Thread: New York Panorama

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New York Panorama

I went to the Queens Museum of Art last Sunday to see the NYC Panorama Model. Its a Model of NYC and all of its 5 Boroughs Manhattan,Brooklyn,Queens,Bronx and Staten Island. I took some pics of Lower Manhattan and also of The area of Brooklyn where I live. The Model is HUGE and the detail is unreal.The TwinTowers are well over 2 ft tall! For anyone coming to NYC it should be put on the must see list, as well as the great exhibit featuring items and the history of the New York Worlds Fair which must have been spectacular to have seen when it was open! THe pics are of the model and at first glance can fool you. Their is a glass balcony which you can walk around the entire model but it would be wise to have binoculars or a laser pointer to really see things and ponit them out. As a nice feature they turn down the lights to make the city light up then the Sun rises lighting the wntire display again. In the pic with Dahlia and Adina we are standing on the Balcony about 10 ft above the display which would be the north east of the city facing South and on the right side of the pic, the reddish brown area is Manhattan. The model is so large that the flash couldnt get more than about an eighth of it in the shot.
    I took some vids also and will be uploading them to Youtube. I also took a pic of the Worlds Fair Unisphere (Dahlia and Adina are in the lower right corner for scale) Its one of the remenants of the Fair. Here is a link to the Panorama as it gives a great description of it. http://www.queensmuseum.org/panorama/about.htm Hope you like!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Led Zepplin

2. The following 16 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New York Panorama

I was at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair 3 times in 1964. I have a lot of slides of pictures I took.

I even have some of the Chrysler turbine cars, which were all destroyed after the fair to save on import fees from Italy for the bodies.

all you could hear from the motor was a low whine, they drove them around a very small track.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I was at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair 3 times in 1964. I have a lot of slides of pictures I took.

I even have some of the Chrysler turbine cars, which were all destroyed after the fair to save on import fees from Italy for the bodies.

all you could hear from the motor was a low whine, they drove them around a very small track.
    Must have been a great experience. looking at the photos and the posters I can only imagine what it must have been like. Good on you that you were there! I think they had one of those cars on display!
    Led Zepplin

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

they had a couple of the turbine cars at the fair in the Chrysler exibit.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like how the unisphere is still standing. It's kind of weird how it sits in the middle of nothing now.

The museum sounds like a good day trip!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think the space pavillion is still there with the 2 towers, near the Unisphere.

I recently heard it was in really bad condition and needed to be restored or torn down.

Has anyone ever gone to Freedomland in the 60's in New York???? I was there once.

It was a theme park with the olden days of the east, north, south and west.

It only lasted about 5 years. It had the Chicago fire, western shootouts and a lot of other neat shows.