Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gaku Counter for Newer Modern

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Gaku Counter for Newer Modern

I wanted to hook up a counter to my Matrix machine, the problem is I have a card reader and if I hooked it up the more traditional way I would not only be counting balls I won but the ones I loaned too. All I really wanted to know was when I was all done playing, how many balls would I have in my tray. Now since my machine has no lower tray I simply made a ball feeder to sit below (first picture). At the end I installed my win sensor. Since any balls I won when I hit any start pockets would just be fired back into the machine, the only balls I would count was when I go into a bonus round and I would open the overflow. Now between the counter and the card reader I could see how much I would have won. If I used 20 credits, I know that is equal to 500 balls, so if I won 1700 balls, my winnings are 1200.

After I hooked the counter up I found other uses for it. I did hook up a sensor in the shooting lane (picture #2). That was a tight fit. Now it is fun to see how many shoots I took before I hit my first start pocket. You now how it is, some days it takes for ever and now I can see how many exactly. The timer is cool too, I can see how long it takes me to go through a 1000 balls (not very long). I can also see how many balls I won hitting start pockets. Once again with the card reader I know how many credits I used. If I used 40 credits which is 1000 balls and the counter shows I fired 1350 balls, I know I won 350 balls. Once again in the long run I just wanted to know how many balls I would be turning in and those 350 balls would just be shot back in the machine, but if some reason I stop playing before I used up the balls I could just hit the button and drop them in the lower feeder and those get counted too. Final picture my counter. I don't know why, I like being able to see the circuit board. I think it looks cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Gaku Counter for Newer Modern

I don't fully understand how the ball counter circuits work...but I think they are pretty cool! I've been thinking of getting a 5 pack of the GAKU counters to play with. I have 1 modern, 1 early modern, and many vintages. Of course the very old, or very unusual ones won't get a counter because I don't want to drill, glue or screw anything to them!

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure if you got the five pack; the sensors do come with double back tape that works pretty well and unless you ship the machine, should last a long time.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

6. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just got the 5 pack yesterday. The instructions were not especially clear...buts looks very simple. Seems like a great deal...with shipping and all, it came to about $11 each!

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is this the forum for unsolicited advice? ;-)

Use soldered and shrink tube connections for the ribbon wires; crimp on connectors fall off the fine wire.

Test it first with the sensor wires just twisted.

Ask Gaku for the other manual that explains the DIP switch settings.

Use trial and error with sensor placement before mounting permanently. Double counting and no count were common for me until sensor spacing was optimized. Have fun. You will enjoy it.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DIP switches are pretty simple. With all the switches in the current position it counts one for each ball that passes the win sensor. If you flip the first switch it counts two, two switches 10 and all three is 15 which is what you want if you hook it up to a vintage.

I just hooked up one to my single shot. I used velcro squares for the sensors and I was able to snake the wires through without drilling. Makes the single shot a little more fun!!!

I agree with soldering everything. Tried the other way and it is very difficult to keep a good connection.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The win sensor CN2, shows the 2nd & 4th pins labeled "BLUE & GREEN" "connect together". Does this mean I twist and tape all 4 wires together? Ball counter 001.JPG I have looked it over and read it many times. The only thing I gather is twist all 4 together and test! At least I got the 5 pack!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    The win sensor CN2, shows the 2nd & 4th pins labeled "BLUE & GREEN" "connect together". Does this mean I twist and tape all 4 wires together? I have looked it over and read it many times. The only thing I gather is twist all 4 together and test! At least I got the 5 pack!
    Yes, twist those four wires in your hand together: 1 blue, 1 green from the sensor, 2 CORRECT white wires from the plug end (I would call it 2nd and 4th from left). Do that the same for both plugs. I did not twist all 8 wires together, just four on each sensor.

I think they are all grounds anyhow but try it twisted!

15. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just tried CN2 by itself...nothing. Since it is a WIN sensor, maybe the circuit hasn't started because the SHOT sensor hasn't read anything. Wiring SHOT sensor now.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It can sense a win without a shot. Did you press the reset button? And is it counting the time? It won't sense anything until it starts counting the time.

Good luck! I can take picture once I get home if there are still issues...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Where do you order the Gaku counters?
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachinko ball counter kit -- A bulk of 5 | eBay Here they are my friend! Hooked up both sensors, still nothing. The display shows 123456... across them for about 2 seconds, then goes to 0000000000000. The colon in the timer blinks but no count. Pressing the reset doesn't change anything.

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would check your reset button connections. Every thing else sounds good. When you turn it on it should do exactly what you described. The reset button is what starts everything and when pressed the timer should start. At that point the sensors will work.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Press reset button really hard? Mine boots up exactly like that.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sometimes you do have to hold it down.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to tommy4132

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I shorted the contacts of the switch with a screwdriver...that did the trick. Not great reset buttons, but will do, and cheaply replaced. Now to find a good spot for the sensors!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Experiment successful!counter success 011.JPG I thought an early modern would be a good choice...but, it pays out 7&15. counter success 006.JPG with 3 rows of balls, I would need at least 2 WIN sensors. Right now it is only reading the 7 ball wins. counter success 005.JPG As fast as they fall out of the JP...it counts 7 every time. The shooter sensor is much easier. counter success 002.JPG The cardboard is to level the playing field. I first tried closer to the shooter, but was getting VERY ERRATIC results! I expect the ball bounces as is settles into place, and the optical sensor is counting each bounce. So I moved it out a little bit. Counts shots accurately. The lower 3 pockets are the 7win pockets. These are the only WINS that the counter can see. The pockets above and V zone are all 15s. I guess 2 rows of 7 and the winning ball...or row of 7 & row of 8? I will have to look for a place where all winning balls are single file. Otherwise this machine won't work well. Plus, undershot balls that return to the lower tray are counted as shot...even though you didn't lose the ball. Small issue indeed...it only messes up your over or under count. I don't see an easy...or even reversable way of only counting the balls that actually make it into the playfield. I haven't soldered anything but power and reset. If I have to untape a sensor to feed it thru a small hole, it is easy and the leads are generous in length! I don't have an enclosure for it...so I used some 14ga copper wire to hold the boards together.counter success 008.JPG counter success 010.JPG I will still find a box for it...or make one. I can now move it around to different machines to see which 5 will benefit from such a device.

29. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Kind of "Steampunk " on the copper wires to stand - off the two boards I Like It !!!
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

31. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Kind of "Steampunk " on the copper wires to stand - off the two boards I Like It !!!
    Don't know what Steampunk means, same as "McGiver"? Found some inexpensive plastic spacers at my local Ace Hardware that worked ok with some long bolts and nuts... Seems like your solution is working for you! Is the reset button normally open or normally closed? I don't remember now. I had problems with the same button and replaced it...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Don't know what Steampunk means, same as "McGiver"? Found some inexpensive plastic spacers at my local Ace Hardware that worked ok with some long bolts and nuts... Seems like your solution is working for you! Is the reset button normally open or normally closed? I don't remember now. I had problems with the same button and replaced it...
    Normally open. with it sitting on top, I just short the terminals against the chrome frame when I want to reset. I found some long #8-32 screws and nuts for my next attempt. I would prefer aluminum or plastic spacers...but once again, using what I can find!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast