Thread: Rock Tumbler/Crushed Walnut Shells

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Rock Tumbler/Crushed Walnut Shells

All:

I recently bought a rock tumbler. I put in my tarnished pachinko nails mixed with crushed walnut shells. It has tumbled for about 12 hours with no noticeable change to the nails. Any suggestions?

Let me know,

Mike Pennell

2. The following user says "Thanks" to mxp01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Rock Tumbler/Crushed Walnut Shells

How badly were they tarnished? You may want to put some brass cleaner in with the shells. You could also try soaking the nails in vinegar or rust remover overnight to see if that helps. Also want to make sure that everything has room to tumble. If you have the drum packed tight with shells then nothing can move and get clean. Leave lots of room for the nails to move around.

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is it a rock tumbler or a tumbler for brass shells? I think rock tumblers are meant to use liquid instead but not really positive they all do. I have 2 of these and they work great. http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Pro-1200...ords=Lyman+pro

I have one with corncob media that is their own brand and one with walnut shell that is meant for reptile bedding I think. I like the corncob better though takes longer the walnut is very dusty. Add a little metal polish and either one will work great.
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i agree with mrtoad.. i use a vibrating tumbler with walnut shells and polish

please post pics of your tumble and the finished balls
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used to use polish in the tumblers but no longer do. It made my walnut shells nasty and I had to change the media after every machine or two . Soak overnight in vinegar, it will do wonders.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I used to use polish in the tumblers but no longer do. It made my walnut shells nasty and I had to change the media after every machine or two . Soak overnight in vinegar, it will do wonders.
    after the vinegar soak what do you do? I have soaked things in vinegar to remove rust but then they still are not shiny?

thx!
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The vinegar soak gets them ready for the tumbler so that it does not take forever to tumble with the walnuts.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

15. The following user says "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For really bad ones I let them
    • soak in some CLR for about 3-4hrs.
    • Then into the tumbler with walnut and a blob of turtle wax chrome polish, let run overnight or till most tarnish removed.
    • Then change out to clean walnut and let run till shiny.
    • Rinse with water and let air dry.
    • Then you can reuse the walnut from the second run for the first run next time.

And make sure you use gloves when handling polished nails as the oils in your fingers make them tarnish faster.

A vibrator would work much faster but I picked up my tumbler out of someones trash so I'll stick with it.

100 machines and counting...

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Gentlemen:

I'm sorry for the late response. I've been a bit busy at work.

Allow me to explain my constraints:

I work for the USG in southern Iraq. We have very, very limited access to any outside market or have to scrounge for certain items. There are also pretty stiff restrictions nowadays on what we can ship in the mail and/or bring with us on commercial aviation. Many fluids/liquids/paints cannot be shipped or transported.

I bought a Thumler Tumbler Model MP-1 #101. It is a cylinder that turns on a couple of rollers, like a dynamometer. The nails themselves are not shiny, with an almost dull brass looking finish. I should be able to get vinegar at our dining hall to soak them in. I was also able to get a container of Bar Keepers Friends in my bag and over on my last flight, but that is the closest thing I have to brass cleaner/polish. Now, I my boss is going on leave and will return in a few weeks, so I could ask him to try to bring me some polish/cleaner if possible (and am open to recommendations).

Ultimately, I'd like the nails to look bright and shiny. I tumbled a number of them for about two straight days in the walnut shells with now noticeable difference (they still looked like tarnished brass). How long should the tumbling take to clean these? Oh, and I do not believe the cylinder is over packed, but I can reduce its volume. Should I use a lot/little of the crushed walnut shells.

Finally, I spent about $75 on this tumbler. I'd really hate to have to replace with a vibrating model.

Let me know your thought,

Mike Pennell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If there are any military guys around they might have some brasso so on hand. Gotta keep all that brass shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by mxp01 View Post
    Gentlemen:

I'm sorry for the late response. I've been a bit busy at work.

Allow me to explain my constraints:

I work for the USG in southern Iraq. We have very, very limited access to any outside market or have to scrounge for certain items. There are also pretty stiff restrictions nowadays on what we can ship in the mail and/or bring with us on commercial aviation. Many fluids/liquids/paints cannot be shipped or transported.

I bought a Thumler Tumbler Model MP-1 #101. It is a cylinder that turns on a couple of rollers, like a dynamometer. The nails themselves are not shiny, with an almost dull brass looking finish. I should be able to get vinegar at our dining hall to soak them in. I was also able to get a container of Bar Keepers Friends in my bag and over on my last flight, but that is the closest thing I have to brass cleaner/polish. Now, I my boss is going on leave and will return in a few weeks, so I could ask him to try to bring me some polish/cleaner if possible (and am open to recommendations).

Ultimately, I'd like the nails to look bright and shiny. I tumbled a number of them for about two straight days in the walnut shells with now noticeable difference (they still looked like tarnished brass). How long should the tumbling take to clean these? Oh, and I do not believe the cylinder is over packed, but I can reduce its volume. Should I use a lot/little of the crushed walnut shells.

Finally, I spent about $75 on this tumbler. I'd really hate to have to replace with a vibrating model.

Let me know your thought,

Mike Pennell
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

22. The following user says "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried the vinegar and it made all the difference in the world. I now have a large load of very shiny nails and other fasteners.

Thanks,

MXP

24. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to mxp01

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know this is a pretty old post, but will this method work for the pachinko balls as well? I've got a rock tumbler(the wife's) and just picked up a bag of crushed walnuts and was trying to figure out if I just put them in with the crushed walnuts alone or if I was supposed to add something else with them.

Thank you!
    Dave

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I add a little Turtle wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

27. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, threw a bunch of balls in with the crushed walnuts and some chrome polish, they look great!

Do I need to rinse them off and let them dry before I use them in my machine now?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I rinse and dry mine to prevent any shell residue from getting into my machines. Easiest is using a $2 plastic colander to rinse under hot water and roll them around on a towel a few times to dry over several hours.

30. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob