Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When should Sellers leave feedback

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default When should Sellers leave feedback

OK - When I have sold items on eBay, I always left feedback once I have received and verified payment from the buyer.

Nowadays, it seems like sellers are holding their feedback at ransom till the buyer leaves them positive feedback.

One site explained it as "Feedback should reflect the entire purchase process".

This tends to bother me, and I inherently mis-trust sellers who do this.

However, I would like the opinions of those of you who sell on eBay often, if you don't mind....

Thanks!

Dave

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I for one leave feedback when I ship. I must admit that I am lax in how fast I can haul my butt to the post office. If it was open a little later in the evening it would be much easier for me, but they seem to be open at the same times that I am otherwise working. I usually wind up giving up a lunch (not a pretty picture for a fat guy :smt013 ) or have to wait and get up early on a Sat. to get the package off.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I leave it after I pays, But I understand where the ones who wait till you leave for them.

What has gone on, on the bay is buyers will (after the seller leaves feed back) use the threat of negtive feed back if the seller does not refund part or all of the shipping cost.

So some sellers started to leave feed back only when the complete transaction is done (meanning that the buyer has left feed back, preferable possitive), than they will match the feed back.

I don't like it, but I understand there is "Evil that lurks in the hearts of some people".

I have had it explained to me nicely and others that don't.

To show you I have different working standerds, as said I feed back after they paid, but in my tattoo shop, the customer pay cash in advance. It would be hard to get back the tattoo if they don 't have the money, right ?
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We should make this a POLL!!!

I think on a tangible product the seller should leave feedback once the customer has fullfilled their duty of payment or the item has shipped (in other words, before the customer leaves you feedback)

If they are slow or hard to get payment from they may deserve neutral or negative. If they paid immediately or what you feel is acceptable then Positive.

But waiting until they leave you feedback really drives me nuts. It says to me, okay I'll leave you feedback once you leave me feedback because I know you like the product.

If I am confident the product was as advertised and will meet the description I set forth then I as a seller don't need to wait to tell everyone the buyer fullfulled his end of the deal and paid in a timely manner.

:smt022
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do concure with you.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When you think about it, if all you do is buy on eBay, no selling,, it doesn't matter what your feedback rating is, does it?

It's not like I can set an auction up to only accept bids from people with a feedback score of 50 or higher....

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And now we have the flip side...

When I first started selling my book I was leaving feedback just after I sent the book out. They paid already and I left feedback based on that. After all it was an immediate purchase item, they couldn't get it without paying.

Then, another seller of ebooks bought mine for the sole purpose of leaving the negative. Had I not already left him a positive, he would have been much less inclined to act in this fashion. At this point, I stopped leaving the feedbacks until I received them. I didn't want to leave myself open to this again.

It's amazing how ebay will teach you at some point to stop being naive.

I currently have sold a book to someone that has not left me feedback, nor I him. A quick check of feedback he's left shows he has not left anyone feedback at all in over a year, even though he's made many purchases. This tells me that feedback is not important to him and so I guess we'll both just let this sale go by without feedback at all.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    Then, another seller of ebooks bought mine for the sole purpose of leaving the negative. Had I not already left him a positive, he would have been much less inclined to act in this fashion. At this point, I stopped leaving the feedbacks until I received them. I didn't want to leave myself open to this again.
    This is amazing, but then I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I quit playing Ultima Online because I was so disgusted at all the people who acted like ******** just because they could...

I know this is a stupid question, but did you try appealing the feedback with eBay?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I appealed to ebay three times. No luck. I paid $20 to square trade to mediate it. No luck and wasted money.

The buyer was using the name at the time of mrapplianceman. He had made 18 purchases and all positives both ways. Nothing to tip me off what was going on.

I received the negative 20 minutes after sending him the book. Not long enough to get it, print it out and read it. My testing showed that to take 37 minutes under normal conditions. So he didn't' read the book.

I utilized the square trade method since the user never contacted me, just shot the negative at me.

Square Trade contacted him and he replied to them it wasn't him, "herb brake jr. but his father herb brake sr. at a different email address. Well it was the email address I sent it to and the one listed by this user on ebay. The important thing here is, he replied to them.

Square Trade can remove a feedback if they receive no reply from the other party. Once contact has been made however, even one as lame as this one, all bets are off.

In the middle of this process, the user changed his ebay name to mrslotmachine. mrslotmachine then began selling an ebook to convert your machines to quarters. Which in my book, I suggest there's no need to make this conversion. He is also flying the Square Trade banner of a seller known to most who've watched auctions for a bit, slottechusa. Slottechusa used to sell that same book and he's using the exact same ad.

mrslotmachine was bidding on slottechusa's auctions, even won one I believe. This was information for me to get both id's kicked off ebay. The banning of slottechusa was only for two weeks however. mrslotmachine remains banned to this day.

When I approached Square Trade about all this showing this was in fact the same person and they were a Square Trade member I expected them to do something about it. I received the same response from them. Nothing. Since this guy was no longer replying to them but had in the first place, they closed out the ticket.

He knew because he was a member of Square Trade how to get around their system. They didn't' seem to care about this as he's still flying their banner in his ads.

The whole process turned me off to selling on ebay and I only have my book offered here because David was nice enough to take the time to put it up.
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And that is a good reason to wait.

Tulsa you are still 100% in my eyes, you get a letter from me ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok I dabble in Ebay sales here and there and buy here and there also. To me it is just a fun thing. I cannot and will not take it so serious that I have to worry about feedback ratings.

So here is what I do :

As the seller : I give immediate GREAT feedback for payment. My feeling is the buyer DESERVES this GREAT feedback as he/she has done all that is required of a buyer.

As the buyer : I will NOT leave feedback until I have recieved feedback from the seller. Why? = well I believe a good seller leaves good/great feedback as soon as I pay because I have done all I could to complete the sale contract.

So far all has been ok but I suspect a bad feedback will come along(as me being the seller) and when it does I hopefully will have enough positive feedback to show potential buyers that I am worth the risk to buy from.

I will not pay Ebay 20.00 to remove a bad feedback but I will write them about it. I did that once and they said basically "pay us 20.00 and then we will consider it"...I saw right thru that as I am nobody to them. But if I am Milt of Stealth etc you better believe it they(Ebay) will get things moving as the volume dealers will always have the treatment us little dawgs would like to have.

So there are my feelings on this and I am sticking to it until I change my mind :lol:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa
    The whole process turned me off to selling on ebay and I only have my book offered here because David was nice enough to take the time to put it up.
    Thats too bad as it was written to especially help people on Ebay make good buying decisions.

Makes you wonder how many products like this are not available to us because of the way Ebay allows bad feedback to be posted before it is reviewed. I suggested one time that they have a review panel for bad feedback before it gets posted as here we have a perfect example of a seller (Tulsa) no longer offering a book on Ebay that would not only earn Ebay fees but also help the buyer etc. Anyway I was told that they had looked into that and it was not feasible(for whatever reason).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Negative feedback is interesting as well.

For example, I recently bought '20% off coupons at Home Depot'. They would have been handy for a bathroom I was remodelling. Would have been, if they were real.

So, I Home Depot was miffed, saying I was using forged coupons and showed me what the real ones looked like. Ok, so I contacted the seller and told him they were fake, and I was going to report him to PayPal, eBay, etc if I dind't receive a full refund in 24 hours. I did receive my refund, which was good.

So, later I left negative feedback for him, stating the items were fakes, but that he did return my money.

He later sent me an email asking to mutually withdraw comments, his explanantion being that the money was refunded so the transaction was ok.

I wasn't buying it, but I wonder how many people do, and thus future buyers have no idea. I wondered why noone posted feedback that these were fakes, he sold a lot of them... I really should have reported it to eBay. Eh, maybe I still will if I get around to it..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with your Negative. As a buyer you weren't satisfied with the end product!

Plus you are letting other buyers know.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On My soap box.
    It is a Crime you need to report it.

Think of all the older people who might have bought one and are afriad to do anything.

Buck up and do the right thing, please.
    Off my soap box

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lockburn
    Negative feedback is interesting as well.

He later sent me an email asking to mutually withdraw comments, his explanantion being that the money was refunded so the transaction was ok.

WOW ! This one will be interesting to follow. It is obvious that he is commiting fraud yet he is using ebays system to get the negative taken off.

Let us know if Ebay forces it to a neutral rating because he pays the 20.00 to Ebay. BTW stick to your guns on this and make it as difficult as possible for Ebay to allow the change to a neutral rating.

In some cases it appears Ebay can be bought out for 20.00 or whatever it is. Yet Tulsa's didn't go since he probably was going against a hig volume seller that is able to escape thru the system.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have a nonpaying bidder on a 3.00 item, someone else left them a negative for no contact or payment,

they slapped a negative right back to him,

"you are a mean person for doing this, i hope someone beats you like a pinyata"

so i guess i'll have to let this slide to save getting a negative.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"The Bay" has a lot of Crazzzis, because it see only Money.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For what it's worth, DGI (pachislot777 on eBay) gave me feedback when they shipped my machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just started selling on eBay, just little stuff, and I asked around quite a bit before starting. The general consensus was don't leave feedback until the buyer leaves it. I've bought lots in the past, and had about 50-50 sellers leaving feedback. It never bothered me either way.

But as a small seller, I want all positive if possible, and there is no way to guarantee that but waiting will at least give you an opportunity to equalize.

I kind of look at it this way, as a small seller, I'll never sell something twice, or probably even ever get a bid from the same seller, so it just doesn't matter if their feelings are hurt if I don't leave instant positive. When I do leave positive, I fill it up to the last space with + etc. So in the end everyone is happy.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast