Thread: Building on the Gaku Counter

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Building on the Gaku Counter

The “Gaku” counter (sold on eBay) is a great value for the components alone!

Did some testing and found out how to sense three of the activities monitored by the counter board.

WIN and SHOTS can both be sensed by checking for HIGH (5V) on jumpers already installed on the counter board. See picture on how to solder in a wire. The jumper wires did tend to come apart, so be careful and check the counter board after soldering. WINS is on Jumper J10, SHOTS is on Jumper J9.

RESET can be sensed by checking for LOW (0V) on Jumper J8.

To start or reset (restart) the counter board; I used a relay on the “+” wire of the reset pushbutton. The “+” wire is on the OPPOSITE side (Left side) of the reset connector as compared to the power connection polarity shown in Gaku’s manual for the power connector. That sentence is difficult to follow and I don’t have a picture that explains it any better.

Am working on some multi-player games using the Gaku counter, an Arduino, a matrix keypad and a 4x20 LCD display.

J10 WIN_J9 SHOT_J8 RESET.jpg

Send a PM if more information is desired or wait for next post.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Building on the Gaku Counter

I have been considering getting that for more than a year now. $25 plus shipping always sounded good but now he has a lot of 5 for $39. Can these be easily installed on vintage machines? Is there permanent mods, such as holes drilled required?

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Building on the Gaku Counter

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I have been considering getting that for more than a year now. $25 plus shipping always sounded good but now he has a lot of 5 for $39. Can these be easily installed on vintage machines? Is there permanent mods, such as holes drilled required?
    Yes, holes are required if you are putting the counter on a working vintage.

I was starting with parts machines and making them fully cyclic.

Can you say which model you want to install one on and if it is a conversion or a regular, functioning machine?
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Building on the Gaku Counter

I have about 18-20 vintage machines, 1 early modern, & 1 modern. My original thought was to get 1 for the modern, but the price for 5 is tempting enough ti get them and put some on vintage machines. As far as holes go...use them on machines that are more common, where I'm not so concerned with drilling holes. None are cyclic...you can see most by looking at my albums.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Building on the Gaku Counter

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I have about 18-20 vintage machines, 1 early modern, & 1 modern. My original thought was to get 1 for the modern, but the price for 5 is tempting enough ti get them and put some on vintage machines. As far as holes go...use them on machines that are more common, where I'm not so concerned with drilling holes. None are cyclic...you can see most by looking at my albums.
    I did look through your album and you do have an impressive collection of many different vintage types!

Each type would be a little different. The sensor would need to "see" the SHOT ball and WIN ball from a distance of about 1/5". If there are any reflections it will not work well and one does need to experiment with the angle and distance to get it just right.

For the SHOT sensor, there is a hole in all the vintages, where the low reward tray flag lever goes through to the front of the machine. One could utilize that opening or slightly enlarge it to accomodate the sensor wires. The sensor works fine on the angled metal ramp just after the shooting hammer. The sensor needed to be shimmed out about a 1/4" to get closer to the center of the metal ramp. I used double backed foam tape to experiment with placement. The sensor has a slotted opening for permanent attachment that also affords some adjustment.

For the WIN sensor, the WIN ball needs to be "seen" somehwere in the win path. It can be before or after the see saw depending on the machine. It could be at the jackpot ball exit tube. Probably minimal holes, just one or two small ones at the mounting position, just have to find a good spot and confirm it is counting correctly.

Making a housing for the counter that looks good will be more of a project than getting the counter working.

The installation manuals (2) are too big to upload but I can email them if you send me a PM with your email address. They might be on the site here somehwere already.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW