Thread: Machine power/ Loose wires

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Machine power/ Loose wires

[FONT=Georgia]OK, so i have this machine. And I am a bit lost. Did a bit of research (not a ton) and found some useful info.

Sorry, Hi I am 'Kermit', I am new here. Was given a machine with no glass, now Im interested.

Ok, my issue, will attach pics in no specific order so please bear with me, is I cant seem to get he bulbs to light when hooked up properly. When jumped they seem to be just fine.

Also, not sure where these two black wires should go (maybe why I cant get lights to work). Sorry so scarce on the writing, pics should help.

Also will not be fonting again...lol.
    [/FONT

Have now tried posting pics 4 times (stupid phone) going o reply with pics.20160407_213830.jpg

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to KermitPlaysChinko2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Machine power/ Loose wires

Hello and welcome. Neat looking Three Star . Looks like you have an attack gate, will likely require both 9-12 volts for the standard lights and 24 VAC for the Solenoid driven attack gate. Pics of the back will definitely help.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yes a few good pics of the back would help..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I didn't see the brand name...but it does have an attack door! Therefore I agree with Tink...a Three Star it is! I have only seen about 4 or 5 machines with an attack door, ALL were Three Star brand. There should be two terminal blocks each with two thumbscrews and probably a fuse for each. One is 10 volts, the other 24 volts. The 10 volt screws are for the lights, and the 2r volt ones are for the attack door. There is a transformer from Radio Shack, known as a "center tap" that provides both 24 volts, and 12 volts...needing only one plug to the wall. Not sure about your loose wire. Post a pic of the back, and it will make sense!

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

20160407_213910.jpg20160407_213910.jpg

Sorry, hunk o' junk phone gotta post . At a time.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KermitPlaysChinko2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

20160407_214009.jpg

20160407_214819.jpg this is jumping the bulbs direct.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KermitPlaysChinko2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

love these.. i have bought 20 or more for several vintage pachinko.. the price for this one seems a little high.. but its the one to use..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Rad...kAAOSwJcZWdsma

you other option is to change the bulbs to 24 volt and then get a different power source.. but this is the only one i use..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As best as I can tell from the pics...the fuse block with tbe thumbscrews is power for the lights. The white connector between it and the ball hopper is for the attack solenoid. They should be isoated circuits...meaning two different circuits. Try to follow the wires from the white plug. It likely runs a loop to the attack solenoid, and to a switch activated by jackpots. Looks like some wires go to the bottom of the machine, where jackpot balls exit...different from where lost balls exit. I expect this is where the switch for the attack solenoid is.
    The fuseblock with the thumbscrews may be a little more difficult to follow. It has two circuits involved. One circuit lights a bulb or bulbs for each jackpot. Another circuit to light a bulb to indicate that the ball hopper is low on balls. The low ball circuit can be identified by pressing on the lever that balls rest on when the hopper is filled. This lever moves a linkage that mechanically blocks balls from reaching the shooter. It also presses a leaf switch...or a microswitch. This switch lights the low ball light. Hook up a 9 volt battery to the far right and center thumbscrews and work that switch. This should make the low ball light turn on and off.
    Try to take some pics of wiring and switches. Not too close...making it hard to tell what part of the machine it is at.
    I understand the posting pics frustration! Since my laptop crashed, I have been trying to post pics with a forward facing camera on a tablet. What a pain!
    I will try to take some pics of the wiring on my Three Star machine, and how the attack solenoid is wired. It won't be the same way...but, just to get an idea of what is going on.
    Not sure of your level of understanding of electricity. These are simple circuits, but 3 different things are going on, and it can get confusing. Just remember that there are TWO completely different circuits...a 24 volt circuit, and a 10 volt one. The 10 volt circuit can be safely run on the 12 volt circuit of the transformer that Mopar linked to. It also has the 24 volt circuir as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
    Post some more pics...and ask whatever questions you have!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 04-10-2016 at 02:34 AM.

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

By the way...the eBay link that Mopar posted is for a lot of five! Go to the eBay search bar at the top, and type in the number 273-1366a , there are several singles for sale. Some new in package as low as $8...watch out for shipping!

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is the backside of my Three Star.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463240000.jpg I don't normally write on the backs with sharpies...but I thought this one needed labeling. The terminals labeled 12 vac are lights. KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463177000.jpg They go over the hopper and to the lights. Of course one of them has to go past the lights to a switch. KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463298000.jpg This is the switch that lights the jackpot lights. The low ball switch is missing. A wire broke off, and I melted the plastic trying to solder it.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463275000.jpg The 2 green wires behind the grey wires, are the low ball wires.
    The grey wires are thicker gauge, and come off the 24vac terminals. I don't know why there is no fuse in the 24v terminal block, clearly I will have to add an inline fuse. As mentioned before...this circuit is totally isolated from the 12v circuit. They grey wires are power to the attack solenoid. The blue wires coming out of the solenoid are the switch wires. On my machine, they go to a microswitch mounted to the jackpot assembly.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463275000.jpg Every time the jackpot dumps, the switch triggers the solenoid to open the door. There is a hole in the bottom to adjust the duration of the time open.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463681000.jpg
    As stated earlier, a center tap transformer is best for these machines.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459463992000.jpg This one needs to go on my PowerFlash. 120volts to the black wires, the center black wire and either yellow is 12volts...and both yellow wires is 24volts. The one I'm using for this machine now looks loke this.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459465815000.jpg with only one transformer for both voltages, makes for a nice clean installation.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459466404000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1459466427000.jpg I'm sure I could have explained that better...so feel free to ask any questions you have...with pics of your question as well. Your switches will be in different locations...I believe your attack JP switch is down low at the JP ball exit.

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall