Thread: HOT Transformer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default HOT Transformer!

I was picking up a few coins that fell out of the hopper and i noticed that the transformer was extremely hot, so hot i couldn't keep my hand on it!
    It is a 6 amp but there is no resetable circuit breaker (RTC) on it!
    Thought all Stealth's transformers (machines) came with a RTC 6 amp transformer???
    Why no (RTC) on this transformer?
    Is 6 amp to small or do i have a bad transformer?
    I'm also gonna e-mail Stealth and see what he thinks!
    Hopefully if needed he will send a new transformer with an (RTC) and it wont get so hot!
    I know i have read on here that they shouldn't get very hot, and quoting stealth's previous post on this matter: "Your transformer is probably the most important part in the machine. They should never be hot and if you burnt yourself, shut it off immediately. Insist on a stronger minimum 6 amp transformer with a resetable circuit breaker (RTC). Also, look for the UL approval as well. The RTC is what will trip if there is a power problem and it will avoid damage to the machine or back into the wall...The UL just means that the transformer has gone through testing and meets Underwriters Laboratories testing criteria. Now here is the problem...cost.. There are very few dealers that will provide the better transformers with the UL approval and the RTC. Most only provide a 1 time (meaning if there is a power problem, the problem could pass the transformer...blow it and possibly blow other components as well"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: HOT Transformer!

what machine are we talking here ?????? do you have access to an ammeter if so connect it between the transformer and the machine on one lead (otherwise known as in series with the transformer this is the side going into the machine )or if your lucky to have a clamp on clamp it around one lead (now run it full tilt with the hopper running ). it should read at most 5.5 amp if it reads 6.0 your to high and need a larger transformer . then do the same on the input side of the transformer (the side that plugs in the wall .) if it reads higher then 1.5 amp than you need a larger transformer .if it reads good on the output but not on the input (out put is 4 times the input ) then you have a bad transformer and it should be replaced . if you have a unit with a large LCD display i recommend going to an 8 amp transformer anyway these units tend to draw more and need the extra power .Remember going larger never hurts anything the unit will only use what it needs and overdoing it just means the transformer doesn't work as hard .(for the motor heads in here its like powering a car with a 4 cyl or a v-8 the v-8 always runs cooler with the same load ) *****Note if you have never done this or dont understand how to do this get someone who does wrong placement of the meter or setting too small of a scale on a manual meter could be very dangerous and deadly *****
    Last edited by alstonj1; 03-13-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    Jeff

3. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The RTC kicks in at 130 degrees per the manufacturer. I have no clue what temp it was when it was "hot", but that doesn't matter. We are taking care of this and will resolve the problem to the customers satisfaction! No problem! By the way, I understand the machine does have the 6 amp transformer with the RTC in it.

5. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Stealth

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    The RTC kicks in at 130 degrees per the manufacturer. I have no clue what temp it was when it was "hot", but that doesn't matter. We are taking care of this and will resolve the problem to the customers satisfaction! No problem! By the way, I understand the machine does have the 6 amp transformer with the RTC in it.
    This is what it says on the transformer sticker:
    Power Volt SMR6-24-1 RTC
    Input: 115 VAC 50/60 HZ FLA=1.6
    Output: 24 VAC @ 6 Amps
    Ok, so i understand it has a RTC built in it.......i was going by the 1 you (Stealth) have pictured for sale on your website! That 1 shows a resettable RTC button that is lit up! Guess i don't have the same 1!?
    How do you reset it if it trips the RTC?
    As far as it getting hot, it gets hotter than it should be, like i said i can't keep my hand on it! And YES it does matter! To ME the Customer!
    Yes i have contacted you (Stealth) by e-mail and marie is helping me out!
    Marie said she tried to contact the manufacturer but they are in meetings until tomorrow (wednesday), she asked for a phone # which i gave her so she can call me tomorrow after she finds out info from the Mfg.
    I never said i was having a problem with Stealth, just the transformer......was just asking on here for some input as i know nothing about electronics and electrical stuff. Also asked on here in case it was normal to be so hot, also to find out( which i now know) about the RTC? That way if i was answered on here, I wouldn't bother you (stealth) about something that is a normal condition & or built into transformer! After more research on pachitalk forums i found out HOT is NOT a normal condition!
    So i contacted you to resolve the problem!
    Now let's see how it gets resolved?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sparks911...is it ok if we take care of this on a more private forum? Feel free to publish anything that goes on with this transaction, but I would feel more comfortable if we take care of this 1 on 1 if that is ok with you?

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Stealth

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Marie from Stealth called me promptly today, she is the nicest person!
    They are sending a replacement transformer! She also said if i need help installing it, I can call Eric the tech. and he will walk me thru it step by step!
    I will send them back the old 1 to test and try to figure out what's up with it.
    Problem resolved! I wish everyone was as good at customer service as marie!
    Thank You! Marie!

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to sparks911