Thread: Oak Cabinet Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Oak Cabinet Build

I actually got a lot done tonight, just forgot my camera at work today (needed it for work stuff oddly enough)...

Anyway, step #1 was to make sure that the wood part of the Lumina frame was square. It was almost spot on, but I put metal corner brackets on to slightly straighten it (less than 1/16" off) and to keep it that way.

Once I had it rock solid, I went about making sure that
    the sides were all flush. no screws/washers sticking out even at all. This could/should have been done first, but it all worked out. My brackets kept it straight and made for easier adjustments to the frame screws.

I then put the main part of the electronic part of the frame back in to do some test fitting and checking for clearance requirements for the door to swing open, etc... The Lumina frame is pretty dang good in regards to not having to do much to make sure that it will fit, and operate, nicely within a cabinet.

Then I had to run kids around to various things...

After a few hours, I was home again, and took a look at my work bench. There was NO WAY that I would be able to easily cut exactly the same size boards unless I did a few things first... Most importantly, I needed to clean my workbench... It was just one large pile of stuff that had been building for about 9 months. Ugh... But I had to do it. It isn't 100% perfect, but man, is it nice to have it usable.

Next was taking my saw and bolting it down to the workbench to keep it still. Measure, remeasure, draw straight lines, and bolt it!

Then I built up a 2 foot wide "jig" that would lift any wood up high enough to be even with the cutting surface, and to also have an "edge" to force the boards to be 20.5" each and every time by just butting them up against the raised edge and cut. I was doing this all with my 12" miter saw (I couldn't figure out how to get my table saw to have a jig, and it wasn't wide enough to get the correct measurements. I also couldn't find any "extensions" for it in town, so miter saw it was.

One note, I did NOT take 20.5" to be anything more than an "average" to "rounded" number to use for estimating cuts, but I made all of my cuts to be exactly the width of my machine. I cut a test piece of wood, and then using come clamps, clamped on some temporary side pieces, and made sure that my test piece that was cut with the jig fit nice and snug, but not oversized. I managed to get it right the first time due to measuring and remeasuring and taking my time in getting the jig exactly right.

Then it was zing, zing, zing as I cut the 20.5" pieces (adjusted to my 20 & 7/16" need) as noted in Ken's instructions. I didn't do the plywood yet as I have to make a couple of measurement to account for my design changes that I will mention later.

So all that I need to cut now are the sides, the bottom front (which will come out of the areas on the side pieces that I will be cutting away) and the two plywood ramps.

I am not sure if I will get those done tomorrow night as Wednesdays are pretty busy for me, but I will at least snap some photos of what I did tonight and post them.

Until next time...
    - Nick
    If you aren't having fun, then you aren't doing it right!

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to nickbuol