.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to monkeyboy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No, The graphics wasnt the problem but, what i was observing was that, at that time, I could nudge a pinball all the way UP the table. Now your NOT supposed to be able to do that!

Fixx

18. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mr. fixx

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there should be an ultrapin at the california extreme arcade tomorrow. i'll try it out and take some vids.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

20. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ultrapin tables aren't quite nicely done imho. The originals are great but virtual ones look and act like average homemade Visual Pinball tables. There is also really annoying lag between button push and flipper movement because the pushbutton mechanics.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Supersaiyan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have used Visual Pinaball/Pinmame and future pinball and I have to agree that the Futurepin Stuff has been buggy for me as well. It may be that my PC doesn't have enough horsepower to run things effectively but the difference is noticable. VP can be a pain to get running. I recall having to change my calender settings at one point to get it to work(strange) but last I checked they had addressed that issue. Does the Hyperpin Frontend work with Visual Pinball/Pinmame?
    Bob's Tiki BarCade: Home to Arcade Machines, Pachis, Collectibles, and a Massive amount of Polynesian Kitsch. All together in one room.....because that's the only place she'll let me keep it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bob5150 View Post
    Does the Hyperpin Frontend work with Visual Pinball/Pinmame?
    Yes it does. If can give me instructions or point me in the right direction on how to get Visual Pinball/Pinmame to work I would be most grateful. I've given up with it.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

After a long time without Pinmame (had it on an old laptop) I tryed to get it and make it work again, but just couldn't figure it out...then I tried one more time..just one download and it all works great now!! Not sure how or why, it just did!!

I know this doesn't help, but I feel your pain!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used to be very big into arcade / console emulators. When I tried pinmame the first time I just couldn't get it setup correctly. After much frustration, I gave up on it.

A few months later I tried it again and got it going with very little problem. I haven't messed with any emulators for awhile but at the time I was into them...pinmame was by far the most complicated of the lot.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are some essential downloads as you get started. You need Visual Pinball (up to ver. 9.x but you can get 8.x if you computer is a little slower) and PinMame (ver 2.1 I think). You need to unzip everything into the same folder. I think that you need to run the setup program for pinmame as it locates you rom, samples, etc folder. The visual Pinball icon (silver ball) will be your executable however. I think that there is a single-download solution that installs the whole mess at once. Look here for the Visual install pack: Pinball Nirvana :: Nudging Necessary!

You will then need to find tables and roms to run your games. Both are needed to play. Roms are left zipped (like MAME) and put into the roms folder while Table zip files must be unzipped and the entire contents dragged into the "tables" folder. While many sites offer VP roms, you might want to head over to IPDB and download the game specific roms (get all of them as PinMame often uses more than one set).

Once you have a complete set of roms and a table file/s you should be ready to go. You can either open a table file through Visual pinball or click on the table file itself (as I believe that they are executables). Once you are up and running you've done all the hard stuff. Volume, glitches, resolution, etc are things you will learn to deal with in time.

Here are some sight that I have used (just today actually):
    VPForums.org Home Page (requires that you set up a username and p/w but will get you all of the files you need.

Pinball Nirvana :: Nudging Necessary! Also has some of the latest tables and support files out there.

JPSalas VisualPinbal tablesl not an essential sight but ths dude make some pretty awesome VP tables. They can be cpu intensive but they are really cool.

Sorry to go on and on here...I just updated my VP to version 9.x today and I figured I could share the experience.

Cheers,

Bob
    One more thing. I noticed today that many of the older tables (pre-9.x) are not functioning properly with the latest version of Visual Pinball. You may want to set up initially with version 8.x as there seems to be the most available tables for it. Once you're comfortable with it you can set up a secondary installation with 9.x and the newer tables (if you cpu/graphics card is up to it).

Bob
    Last edited by bob5150; 07-21-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

28. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to bob5150

Thanks
    Thanks Received

those tables look awesome, I might give this a try
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I downloaded the Visual install pack tonight and its setup ok, I'm going to do some research before I go any further
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good luck with it. I think you're right to take your time with the setup and research.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast