Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problems w/Sankyo "Big Powerful Fever"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Problems w/Sankyo "Big Powerful Fever"

Hello all.

First of all, I am typically a vintage machine junkie. I am an electronics moron, and the "gravity powered" machines are much more to my liking.

HOWEVER, I have recently come upon a couple of deals that my addiction was unable to overcome.

First, I went on a jaunt to Louisville, KY for 4 modern machines, a ball lifter, and over 4,000 balls...the ball lifter alone was worth more than than my out of pocket costs, so, I was unconcerned about whether the machines actually worked...turns out they are in varying stages of "working order".

Last week, I came across a deal where the seller was wanting $20 for a modern machine that "wasn't working anymore". Needless to say, it's in my garage right now. As it turns out, it is a "Sankyo - Big Powerful Fever" machine...EXACTLY like one of the machines I got on my Louisville trip.

Problem #1 - The center video screen only has a thin line across the middle. When I plugged that centerpiece into the other Sankyo machine, it did the same exact thing...So, I deduce that the problem lies within the centerpiece...like I said, I've taken it apart, and all of the wiring seems to be in place...any ideas as to what I'm up against? I truly have no idea...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Problems w/Sankyo "Big Powerful Fever"

You solve that, let me know, I've got a couple that do that to varying degrees.

For those who want to know, it's a CRT that doesn't seem to scan vertically

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I don't know CRT's very well but if this is a common problem then it may be a poorly designed board that burns up a trace or a cap that is prone to failing.

Just my two Yen
    the

LLTR

6. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Lord knows why they design the rest to last so long, but these crt's are 13-15 years old. The one I have from CR Fever World I did work fairly well till I took it apart to clean the case and dust off the inside. Might have dislodged the coil wires or something. Still waiting on some replacement LED's for the rest of the cell to put it back together and do some testing.

The Big Powerful Fever sometimes works after it's warmed up, if that helps anyone with electrical diagnosis. It's just a narrow band across the center of the screen. When you get a spin, you can see that something is happening in this band.

Now this is from a completely different make/model CRT but it's saying to check some parts -
    NO VERTICAL SCAN -Check Resistor107, Diode13, IC3, Resistor75, Resistor91, Transistor1, IC2 - CHECK YOKE WIRES

Those part numbers mean nothing for what we need, but at least checking the resistors, diodes and transistors plus the yoke wires will be a start.
    Last edited by compirate; 05-31-2009 at 02:34 AM.

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For both of you who have horizontal lines in the middle of the CRT, the reason is simple but the troubleshooting can be complex, depending on your knowledge of electronics.

The horizontal line is probably quite bright, and in that case is not good to keep displaying, as it can burn that line into the CRT. The problem is the CRT has lost vertical deflection. Often this is the vertical deflection transistor, though other components in that circuit can be to blame. Of all the monitors I've fixed (primarily arcade monitors), 90% of the time it's the deflection transistors that go out.

If you or a friend is good with a soldering iron, and have a multimeter, you can remove the components for testing. A little random parts removal and testing will reveal the problem. Thankfully, it's usually cheap to fix. Good luck, and hope you fix it...

PS - A good indication of what part is bad would be information on how fast the problem happened. If the picture starts shrinking in either direction, it's most likely a cap to blame; if the problem happened instantly, it's a transistor or diode. Hope that helps...
    Last edited by JohnD0406; 05-31-2009 at 04:20 AM.
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

10. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Winnipeg Pachinko Correspondent dishpan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I must be watching too much late nite TV since it sounds like a larger capacitor is the answer to my love life.
    If you haven't grown up by age 50 ... you don't have to!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    I must be watching too much late nite TV since it sounds like a larger capacitor is the answer to my love life.
    The larger the capacitor, the greater the discharge!
    Ok, maybe that crossed a line... groan away...
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

13. The following user says "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    The larger the capacitor, the greater the discharge!
    Ok, maybe that crossed a line... groan away...

Just BE CAREFUL ! ! !

You Don't want to "FLUX" your Capacitor ! ! !
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh...: one just wasn't enough!!

thats what she said!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

16. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For both of you who have horizontal lines in the middle of the CRT, the reason is simple but the troubleshooting can be complex, depending on your knowledge of electronics.

The horizontal line is probably quite bright, and in that case is not good to keep displaying, as it can burn that line into the CRT. The problem is the CRT has lost vertical deflection. Often this is the vertical deflection transistor, though other components in that circuit can be to blame. Of all the monitors I've fixed (primarily arcade monitors), 90% of the time it's the deflection transistors that go out.

If you or a friend is good with a soldering iron, and have a multimeter, you can remove the components for testing. A little random parts removal and testing will reveal the problem. Thankfully, it's usually cheap to fix. Good luck, and hope you fix it...

PS - A good indication of what part is bad would be information on how fast the problem happened. If the picture starts shrinking in either direction, it's most likely a cap to blame; if the problem happened instantly, it's a transistor or diode. Hope that helps...
    According to the seller, "it was working perfectly, and the next day it wasn't". I actually picked it up at her home and left an envelope with $20 in the mailbox...so I haven't talked to her in depth about the problem.

I also know nothing about car engines...when I took the CRT apart, it was the equivalent of me checking out a car by kicking the tires...looked fine to me! Since I don't know what a deflection transistor is, I could be in trouble here...I'm not willing to spend a bunch of money on this machine...since I am such an electronics novice, I figured for $20 I could use the machine as a learning tool...if I trashed it in the process of checking it out, big deal.

I understand the mechanical workings of a vintage Nishijin B machine, but I don't know the first thing about these...again, for $20, I can rip it apart and find out. Thanks for the comments...any other ideas, keep 'em coming.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    The Big Powerful Fever sometimes works after it's warmed up, if that helps anyone with electrical diagnosis.
    In cases like this using a hairdryer to gently warm the board until it starts working, then blasting individual components with a burst of freezer spray can help track down where a problem lies. Also a few gentle taps on the circuit board with the handle of an insulated screwdriver can locate loose connections or dry solder joints (which can also start and stop working dependant on temperature).

In my days working in a TV repair shop and with arcade monitors, I've repaired quite a few cases of frame collapse (white line across the screen), and I'd agree with JohnD0406 that there can be quite a few reasons why the fault occurs.

Also have to state the obligatory warning with CRT monitors. Parts of the monitors use significantly high voltages (1000s of volts) and they can hold a nasty shock even hours/days after the monitor has been switched off. Please be extra careful when working on them, and if you don't know what you are doing, then it's probably a job best left for the professionals.

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    In cases like this using a hairdryer to gently warm the board until it starts working, then blasting individual components with a burst of freezer spray can help track down where a problem lies. Also a few gentle taps on the circuit board with the handle of an insulated screwdriver can locate loose connections or dry solder joints (which can also start and stop working dependant on temperature).
    I somehow missed that quote... Of course daverob is right on with that great troubleshooting advice. I have a thin round wood "poker stick" I use before taking everything apart. If I don't get lucky, I have a quick look at the board to look for circular hairline cracks in the solder joints (a magnifying glass is almost essential here). I also push gently on components on one side while looking at the solder side to see if one has lifted. If there's nothing obvious, and all signs point to a bad solder joint, I re-melt everything in the suspected troublesome circuit (brute force attack). It's not a bad idea anyway, as if one joint went bad, others may not be far behind.

I made some extra money in college by repairing CRT computer monitors (we didn't have LCD's back then). Due to everyone moving their stuff in and out of the dorms at least twice a year, heavy parts (like the high voltage transformer) with not enough solder, would break the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Also have to state the obligatory warning with CRT monitors. Parts of the monitors use significantly high voltages (1000s of volts) and they can hold a nasty shock even hours/days after the monitor has been switched off. Please be extra careful when working on them, and if you don't know what you are doing, then it's probably a job best left for the professionals.
    I should have mentioned that - shame on me... We're back to "discharge" folks The CRT (and some of the components in the circuit, such as the large box-like device with a wire coming out of it, going to the side of the CRT, which is the high-voltage "flyback" transformer), can render a really NASTY shock (I've experienced it, can you tell?). I had a bare CRT sitting on the floor for a few weeks (while waiting for parts to arrive), which was properly discharged when disassembled. I learned the hard way a long time ago that CRT's, not connected to anything, suck voltage out of thin air and recharge themselves. Even if you properly discharge the CRT, it should always be treated as live. There, now if you get zapped I won't feel so bad

The problem is very fixable - you just have to find someone who's not afraid to work on high-voltage equipment (due to experience or insanity). I'm a little of both - too bad you're not in Los Angeles...
    Last edited by JohnD0406; 05-31-2009 at 03:54 PM.

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a bare CRT sitting on the floor for a few weeks (while waiting for parts to arrive), which was properly discharged when disassembled.
    Been there, done that! Of course in my case it was properly discharged a few seconds after this discovery. Well to be a little more accurate, the pieces of the tube had very little capacity for holding a charge after they had met with the workshop floor.

I learned the hard way a long time ago that CRT's, not connected to anything, suck voltage out of thin air and recharge themselves.
    They do appear to do that, but what is actually happening is that the internal resistance of a CRT is so great that you do not fully discharge it when you simply spark it over with a wire lead (even if you do it several times until it doesn't spark any more). All that happens is that the area of the tube nearest the HT cap is discharged and there is too much resistance between the far surfaces of the tube and the HT cap for it all to be discharged in this short a time.

After a while any remaining charge will redistribute itself over the whole of the tube and there will again be enough at the HT cap to give a nasty shock.

I now have an HT lead from an old flyback transformer connected up to a length of earth braiding and a spring (to get good contact with the 'dag' coating on the outside of the tube). If I'm going to handle a tube outside of a TV/monitor, I fit this before handling it (always connecting the earth braiding first!). I know it is a bit of an overkill, but painful experience causes me to be a little bit more cautious about it all now.

24. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I highly recommend buying a pachinko (vintage OR modern...it makes no difference) for a nominal fee with the attitude that if you destroy it, no harm is done.

My recent "Big Powerful Fever" purchase for $20 has resulted in me taking it apart...nothing will make these machines less intimidating than ripping the guts out of it and and putting it back together. In the process of taking it apart, I found a couple of hanging-shelf-pins stuck in the machine...as well as figuring out a few things about the way the thing is put together. Like I said, when you don't feel like you have anything to lose, you take more chances...and end up learning a lot more.

Once it is back together, I can't say that it will work any better...if at all. However, I can say that I will have learned a lot about the modern machine, and for $20, it was well worth the effort. Since I got about 400 balls with the deal, I figure I'm break even at worst.

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Still working on mine, I'm getting ready to test some components, I see at least one cap that the top is a little bubbled at the top, an IC next to it got pretty hot too. It's interesting on these that the video roms are on a circuit board in a compartment under the CRT, so the one CRT can't necessarily be transferred directly to another game. I wish I could find a circuit diagram for this.

The circuit boards say "Sanyo CMK E-569".
    The CRT is a "Samsung A13KWS12X01" 6" color tube.
    One of the chips is a Panasonic AN5352, another is a Sanyo LA7824

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good luck Compirate!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

29. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks BigDog.

Ever figure it out? I just got my Big Powerful Fever out of storage two weeks ago, and am having the exact same problem.

Interested to hear if you ever got it fixed, and how.

Thanks

Eric

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by eschwesinger View Post
    Thanks BigDog.

Ever figure it out? I just got my Big Powerful Fever out of storage two weeks ago, and am having the exact same problem.

Interested to hear if you ever got it fixed, and how.

Thanks

Eric
    Unfortunately, that machine is currently "up on blocks" waiting for me to come back to it. Right after I got that machine, I picked up another that was more functional...just needed cleaning...since I'm a better cleaner than an electronics expert, I naturally went with the easiest of the two. I need to get back on the Big Powerful Fever and see if I can make any progress with it. If I do, I'll let you guys know.

32. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My monitor is sitting all apart on the bench waiting for parts. Pulled all the caps, it's about $6-7 to replace them all.

34. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast