Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st Pachi - Nishijin C - Arrived today!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1st Pachi - Nishijin C - Arrived today!

Well, my wait to join the "owner's club" is now over. My craigslist purchase finally arrived and thankfully pretty much as expected condition-wise. It was pretty darn clean and mechanically sound compared to many I've seen. Did have some jammed balls, but got those out without too much difficulty.

I spent about an hour or so doing general clean-up, polishing of chrome (which is generally excellent!), getting familiar with mechanisms, etc. Significant scratch on plexi. Missing other glass. Will likely just put a new set in, but that's not holding me back where I am right now. Looks reasonable.

All the tulips work. All linkages and such seem intact. Balls launch fine. Having a little trouble with payout, but I think that may be because I don't have enough balls to trigger all the necessary points along the way. It only came with maybe 40 balls or so. I bought 1000 on e-bay tonight.

Only other point of note is that it seems that I'm having some balls stick on the lower pathway, not reaching the plastic thingy that lets them fall into a lower chute that I don't know purpose of. I have learned that that chute must get a ball to it to release a catch that allows payout. I can make a payout happen if I twiddle everything in the right sequence. That's why I'm thinkin I just need more balls. Can't wait to get them!

Oh, one more thing. I'm a bit concerned that my playfield may have some water damage in the top area. Whe I saw the detailed pics prior to buying, I thought those were just ball path marks. However, other stuff is cleaning up with relative ease while the more jagged stuff at top is...I can't tell yet. Regardless, I'll still be very satisfied if I can't get that perfect as there's so much else to look at that you really don't see it too much.

Will update as I get further along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to marietta_ken

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1st Pachi - Nishijin C - Arrived today!

thats a really nice looking pachinko, thanks for posting the pictures
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Way cool machine!! Welcome to the club and thanks for the pics! I love the colors on the cell.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    Way cool machine!! Welcome to the club and thanks for the pics! I love the colors on the cell.
    Thanks. I wanted something a little unique. This one fit the bill for me. I'm going to be building a wall mount cabinet soon. Thinking of going with a dark sage type paint to tie into the playfield and lower ball tray colors.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by marietta_ken View Post
    Thanks. I wanted something a little unique. This one fit the bill for me. I'm going to be building a wall mount cabinet soon. Thinking of going with a dark sage type paint to tie into the playfield and lower ball tray colors.
    Oooo, that would look nice. Congrats on the nice looking machine.
    Machines I own: ...see my profile

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey congrats!!

That's a nice looking vintage, I like the face with the big toothy grin!!

and there's some great looking characters there too!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

9. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is a way cool machine! Can you see the dates on the expiration stickers? I'm curious to know when it was made.

Good buy!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My expiration sticker has a 54. As I understand it, that means my machine was to be removed from service in 1978 -- correct? I've also read (vintagepachinko.com, of course) that typical service life was 12-18 mos. So, add it all up and this machine was probably made in 1976 or 1977. My guess is that most folks would just call it a 1978 model.

I'm in interpreting this correctly?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool machine, best of luck!

13. The following user says "Thanks" to bill812

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question -- my shooter is awfully powerful. Has a nice feel, but easily launches balls past the playfield and down the "foul" chute if you press more than about 1/3 of the way. BTW, mine doesn't have a stop bumper to punch it back into the playfield area.

My sense is that the spring should probably be set to where the shooter will consistently hit a "foul" if you fully load, but that anything short of a full load should mostly stay in the playfield. That way there is more resolution to shooting power than I currently have. Does that sound right?

Through a little research here on the site, I learned of the spring tension adjustment plate/bar with holes. To my surprise, mine is set at the weakest hole already. The spring appears original, as does the old nail that sticks through the adjustment holes. It would be very simple to add another nail/screw a little further left to allow me to shift the whole adjustment bar. My only reluctance in doing that is that it's bugging me that it shouldn't be that way if all original. So, I just want to make sure I understand what the "correct" shooter behavior should be before I mod.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IT definitely has a LOT of character! er, characters! Nice find!
    Dawn

16. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

maybe you can find a weaker spring at the hardware store???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have you considered installing a pin with a rubber bumper to avoid the problem?

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

How do you hold the shooter? The pin goes in between the middle of the four fingers on your right hand (kind of like the Vulcan greeting thing), then the lever is pulled down with the thumb to rest on your pointer finger. Rotating your hand around the pin clockwise to shoot farther, counterclockwise to shoot shorter. If the tension is still too much, try stretching the spring just a little bit, then try again. An interesting note, the manufacturers usually put a rolled up bit of newsprint inside the spring for dampening/noise reduction.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's my suggestion on the spring tensioning. I agree that there should be more control over how hard it hits and it should be just as easy to 'not go far enough' as it is to 'go to far'. On one end of the spring, use a small section of solid wire to connect between the spring end and where it is currently located thus lengthening the "spring". I would think that the 'best connection' would have the adjustment bar set as close to the middle hole as possible. Thus you'll still have some adjustment either way. As you and other players become more accustom to the machines, you'll want to adjust these accordingly. We made adjustments on our machines several times before we found the right setting for each machine that makes them relatively consistent across them all.

Good luck... and I am really jealous of this machine. It's a vintage and yet colorful and flashy like a more modern one.

As for the dates. It was was my understanding that the year on the sticker is the expiration date and that the generally accepted theory is that the expiration was 3 years from manufacture. Thus a machine with a date of 54 work like this: 1926 (start of Shoya) -1 plus 54 = 1979 expiration minus the 3 years term equates to 1976 manufacture. If anyone knows the REAL expiration term I would love to know it or if my math functions is erroneous, please set me straight!

Thanks for all the post!
    Rusty Key

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That one sure reminds me of my machine--it shares the same red light and number 13 logo, except mine has one of those Chinese "good luck" cats in the center ball catch. I'll have to dig it out of my Mom's house when I get the chance--haven't looked at it for nearly twenty years.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

lets hope mom didn't "throw it out"

moms are famous for doing that

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post
    Here's my suggestion on the spring tensioning. I agree that there should be more control over how hard it hits and it should be just as easy to 'not go far enough' as it is to 'go to far'. On one end of the spring, use a small section of solid wire to connect between the spring end and where it is currently located thus lengthening the "spring". I would think that the 'best connection' would have the adjustment bar set as close to the middle hole as possible. Thus you'll still have some adjustment either way. As you and other players become more accustom to the machines, you'll want to adjust these accordingly. We made adjustments on our machines several times before we found the right setting for each machine that makes them relatively consistent across them all.

Good luck... and I am really jealous of this machine. It's a vintage and yet colorful and flashy like a more modern one.

As for the dates. It was was my understanding that the year on the sticker is the expiration date and that the generally accepted theory is that the expiration was 3 years from manufacture. Thus a machine with a date of 54 work like this: 1926 (start of Shoya) -1 plus 54 = 1979 expiration minus the 3 years term equates to 1976 manufacture. If anyone knows the REAL expiration term I would love to know it or if my math functions is erroneous, please set me straight!

Thanks for all the post!
    Good idea. Thanks for appreciating my machine and helping me out.
    That one sure reminds me of my machine--it shares the same red light and number 13 logo, except mine has one of those Chinese "good luck" cats in the center ball catch. I'll have to dig it out of my Mom's house when I get the chance--haven't looked at it for nearly twenty years.
    Hope you find it. Would be great to see some pics!
    How do you hold the shooter? The pin goes in between the middle of the four fingers on your right hand (kind of like the Vulcan greeting thing), then the lever is pulled down with the thumb to rest on your pointer finger. Rotating your hand around the pin clockwise to shoot farther, counterclockwise to shoot shorter. If the tension is still too much, try stretching the spring just a little bit, then try again. An interesting note, the manufacturers usually put a rolled up bit of newsprint inside the spring for dampening/noise reduction.
    Wow, some good stuff there! I've never heard that for shooting technique. I appreciate that info and the bonus tip about the spring!
    Last edited by marietta_ken; 01-16-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by marietta_ken View Post
    Question -- my shooter is awfully powerful. Has a nice feel, but easily launches balls past the playfield and down the "foul" chute if you press more than about 1/3 of the way. BTW, mine doesn't have a stop bumper to punch it back into the playfield area.

My sense is that the spring should probably be set to where the shooter will consistently hit a "foul" if you fully load, but that anything short of a full load should mostly stay in the playfield. That way there is more resolution to shooting power than I currently have. Does that sound right?

Through a little research here on the site, I learned of the spring tension adjustment plate/bar with holes. To my surprise, mine is set at the weakest hole already. The spring appears original, as does the old nail that sticks through the adjustment holes. It would be very simple to add another nail/screw a little further left to allow me to shift the whole adjustment bar. My only reluctance in doing that is that it's bugging me that it shouldn't be that way if all original. So, I just want to make sure I understand what the "correct" shooter behavior should be before I mod.
    using the shooter pulled at about 1/3 of the arc is about right for my machines. if you rest your fingers on the post and pull the lever with your thumb, you can adjust the impact and "aim" the balls.

on each of my machines, there is a sweet spot for getting the most jackpots. I have to play them at least 5 minutes to get into the "groove", but they tend to be a release at 1/3 to 1/2 the full arc.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is it not possible to add that bumper? All of my vintages have the bumper in place. Just one of my older moderns has the opening on the other side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast