Thread: Thunderbirds Classic - Possible LED Lights Malfunction

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Thunderbirds Classic - Possible LED Lights Malfunction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VceLWDs17tc

I've notice some of the inner LED lights flickering (top/right) or trying to complete a rainbow of colors that looks a little off (top/left). This is going on with the top four rows encircling the T2 Green Ship. Sometimes there is no light at all though I don't know if that's part of the show. Is this usual or a sign that the lights are going bad? Are they a easy fix? Would I unscrew the front panel (removing art) from the cell to get to them or go through the back wires and guts?

I know this is an older machine so I know there might be some up keep though is this usual?

Should I even bother and take it back to Hiro?

Any thought?

Crippenese spoken here. drcrippen324's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Thunderbirds Classic - Possible LED Lights Malfunction

if it helps heres a working thunderbirds and i dont see that one doing any of that bare in mind that machine was used for some real nasty experiments in to dongle bypass and credit reading for teh cr dongle please bare in mind incase you havent guessed the video is mirror image

YouTube - Tunderbirds pachinko
    My rice krispies told me to do it

please note pachitalk.com cannot be held responsible for any injuries or death that occur as a results of anything strange people like me suggest you do

3. The following user says "Thanks" to drcrippen324

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, so it does look like the lights are going out. Again, is this an easy fix or should I take it back to Hiro?

Is it just knowing what to pull out and solder back in or is it as simple as plugging fresh new LEDs in?
    Last edited by JSpirtos; 04-06-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would guess loose connection or bad solder joint.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How do I find out? How do I get to those stink'n lights

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it may just be a poor connection on that side, I had a section of door lights go out and that was the problem with one of mine.

I unplugged and reconnected the wires going to the door lights to fix it.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ThunderA.jpg ThunderB.jpg ThunderC.jpg
    Light #1) Either is on full or only lights two out of four bulbs depending on the color.
    Light #2) works the same as #1
    Light #3) Works 100%, all four bulbs change color when needed.
    Light #4) Lights on all 4 bulbs work or flickers like a bad florescent bulb in a 7-11 depending on the color.

Is the phoo-rainbow color on #1 usual?

If this is all due to a loose connection then how do I get to it? If bulbs have to be replaced, what are they and how to I get to them? It looks like I can unscrew and pull the front art that frames the LCD out from the cell though will this get me to those lights?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think they would be soldered in LEDS, Sounds like the one on the Beast Zap slot machines.

The problem is you will get machines that have lights out, they are used, as to the playabilty, it is still there.

If it was a new machine, Yes all the LEDS should work, but a used machine you will find this alot.

Some have found that resolding the LEDS have helped and others have replaced them.

As to the vendor having to replace them. If he said all the lights are full working, than yes, but if sold as a used machine, no.

Your next one could well be the same.

As I have told members "Remember these are used machine you are buying from container vendors. New machines cost close to 300,000 Yen."

I scour for NOS and Demo machines, but they cost more, because they are low used.

I container machines, have ran tens of thousand hours under the worse conditions.

Where the broken front on the red Ultra is one thing, this is not in the same realm.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but I say it as I see it.

A I have been on both sides of the table.

I sent out a bunch of Pica cleaners with the wrong Transformer, So I bite the bullit when I found out I screwed up I got the right ones and sent them out at no cost to the buyer and eat the loss on the other ones.
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

10. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to arbycoffee

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, I 100% totally understand that this is a used/older pachinko and wasn't trying to place blame on the seller. Hiro has gone way out of his way as a seller and I would never ruin his name.

I just want to know if its hard to check and change out LED lights. Also I am looking for hints on the best way to operate.

I can unplug/unscrew components and take notes on how to put items back together though have no idea what kind of LED lights to replace with or even how to check if it's just a bad plug-in connection.

I emailed Hiro yesterday and he said that without looking at the pachinko himself he couldn't determine the problem. The man is such a saint that he asked if he could come over (I live 40 miles away) just to look at the machine and maybe operate on it.

I'VE NEVER A HAD SELLER GO BYOND THE CALL OF DUTY LIKE THIS. HIRO IS ONE OF A KIND!!!

I want to say, "yes", though feel guilty for him driving all the way out here just to look at my machine. If I choose to have him do this then I might as well ask him to bring over the Thunderbirds 40th Anniversary pachinko. This way if it's not an easy fix I'll just do a trade and pay the difference instead of wasting his time. Plus I'm thinking I might tip for some gas money.

Does this seem fair?

12. The following user says "Thanks" to JSpirtos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JSpirtos View Post
    I just want to know if its hard to check and change out LED lights.
    Yes it's hard, unless you're skilled at surface-mount soldering.

I want to say, "yes", though feel guilty for him driving all the way out here just to look at my machine.
    You should feel guilty. Hiro powers up the machines for you to inspect before you buy them. The sales contract clearly states that LED's are not covered in the warranty. I suggest you take a closer look at your machines before you buy them.

Does this seem fair?
    No. Hiro is one of those people who will do anything to please you. Don't take advantage of that...
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee View Post
    I think they would be soldered in LEDS
    Quote Originally Posted by arbycoffee View Post
    Some have found that resolding the LEDS have helped and others have replaced them.
    They appear to be RGB LED's from watching the videos. They get "leaky" from heating up and cooling down - the resin shrinks and lets air in, requiring more current to light them, so soldering won't fix it. Sourcing replacement parts is difficult, as I'm in the middle of with my Fever the King.

Every RGB LED has different values for each color. The original parts were color balanced with different values of resistors. Even if you found a replacement part that meets the voltage requirements and physically fits, the color won't be the same (white will be off-white, etc.).

Here's a shot of the RGB LED's in Fever the King, which as I'm finding out are very common in these machines, and I haven't found a suitable replacement yet. These things are TINY - a needle point soldering tip and steady hand is needed to work on these parts.

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...9&postcount=19
    Star Wars R2D2 Vicky Chance Fever King Julie Pinball Lassen World Super Stadium Galaxy Railways Eva 4

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JohnD0406

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD0406 View Post
    Yes it's hard, unless you're skilled at surface-mount soldering.

You should feel guilty. Hiro powers up the machines for you to inspect before you buy them. The sales contract clearly states that LED's are not covered in the warranty. I suggest you take a closer look at your machines before you buy them.

No. Hiro is one of those people who will do anything to please you. Don't take advantage of that...
    Hiro does a great job powering up machines for buyers and I'm very grateful of his service. At the time I didn't notice the bad LEDs because they flashed during the "Lightning" on the Thunderbirds opening screen. He showed me that it worked and ran a ball through the main gate. Honestly I was more concerned about the LCD Screen than the LED lighting.

I told him what was wrong with the machine I picked up (under his 7 day return policy) and he's making good on that. Instead of demanding my money back (which I would never do) I'm asking for an exchange (he's out of the Thunderbirds Classic so I'm going for the 40th Anniversary Edition), paying the $75.00 difference and picking up a new lock and key for my Ultraman Packinko (I'm in the long processes of replacing a damaged door).

I offered to meet him out in City of Industry though email him that if he drove up to my house I would pay for gas. Either way is good for me.

All of this in cash.

I think this a fair deal.

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JSpirtos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hiro came over and looked at the LEDs. He was surprised because during the first revolution (about one/two minutes) they looked fine then when the Pachinko went into demo mode he saw all kinds of problems, some I never knew existed. He told me that the LEDs are a special order, that he had some back home and are really hard to put in. I didn't want to waist his time with that. We did a exchange for the 40th Anniversary Edition he brought over, I paid the difference and gave him $40.00 extra for gas (all he wanted was $10.00 and I had to nearly break him arm to take the money).

He also took a look at the Ultraman and was also puzzled about the lock and the bum key. I told him that once the door comes I'll bring it over to him and swap out parts.

I have some pros and cons about the replacement though it's sooooooooo worth having a actual Thunderbirds Pachinko (I love Gerry Anderson, especial Stingray). I've played it for about two hours now and its fun as hell! Tomorrow I'll work on the variable resistors and the frame.

I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times, YOU CAN'T BEAT HIRO!

19. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to JSpirtos