Thread: Leveling a Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Leveling a Pachinko

This should be easy. Maybe I'm making it too hard.

What's the best method to level a pachinko so the playfield is "straight" botton to top?

My Rocky has an area in front of the LCD, which is inset in the playfield, where the ball can end up. If all goes well, it falls into another inset hole and goes out the front, dropping into a rocky target.

This basically never happens, so I suspect my game isn't leveled.

Is it safe to assume the bottom wood of the pachinko is true, such that if this is flat on the cabinet then everything should be good?

Is it correct to assume that if the vertical wood on the sides of the pachinko is leveled, the game is setup as designed?

Do any games require some tilting?

It's hard to use the front of the machine to align because it had plastic moulding that isn't straight.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MadMyers; 08-13-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    I've got pinball and video arcade game repair/restore information at www.aaarpinball.com

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Leveling a Pachinko

i would use a level on the top and tilt it a few degrees toward the back
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I never gave it too much thought...now that I have, here is what I think. Get a line level...like a tiny torpedo level, with hooks on top. The hooks hang from a horizontal string. We won't be using any string. The point is, a line level is small! they also check "level" by sitting on a flat surface. Try to find one...or modify one, to fit here! Regardless of how "out of square" the frame, or any other reference point is...the center is the point of interest! Now that I look at this...is that flat spot behind glass? If so...not sure where to check from.
    How about one...get a "bulls eye" level. Looks like a small "puck" with concentric rings on top. Looking from the top, when bubble is in the BULLS EYE you are level. I should have just taken pics of mine! Glue it to the inside bottom, or outside top. Use shims to adjust level until it "feels" right. Then mark the bubble with a sharpie. I said "glue" it, because it would make it repeatable if moved to another location.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Leveling a Pachinko

In the parlor, I'm told the machines are tilted back at the top.

1-1/8" out of plumb.

I've had machines that it made a difference on, tilting them back slightly played better.

As far as a reference for measuring... you can use the frame behind the front door. Doesn't matter how the plastic is.
    Set your level a distance away, say 8", hook your tape measure to the back of the door and measure.
    Last edited by CarlW; 08-14-2015 at 10:56 AM.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone.

While making some modifications to the cabinet that came with my Rocky (will post about that later), I repositioned Rocky within the cabinet. When Rocky is sitting on it's bottom support, it naturally wants to lean back a bit. I decided this must be how it was designed to be oriented, so I attached it with that tilt.

Supporting CarlW's comment above, it's now leaning back about 1". And it's playing much better! While the ball doesn't go into that inset hole below the LCD frequently, it does happen occationally how. I'm assuming, given no other info, this is the normal frequency. Of course, it's better than never, which I had before.
    I've got pinball and video arcade game repair/restore information at www.aaarpinball.com

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MadMyers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For machines I put in cabinets I tilt them back around 3-4 degrees.

100 machines and counting...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman