Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Pachi Site - Need Advise

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Pachi Site - Need Advise

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Not really, I've got some older documentation that covers most manufacturers from 2000-2006
    Could you provide me with that information so I can include in my selection form? I basically need a starting list of manufacturers and a starting list of pachinko frames. The online form is developed in such a way that people always can add new manufacturers or frames, but to make this work from the start, I would like to cover what I can from the start. On the machine detail page, I'll be adding linking the manufacturer and frame name so that people can easily find other machines from that same manufacturer or with that same frame.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All the documentation is in Japanese. I started translating the game names and listing them on my website, some are good accurate translations, some are whatever google translate spat out at the time and I haven't updated them since. There's a lot more than that in the original documents,

How will you be listing the names of the machines? English translations of the names, English pronunciation of the Japanese names, or the Japanese names (in Kanji/kana). It may be useful to have all three in the database as translations are always good to have and easiest for non Japanese speakers to cope with, the pronunciation will give an idea of how to say the Japanese name, and the original Japanese name would be the definitive name (as there shouldn't be errors in translation). It's also good to have the name in Japanese, so you can search for Japanese pages/videos.

The manufacturer and frame names may also benefit from having English and Japanese fields.

You're welcome to copy any information off my website to aid in setting up the database. Alternatively I'd be willing to do a bit of alpha/beta testing of the database and have a go at populating it with the 2002-2006 machines that I have the documentation for (and a few years either side where I have incomplete info) before it goes live.

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How strange is that ... I've been so many times to your site and I never even noticed the whole slew of information you have there. I guess I just kept concentrating on your dongles! This will definitely help me a lot in understanding how I can make my site more than just another database. Thank you for sharing this, it is highly appreciated.

I was actually hoping Dave that you would be willing to take the new site for a spin before it gets officially launched. Thank you! As I mentioned before, I'm not all that experienced in pachinko and pachislo yet and look forward to some expert advice so I'm missing anything major at launch. It's progressing nicely and I'm hoping I can share something with you within the next 3 weeks. Some parts like the signup process, the ability to add new machines, filtering of machines, and listing of machines have been completed but more testing, additions, and adjustments are needed prior to sharing the site with you.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Yob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Yob View Post
    I guess I just kept concentrating on your dongles!

sorry to be a child and post this...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright, quick update on the progress of my new pachi site...

The following has been completed:
    > Ability for a user to register, login, reset password
    > Add a pachislo or a pachinko machine with general information, frame, manufacturer, year, options, ...
    > Ability to upload pictures to a machine
    > Ability to submit videos of any machine
    > Browse and filter pachislo and/or pachinko machines

What's next?
    > Add ability to rate a machine and leave a review
    > Add ability to upload PDF files to a machine
    > Figure out how to link machines of the same series
    > Extend filtering of machines to manufacturer and frame
    > Focus on frames
    > Ability for users to indicate that they own a pachinko or pachislo
    > Figure out user profiles

When is the site going to be ready? Well it will never be ready but for an initial launch I'm shooting for the end of the year although I'm not committing to anything because we still got some work to do. Everything is written from scratch so that takes a bit and a lot is going to depend on the beta test phase and what comes out of that. If some critical features are needed prior to launch, then it might take a little bit longer.

Stay tuned!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2