Thread: Universal cranky condor hopper error HL

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Universal cranky condor hopper error HL

Just got a universal cranky condor machine (my first machine) and everything seems to work except for the hopper. Any time the hopper tries to dispense coins it runs for a second spits out 2-3 coins and I get a HL error. I don't know what HL means. I can push the clear button and the hopper will spit out another 2-3 coins. I have taken apart and cleaned the hopper, but that did not help.

There is also a switch on the hopper that was broken when I got the machine. I have replaced the switch, but don't know what it does. It seems to make no diffrence if it is on or off.

I hope this is enough info for someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks

Simpleton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Universal cranky condor hopper error HL

WELCOME !!!

you might want to post some pictures of the hopper & switch, also the machine. so everyone can get a good look at it & help you figure out the trouble...
    SPIN LUCK #2973 *** KING CAMEL *** SINBAD ADVENTURE *** AUTOMATIC *** WILD WOLF *** DEATH VALLEY *** NEO PLANETT *** THE CYBORG SOLDIER 009 SP *** DESTROYER

Thanks
    Thanks Received

are you using coins or tokens??
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

first and for most turn off all power and unplug your machine some hoppers are 100 volt and are danderous to handle plugged in .take a good look at the hopper and follow the wiring it should lead to a switch that is in the path of the tokens coming out (it may be an arm that triggers a switch under the hopper also) you may need to clean that switch or lubricate it they some times stick and don't count the tokens as they pass leading to the error also follow all the wiring and check for loose or broken connections .the switch you were talking about is probably a hopper dump switch which will empty the hopper of tokens if turned on .that isn't the problem if its trying to payout and your spitting 2 or three coins its the counting switch ...
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

http://www.wimberley-tx.com/~devine

This lik will take you to what pics I have. The crappy camera I used died in the middle of taking these pics. As soon as I have access to a decent camera I will post better pics.

Simpleton

ps please don't laugh at my complete lack of HTML skills.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great looking machine.. I love the old ones. I have an Eve that is exactly the same... inside looks the same & hopper too. I would be glad to help but I do not have access to it until 9/1.
    If someone here has not figured it out by then let me know & I will be glad to look at mine & try to help.
    SPIN LUCK #2973 *** KING CAMEL *** SINBAD ADVENTURE *** AUTOMATIC *** WILD WOLF *** DEATH VALLEY *** NEO PLANETT *** THE CYBORG SOLDIER 009 SP *** DESTROYER

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I forgot to add that I am using tokens. WHen I got the machine it had a mix of tokens and american quarters. I sorted through them and have tried both with identical results.

Its a neat machine, but it needs some work, and I have no keys, so that makes it a pain to reset. If I can get it all to work right I plan on adding new locks. Mabe replacing the program lock with a regular switch.

Simpleton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I also have a cranky condor with the identical hopper. I just tried the switch on the hopper and its to empty the hopper for sure. Up is to empty the hopper and down is where you leave it for normal operation, the red diode came on 1 time while the hopper was being emptyed. The diode came on when the hopper stopped kicking out tokens for a couple seconds then went out when the hopper found a few more tokens and never came on again. I will send you a private message to a link where is shows how to adjust this hopper, I would post it here but its to a different site and im not sure if thats aloud. I hope this all helps.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to rambo2723

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rambo2723 View Post
    I also have a cranky condor with the identical hopper. I just tried the switch on the hopper and its to empty the hopper for sure. Up is to empty the hopper and down is where you leave it for normal operation, the red diode came on 1 time while the hopper was being emptyed. The diode came on when the hopper stopped kicking out tokens for a couple seconds then went out when the hopper found a few more tokens and never came on again. I will send you a private message to a link where is shows how to adjust this hopper, I would post it here but its to a different site and im not sure if thats aloud. I hope this all helps.
    So when you flip the swith your hopper empties? Mine does nothing. This makes me suspect the board on the hopper. I pulled it out and checked all the diodes (the only thing I know how to check) and they all test good. Anyone know where I can find a used board for this thing?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes when I flip the switch upwards the hopper empty's, sorry I cant help you with any parts.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

where are you located simpleton ? If your near the pennsylvania ( philedelphia area )i'd be willing to look at it for you .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry, but I live way down in southTexas. Thanks for the offer though. Is there any way I can power up the hopper and test it out of the machine to make sure it is in fact the hopper and not something else in the machine? I have some tools including one of the finest storge o-scopes ever built. At least in 1978 it was. I also ended up with a function analyzer, but I don't know how to use it. one of these days I'll figure it out.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if memory serves you have a 100 volt motor on that hopper correct? and its drivin by a 24 volt relay . if thats the case you should be able to hook a 110 volt to the relay contacts and trip it to work with 24 volts dc from your power supply to the coil and the hopper should run .that will test the motor .but if its spitting out tokens already it isn't the motor control its the pulse that tells the machine that the tokens are coming out of it .Just because you can see the Ir light doesn't mean the receptor can see it .Also it could be hot all the time and be counting the dark as the tokens passing in which case to much light is getting to the sensor .This kind of problem is usually found in the coin sensors on the door and the belly glass emitting to much light .covering the mech with card board usually remedies the problem .
    Jeff

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good call. The shield that covered the electronic eye does have a few cracks in it. I covered it with that metal tape used for duct work, and it works like a charm. Thanks for everyones help in getting this machine working again. Now just a few bulbs and a few locks and it will be in perfect working order.

Simpleton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad to be of service thats what the forum is all about ... if you can pass the knowledge on to the next person with the same problem then we all benefit from the process .the Idea is to keep them alive as long as possible which can be a very long time if you have the ability to do so ...
    Jeff