Thread: A Modern Problem Child!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default A Modern Problem Child!

I have a Sankyo "Big Powerful Fever" CR. Pictures will follow from my phone. Sound works, lights work, shooter works.....wait......wait.....but the
    CRT does not work. It only has one (1) horizontal line across it. I have read all ( I think ) the posts about this dreaded CRT problem. They talk of replacing the caps and maybe some resistors. My problem is that I am in FL on the west coast (Bradenton, FL) with virtually no tools. Does anyone know of someone from Tampa down to Ft. Myers that could work on my pachinko. I will deliver it and pick it up.....pay them for parts, and their time. I just hate to see a 90% working pachinko sit and rot......or worse yet.....part it out. Anyone who has fought this battle.....AND WON.....please give me your two cents worth. Thanks in advance.

******* PICTURES TO FOLLOW ********

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: A Modern Problem Child!

Pictures:The picture shows a wider line than it is. It is just a thin line with some color dots on the left and right edges.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MGB1977; 10-11-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK! Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is it the CRT that is bad or is it a board that feeds the CRT? Should the frame still be good, and just the cell that is bad? If it is the CRT or a board causing the line.......does anyone have a working board or CRT that fits the Sankyo "Big Powerful Fever" CR that they want to sell? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Probably bad caps on the board behind the crt, I've got one with the same problem

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

5. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do a search online and check out electronics and tv and video forum's. Might get more info there
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All the connections are good ? Have you carefully unhooked them and reseated ? Can you locate any ribbon cables that feed it ? It might need a local electronics repair guy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

9. The following user says "Thanks" to samslack

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am rejuvenating this as I am working on it again. All the connections seem good. Everything still working .......except the CRT. Does anyone have a working CRT or video board for a Sankyo Big Powerful Fever. Thank you for looking again.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The CRT is not bad. Your problem is insufficient vertical deflection. The first thing I'd check for is a cold joint, or cracked solder joint on any of the large solder points. Make sure you discharge the high voltage wire going into the side of the CRT before anything else, or you might get a very unpleasant surprise! If everything is good solder wise, check these links they might be helpful to you.

https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/crt-tv-no-vertical-deflection-after-changing-vertical-ic-and-capacitors-around-it.254482/

https://tvrepairtips.org/taxonomy/term/10/all

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hkp

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The likelihood of finding a good replacement monitor or board will be quite low. So you will either need to get a soldering iron out, or find someone who can tackle this kind of thing to help you.

Frame collapse is usually caused by either the vertical deflection chip going bad, or one of the components around it (usually an electrolytic capacitor). Somewhere inside the monitor will be a circuit board with the deflection circuits on it, a good photo of that board will enable one of us to point you towards the problem area.

The most important thing is that CRT monitors contain _very_ high voltages, and even a small CRT like this one needs several thousand volts to drive it. If you don't know what you are doing inside the monitor housing, then I'd recommend not touching it at all, and finding someone experienced with CRT monitors/TVs to fix it for you.

The other way or tackling this would be to figure out the drive signals to this monitor and replacing it with a suitably sized LCD panel and an RGB converter board.

14. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

MGB1977; I’m not sure what your skill level is with electrical/electronic repair. If you are uncomfortable attempting the repair, you might try an older, established TV repair shop in your area. The repair shouldn’t be an expensive one, and should be a snap for someone who has lots of experience with CRT devices. TV repair old timers can do the repair without the benefit of schematics, which I take, are not available. Even if you found a board to replace, the same problem might occur down the road because of the age of the components. A proper repair should at least provide confidence down the road with the electronics of your machine.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to hkp