Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Babel!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Problem with Babel!!

Hi,

This is the first time ive posted here and I really hope someone can help me. I have a Babel machine I got at one of those traveling sales events that set up at fair grounds and convention centers. Its in good shape and was working fine until a couple of weeks ago I turned it on and it tripped the breaker and blue one of the fuses in the power supply. I had not done anything different from the last time i played it. I dont know much about these machines other then I thought it would be cool to have one in my game room. I also know very little about electronics, circuit boards, fuses, etc. This is what I do know. There are two fuses (10A-125V) in the power supply, only one blew. I replaced the fuse, turned back on and it tripped the breaker again but this time blew the other fuse, not the one I just replaced. I looked around for loose wires or anything else that might cause a short and didn't see anything. I replaced the blown fuse and tried it again with same results, blowing the oppisite fuse.

Any ideas???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Problem with Babel!!

its really hard too diagnose over the phone like this but it sounds like you have a bad transformer in the power supply . you might want to talk to Milt at stealth amusements he's a vendor that posts here . He has a lot of spare parts and power supplies .The only other possibility is it has a jammed hopper (if its using a 100 volt motor on the hopper ) if this is the case just unplug the hopper and replace the fuse and try again . where are you located? and does it pop right away or does it take a few min. before it pops?
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Im located in WA state.
    The hopper pulls right out with no problems and doesnt seem to be jammed. fuse still blows after pulling hopper out. Fuse blows fast, the second i hit the on switch the breaker trips and fuse blows.What does the transformer look like? Is it in the power supply box?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there are two types of machine those built for 100 volt use and those that are 24volt and have an added transformer to convert 110 volts ac to the required 24 volt ac needed to run the machine . if you don't see a transformer mounted inside your machine hooked to the line cord you plug in the wall then you have a 100 volt machine that has a power supply with a transformer mounted inside of it and you'll have to replace the whole supply or trouble shoot the supply and fix it and since you have no experience doing so id be easier to replace it . if i where closer I'd be happy to trouble shoot it but i live an hour north of phila. PA. and your across country from me .since the house breaker tripped id say the primary on the transformer is toast and needs to be replaced and that means you need a new power supply .the good part is that to replace it is easy a few wood screws hold it in and unplug it and put in the new one and plug it in and put the screw in and your done a true 10 min. job.heres the url for milts web page
    http://www.stealthhomeamusement.com/papa9.html
    Last edited by alstonj1; 08-26-2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It could be as simple as a crimped wire some where. Check the wiring and make sure there are no wires exposed or touching metal. Check and make sure there not pinched in a door hinge or under the hopper. Otherwise I agree Alstonj1 its the transformer or power supply.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I already have the power supply out and sitting in front of me. Every thing inside looks brand new and clean. Would anything be visible if it was bad? Burnt, melted, etc.

The link you attached, do i understand it correctly that the power supply is only $9.95? There is no point in doing anything else other then order it if that is the case. Otherwise i have a friend that is an electrician out at the Hanford Nuclear site and im sure he would check it out for me, but i wouldn't even waste his time if its only 10 bucks.

I attached a photo of the power supply. Do you see the transformer? The wall plug attaches directly to the PS with nothing in between. I dont see anything that looks like the a transformer(like the ones on Stealths site) inside the PS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is on the door and plugs into the power supply. Transformer???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Transformer in a power does not look like the external ones, The components in the power supply convert the electricity differently.

Send Milt an email and ask him about a power supply.
    demos@rochester.rr.com
    He will most likely get back to you within a couple of hours, he is really good about that.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi,

The problem you are having is most likely the power supply that you had in the picture, sometimes they are affected with power line surges, the other transformer is for a 24 volt machine, I have a power supply for your machine in stock, I charge $ 20.00 plus shipping, I have thousands of parts for all types of machines. Please let me know or contact me at info@applegroveslots.com.
    Jeff Ronco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

both pictures are of parts on the same machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the second pic is of the ballast that controls the light in the belly glass.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the first photo is your power supply and the part thats most likely bad . the second is the ballast transformer for your belly glass flouresent light not the problem most likely ....you can unplug it from the black and white wire connector and it wont effect the game play ...but most likely it will still blow the breaker . if it blows fuses it may be the machine but if its tripping the house breaker its the power supply ......your friend probably could repair your power supply but if you can get one cheap from milt its probably easier . can you show me some pictures of the inside of your machine preferably around the hopper area sides and back walls?
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The first picture you listed is the power supply, this located in the bottom left corner of the machine, the main power line that plugs into the wall goes right into it.

This machine is a 100 volt machine and does not need a 24 volt tranformer
    Last edited by Applegrove; 08-26-2006 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Jeff Ronco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just sent an email to milt. Its tripped the house breaker every time so it sounds like it must be a bad supply. my battery for my camera just went dead, its charging right now. as soon as its charged i will post more photos. I really appreciate u guys helping out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

judging from your photo and its only a guess since to prove it i would need to have the piece but the biggest probability is the large electrolytic capacitor to the top right in your power supply picture other wise you'd smell a acrid burning smell if you smelled closely and probably find burn marks on the board . caps usually blow open or short and its mostly with in the case but some do blow out the top or bottom . but it will short the supply causing a fuse to blow and your breaker to trip . its there to filter out spikes in the power source but do break down over time ......one of the things i recommend is once you do get it up and running again put the machine on a power strip with a built in breaker and a surge protector .Its well worth the extra money .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The "electronic capable" guys around here just live for threads like this. I am sure your problem will be solved quickly!!! Some of them even make housecalls.....
    Dawn

17. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by roscot
    I just sent an email to milt. Its tripped the house breaker every time so it sounds like it must be a bad supply. my battery for my camera just went dead, its charging right now. as soon as its charged i will post more photos. I really appreciate u guys helping out.

its no problem were glad to help thats why the board is here there is so little available about the insides of these machines that we all need to help each other and all we ask is you give others a hand if you can .... by the way Welcome to our little slice of heaven !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dattia
    The "electronic capable" guys around here just live for threads like this. I am sure your problem will be solved quickly!!! Some of them even make housecalls.....

and they say doctors don't make house calls anymore ....... ha I do !!!!but only for nice women with Betty Boop machines .......well maybe others I'll never tell.....
    Last edited by alstonj1; 08-26-2006 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Jeff

19. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think it is most likely the power supply since it is blowing the house breaker, no problem on the help that is what we are here for.
    Jeff Ronco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are the photos of the inside of my machine (I dont think they will help, problem is fixed I believe, but Im sending them anyways).

alstonj1, you were right, I took the board out of the power supply case and i couldn't see any thing wrong with the board but underneath the board there was a big burnt spot the size of a quarter right where the round black thing you thought might be the transformer. When I looked closer at the bottom of the board there were gaps in the green where the transformer was soldered. I received email back from milt and am going to order the power supply and I should be back up and running in a week or so.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I don't know allot about the machines but if i ever see something I do know I will definitely help as much as I can.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by roscot
    Thanks again everyone for the help. I don't know allot about the machines but if i ever see something I do know I will definitely help as much as I can.
    Another happy PachiTalk customer.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast