Thread: Possible Bad Transformer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Possible Bad Transformer

I picked up the machine today and upon plugging it in, I get a fairly audible hum from inside the machine. I notice a transformer inside to the right where the overflow bin would go. The wire I plug in runs into the machine, through the transformer, back out the back, and in to the power supply of the machine. I included a pic to show what I mean. When I play and the sound of tokens being dropped in, or the sound of pressing the joystick, etc., I can see the yellow, 3 2 1 2 3 on the left side of the reels dim slightly. To finish it off, I was wondering if I was given a machine with a dieing and/or underpowered one. Also I think it might be good to bring it up to them directly.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Possible Bad Transformer

Here is the pic by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is this the first time that you powered it up? Are the reels sticking or out of their track alingment?
    Led Zepplin

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes it is the first time I powered up the machine. As for the reels, they are slightly out of alignment, but is not so bad. I can take a short video if needed. The sound is not so bad on the Chuby Funk Disco one, although I do suffer the same dimming of the lights when there is sound.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Possible Bad Transformer

I have also noticed in playing the King Pulsar, that the left and center reels do not look aligned up. The right reel has what look like a bump in the reel. You can see it as the reel spins. The humming of the transformer has starte to die down a bit, I guess maybe I am not used to a transformer machine. It still bothers me that the machine dims, and this is on the lowest volume setting. The reels though bother me, I usually get good machines from the dealer. Does anyone know what kind of transformers are in his machines and what they should be??? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

5-6 amps is usually a minimum. When all the lights and sounds kick in during a bonus, it takes a lot to power everything.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well in this case I did not see a power rating on the transformer, so I am not sure what it is. I do know though that after about 30 minutes of playing, the transformer was VERY HOT. I could not touch it for more than a second without getting burned. If nothing else, I thought they are not supposed to get that hot, maybe just warm or slightly more. My Chubby Funk has the same transformer in it with the same problems.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

If they get anything more then luke warm, they're too small. I wouldn't use then very much/at all till you get bigger transformers!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

6 or 8 amp would be wise
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post Re: Possible Bad Transformer

This was my email to Eric at Grandview Products and his reply: Please call the office this morning at 845-369-5969 and we will take care of it

Eric

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:41:04 -0500 "Brian" <brianebays@hotmail.com> wrote:

On February 19, I purchased Item # 280083811466 ( Rare retired model 1970's Disco Slot Machine NR) & Item # 280083812461 (King Pulsar Slot Machine - Wide Reel Model - 8" LED- NR). I had ample time to play each of these machine and enjoy them both, but have some concerns. In playing them, whenever a sound is made by the machine, all lit light will make a very noticeable dim. This includes inserting tokens, spinning and stopping the reels, and such. After a good 30 to 60 minutes of playing, the transformers get extremely hot, to the point that when I touched them, I got burnt pretty good. From what I have read in researching, these transformers should be warm, maybe slightly getting hot, but not what I have experienced. The fact that the lights are dimming is telling me alot too. I checked all electrical connections, made sure they were secure. The incoming voltage in my house ranges from 119 to 121VA max. The king pulsar has a noticeable mis-alignment on the reels with a "bump" on the right one seen as it spins. I really like ALL my machines I have purchased from you in the past, and seem to work well, but I just feel something may have been missing from these 2, as these are the first 2 I have purchased with transformers like these. I was curious of the output mA if possible, and hopefully find out what may be wrong here. Thank you for your time and appreciate your anticipated respone.

Regards,
    Brian Lenning

I spoke with a John as Eric was not in today and I was told that it is normal for them to get very hot and that I should check the "switch" on the door for the 50/60 hz setting. The transformer is a 125VA which means it's only slightly over 5 amps. I am thinking 6 too may be a bit small and would probably want to go with a 7 on each minimum. It seems like they are trying to backpedal out of saying the transformer is too small. I have to call him back today when I get home or early tomorrow morning before work.

If he does send me another one and its a 5 as well, is there a way to combine the 2 into say a 10amp? Just curious.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like I will be getting a new transformer for my King Pulsar. He found it odd I had a 120VA transformer (5 amp) in the machine and said that I send him a pic, (which I did) and he will take a look into getting me a new one. I emailed him that my Chubby Funk was doing the same thing and had the same transformer. If he decides to replace the 2, I will just go and retrieve them myself and then he will not have to ship them out. Otherwise for the one, it wouldn't be worth it for me to run out there. I will have to see what he says.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is the picture of it by the way.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your transformer is probably the most important part in the machine. They should never be hot and if you burnt yourself, shut it off immediately. Insist on a stronger minimum 6 amp transformer with a resetable circuit breaker (RTC). Also, look for the UL approval as well. The RTC is what will trip if there is a power problem and it will avoid damage to the machine or back into the wall...The UL just means that the transformer has gone through testing and meets Underwriters Laboratories testing criteria. Now here is the problem...cost.. There are very few dealers that will provide the better transformers with the UL approval and the RTC. Most only provide a 1 time (meaning if there is a power problem, the problem could pass the transformer...blow it and possibly blow other components as well) transformer with a very low amp rating...that is what you have here...Best of luck!

14. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Stealth

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, I am supposed to get a new one, but I have to find out on Monday as I was never given a reply. I will most certainly look into it as I want something good for my machines. I appreciate the info though. If the replacement one I get is just as bad, I am just going to find one on my own and make sure I do not get 24v machines from that dealer again. I really do not feel comfortable with what was given to me in this case. All my 110v machines are great though, which I am grateful for.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If Grandview doesn't come through with the right ones, give Stealth a call. Milt has them.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I most certainly will. Thanks for all the help thus far. I am now awaiting to see if the transformer comes or not. Also waiting on those 5000 tokens from Gaku due early this week!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachislo.com has 7amps for $18.50 shipped
    http://www.pachislo.com/pachislo/par...ansformer.html
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Lddrizzt View Post
    If Grandview doesn't come through with the right ones, give Stealth a call. Milt has them.
    that is where I buy mine from!
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I received another 2 transformers from them. Unfortunately they are the same (5 amp). The box was smashed and one of the transformers had a broken plastic cover and the terminals on the primary were pushed back. It still works though it just needs a little TLC.

On a better note though, I did some homework and found that you can take matching transformers and wire them in parallel on both the primary and secondary. So what I did, I took the 2-5 amo transformers and wired them so that I now have a 24v 10amp transformer. I then cut and wired and extension cord onto the appropriate ends.(pic attached). The lights on the King Pulsar still dim a bit which I am unsure about, but now at least I can keep the transformers cool and outside the machine like I originally wanted. I just re-wired the slot machine so that its a straight wire from plug to machine and labeled the wire to plug into 24v only.

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Brian

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It seems my problem has been resolved and I appreciate all the input that was given. It was definitely a lesson learned. Now the only other problem is, does anybody know where I can put all the extra slot machines I just had to buy . My partner is getting tolerant of the fact that I have 4 in the bedroom and soon to be 3 in my bedroom closet. We have one of those metal racks that you can get in Costco or BJ's wholesale, and they will holld up to 600lbs per shelf. I made it a 3 shelf unit with 2 on the bottom and 2 in the middle. The top shelf is just for extras as it is too high. Soon to post pics under the game room thread. I think I bought too many!

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Brian