Thread: how to cut 1/8 inch off the long edge of acrylic?

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Total Points

Muwahaha  :firedevil - takethecastle57  Happy Holidays - takethecastle57  Happy New Year!! - hanabi  "a summary of vintage info. threads"  what a super contribution, thank you!! - hanabi  For an outstanding job on the "Franken Pachi"! - JACKSJE4  Happy New Year! - outdoorenth  for comuting between Berkely to Salinas - takethecastle57  Yipppppiiiiiiiiie - takethecastle57  Howdy - takethecastle57  Welcome Back!! - hanabi 

Default how to cut 1/8 inch off the long edge of acrylic?

hi again.

looking for technical advice.

I have an acrylic sheet 1/8 in thick, approx 16 x 20 inches, that was extra from my ginza vintage machine.

I need to take 1/8 inch off the long dimension, to fit the nishijin or maruhon machine, since they are slightly narrower.

how would you do this?

I have a couple ideas, but I thought you guys might have some better ones.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 85 Times in 19 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Happy Easter!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday To You!! - hanabi 

Default Re: how to cut 1/8 inch off the long edge of acrylic?

If you have a power sander, You can take it down that way...just watch out for melting plastic. Use gloves and eye protection.
    Youngjedi

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Blog Entries
    Groans Given
    Groaned 1,419 Times in 649 Posts
    Total Points

LLTR!! - hanabi  welcome to the club congrats bud - drcrippen324  LLTR!! - MrGneiss  The Revolution Lives!!!  LLTR!!! - Card Shark  Happy Green Day!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Extra cake cuz I know how much you love CAKE!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy New Year!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday!! Now eat your cake!! :-D - MrGneiss  To keep your snake in!! :-D - MrGneiss 

router and a straight edge if you got it..
    safety equipment optional!

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 109 Times in 36 Posts
    Total Points

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!! - Card Shark  Hope Santa brings you the toy you want! - naha13  Happy New Year!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Green Day!! :-D - MrGneiss  For going above and beyond the call for a pachi box! - naha13  Happy Birthday Jeff!!  :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday!!! - Card Shark  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday To You!! :) - hanabi 

I used a metal straight edge and sharp utility knife to trim the acrylic on one of my machines. I sandwiched the acrylic between the metal straight edge and and a scrap piece of wood and used strong clamps to keep everything in position. I then made the first cut in the plastic slow and careful, then repeated about 10 times before the 1/8th inch piece came off nice and clean.

You could probably use a router or Dremmel instead of the utility knife and get the same result.

Good luck!
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Thank you cake for everyone. - chmer01  Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday! :) - dattia  Enjoy some birthday cake - chmer01  Happy Birthday To You!! :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss 

what i use is an air grinder fitted with a 50 grit disc.grind at the slowest possible speed so you don't melt the plastic.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to pinball wizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 1,188 Times in 295 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Halloween!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Welcome back! Have a beer! :) - dattia  Clover for you!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! - Card Shark  Happy Birthday to you!! :) - hanabi  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!! - Card Shark  Happy New Year! - pachiwall  Happy Birthday To You!!  :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss 

I cut a strip of acrylic for the chip area of my roulette table ( roulette table ) and used a table saw. I suppose if I had an appropriate blade it would have been perfect, but even with a carbide tipped wood cutting blade, it came out well.

I'm curious how the manufacturers cut the stuff?
    A Hardy har har...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Total Points

Muwahaha  :firedevil - takethecastle57  Happy Holidays - takethecastle57  Happy New Year!! - hanabi  "a summary of vintage info. threads"  what a super contribution, thank you!! - hanabi  For an outstanding job on the "Franken Pachi"! - JACKSJE4  Happy New Year! - outdoorenth  for comuting between Berkely to Salinas - takethecastle57  Yipppppiiiiiiiiie - takethecastle57  Howdy - takethecastle57  Welcome Back!! - hanabi 

I used a wood cutting blade in my small circular power saw once, and it really chipped and kicked. Bandsaws are nice, with a guide, but I don't have one.

Going to see if I can find my router. If not the rotozip is second, belt sander 3rd.

Thx for ideas.
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 126 Times in 84 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday to you!!  :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday - cardwwi  Congratulations on reaching 9,000 Posts!!  :) - hanabi  Happy Halloween!!  :) - hanabi  Merry Crabmas!! :-D - MrGneiss  Merry Christmas to you and your family  :) - hanabi  Thanks! Merry Christmas - pachiwall  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday to you!!  :) - hanabi 

i would go with a table saw for a nice straight cut if needed.. but a belt ansder sounds the allaround best for the small amount your wanting to remove...

if u need a belt sander let me know ill bring it sat..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 128 Times in 58 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  For Going Above and Beyond - Moparformances  Happy Easter!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday To You!! :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss 

Table saw is the best or a router if you have a good straight table and the proper bit.
    Led Zepplin

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Total Points

thanks for the ideas. I could NOT find my router , nor was I sure that I had the right bit for this, so I used my rotozip, which was... only so, so.

it is not a perfect edge, I broke one tip, and I burned the template wood, but the slight ridges won't show in the frame. suppose I could smooth it out a bit with the belt sander - i DO know where that is...

I sooo have to get organized. I barely found the clamps, and this really would have been a disaster without them! (ER doc visits ER with blade embedded in hand...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PachiTalk

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 85 Times in 19 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Happy Easter!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday To You!! - hanabi 

A belt sander isn't really necessary now, Just take some sand paper and wrap it around a block of wood. All you need to do now is knock down the rough/sharp edges.
    Youngjedi

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Youngjedi

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 128 Times in 58 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  For Going Above and Beyond - Moparformances  Happy Easter!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday To You!! :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss 

After you sand down the edge wave a torch across it to clear the edge. If you dont have a torch you can use a buffing wheel on your rotozip
    Led Zepplin

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Eddie

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Total Points

24. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to leahmcee

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Total Points

thanks! those are great references.

looks like my problem with chipping was vibration. I did not have the acrylic sheet firmly clamped the time that I tried with the hand power saw. either that or a dull blade.
    PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Groans Given
    Groaned 126 Times in 84 Posts
    Total Points

Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday to you!!  :) - hanabi  Happy Birthday - cardwwi  Congratulations on reaching 9,000 Posts!!  :) - hanabi  Happy Halloween!!  :) - hanabi  Merry Crabmas!! :-D - MrGneiss  Merry Christmas to you and your family  :) - hanabi  Thanks! Merry Christmas - pachiwall  Happy Birthday!! :-D - MrGneiss  Happy Birthday to you!!  :) - hanabi 

Quote Originally Posted by leahmcee View Post

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead