Thread: Pachinko Cabinet project for LoveLove

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko Cabinet project for LoveLove

This is my first cabinet build and the first time I've used a lot of the tools I'm using, so the result will be a bit rough. I tried designing this on Google SketchUp, but it kept snapping and readjusting my numbers even though I typed them in, so I gave up and just used paper and did a quick image in Paint (not to scale). I used the max measurements for the two pachinkos, so I could make two cabinets that match dimension wise. I have yet to decide what I want the front of the second one to look like.

PachinkoDes.jpg
    The top circle I'm planning to put plexi in so you can see the ball level. The bottom rectangle is to be a drawer for the balls, to dump them back in the top. I've pretty much got all the pieces cut except the 4 interior pieces; two that slope for the balls to go into the hopper at the top, and two that slope for the balls to go into the drawer.

I tried to be artsy and go by the heart/love theme of the game by using woven hearts for the front plates and hearts around the porthole at the top to see the balls. I was going to use dowels to do the main connections in addition to glue, but then decided the dowels would be too shallow. Tonight I ordered a biscuit joiner so I'm planning on using that to connect my wood together. Once I get it all together I'll then measure the inside to see exactly how wide the slope pieces need to be.

Here's pictures of the work in progress, the first two are the base/top as I laid them out to carve, the last picture is the wood and pachinko. I used decent wood for the top/bottom that would be seen, but just the cheaper pine for the sides, back, and interior pieces. I have my square guides for lining parts up. I quick clamped a couple together to see how it would work. Now I'm just waiting for the joiner to come in and I'll play with it to see if it will work or not. Otherwise I'll go back to using screws/brads and glue.
    PachiBase.jpgPachiHead.jpgHeadBaseCarved1.jpgHeadBaseCarved2.jpgPartsCut.jpg

I have another pachinko cabinet to make after this one, and then a big wall rack that these should hopefully slide into, so I can replace these when I want to.

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachinko Cabinet project for LoveLove

oh very nice idea with the interlocking carved hearts

Looks wonderfully intricate

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thats going to be a pretty Rad cabinet!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe I should have used a cell phone image on it somewhere. That was my 3rd project using a CarveWright for something, the other two were just plaques.

I also have a pink glass heart knob in my cart for the next time I'm shopping online. For the handle to the drawer. However I see that several plans use a hinged front with a tray inside rather than a drawer/door... and I'm second guessing if maybe that would have been a better idea.

While playing with it, I have been forced to remember that the LoveLove is a lot heavier machine than the MilkyBar. So now I'm thinking I may need to do a 'to the floor' base rather than attempting to hang it on the wall or slide it into a cabinet that is on the wall. My wall keeps shrinking too. It was 7+ ft long, but lost 2 feet when I picked up an 'antique' shuffle bowler cheap, it ended up using quite a bit of space in that room. So my 7 ft wide by 6 ft tall plans ended up only being 5ft wide now. So instead of having a foot wide on each side of the pachinkos, I'm planning to not have those. Making it 22.5inches, 22.5 inches, and whatever is left between the pachinkos. Still planning on taking the cabinet to the height above the stained glass. Debating about adding more storage above the bowler.

Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice woodworking on the carved pieces.If you screw into studs to hang it ,you should be fine.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

10. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm still deciding on how to attach things together. My original thought was dowels. Then I decided that was possibly too shallow, so I got a biscuit joiner (which I misplaced the instructions for already), but I was also looking at the Kreg Pocket Hole system. I wasn't sure if the Kreg plus screws would have enough bite on the small face for the drawer so I was opting for the biscuits. But as I got up this morning there was a Kreg infomercial on, which I only caught the last minute of, so I went to the site and watched it in action there. Sooo... now I've ordered the Kreg pocket hole master system along with the extra screws and pine plugs.

I'm still not sure, but I think I'll play with both a bit. Practice some with the biscuits. From what I read, I think I need to change the blade to the 2inch blade on the joiner in order to do the faces I'm working with. When I envisioned it, I was thinking just two biscuits per join. Looking at the instructions though they pretty much show you filling the entire width of the join with as many biscuits as you can. I'd think if you were going to do that you might as well just cut a slot in each piece and run a thin piece of wood down the gap and not use any special tool/biscuits, just a routing bit that cuts grooves.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like your a professional cabinet maker,very impessive

14. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nah, just getting tools to make these as nice as I can. I have lots of other things I'd like to do cabinet/shelf wise. This is just stocking up and learning to do it all. It's a first time thing for me, all the experience I have has just been from a semester of wood in high school about 25 years ago, and slapping together a treehouse out of scrap wood before that. Oh, and a few home repairs here and there.

I'm debating on building a cabinet for the Indy I have instead of for the Milky Bar next. The Indy is in a bought cabinet. But... first thing is to get this one done before I do more

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the dry assembly. I haven't touched the drawer yet other than to pop the piece out. The circle at the top for the plexi is still in place. I'm off somewhere as the front plate is either low on the left or high on the right when square with both sides. I popped in 22 FF size biscuits for it. At the moment it's just held together by the clamps and the friction from biscuits.
    DryAssem.jpg

That's the Milky Bar behind it, not the one that's going in it, but I thought I'd just put it there to show where one goes

17. The following user says "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good! How did you do the carvings?

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Looking good! How did you do the carvings?
    I picked up a CarveWright last year on eBay with the fill toolset and scanning probe for the price that just the CarveWright goes for, mine is the 'B' series. http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/index.php They now have 'C' series that is supposed to be more reliable, more quiet, with different rollers and a different bit holding mechanism.

Here's some pics of it from my first carve which was a family tree for my mom. Yes, that's my messy basement with shelving I got for free from a bookstore that closed out, and the huge overhead ducts are actually from my furnace which fills most of the basement.
    IMAG0058.jpgIMAG0063.jpgIMAG0065.jpgIMAG0069.jpg

===

Tonight I recarved the header. Took an hour and 39 minutes. I forgot the first rule of woodworking when I started this project the other day, square your board first. I was using new stock and didn't slice off the end to make sure it was square, as a result it was not. That made enough of a difference that the front didn't fit. It was 21" wide at one end but about a quarter inch off on the other, which it was either redo the whole thing or slice it and try to fill. So cut a new piece 21" wide x 9" tall and made sure it was square this time. Then carved, marked and cut the biscuit slots. Glued, clamped, and now it is drying. It was a lot more involved than that, one of my clamps shattered due to it being cheap, and there were some words said but no one around except me to hear them I'm hoping after all this the pachinko actually fits in the spot and it's at least a fairly square cabinet. It says 24 hours before stressing it, so I'm not touching it tomorrow.

21. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oops! Measure twice, cut once... But no one told me to recheck math a few times too. The center has a spot that is 29" tall, but the pachinkos are 31.5 and 32, soooo... I guess I'll call this cabinet a DVD rack and start over.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Did biscuits+glue last night, tonight I undid the clamps and just put the pachinko in with one screw and turned it on. Still need to do the drawer, ramps, plexi, and decide for sure if I'm going to go clear coat, or use dark cherry.

Pachi0.jpgPachi1.jpgPachi2.jpg

25. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Those cabinets are beautiful,they would accent any machine in any color of stain.well done

27. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Too bad the first one was an inch and a half or so too short Still planning on doing 'something' with it, not quite sure what. I'm tempted to put the Milky Bar in the bought cabinet that I have the Indy in, and make an Indy cabinet, even though I started making some patterns for carving by borrowing graphics from the Milky case and LCD. The girl I just grabbed from the front logo, the bartender is from the LCD, and I erased the stuff on the glasses, but haven't carried it through yet like I did the girl. If I do the Milky Bar, I'll probably find some 3D bottles to add.
    MilkyGirl.gifMilkyMan.gif

This is a 3d deer head I carved for a sign last week, I liked the different colors from the wood grain, that'd likely look decent as a Milk Bottle shape, but then I was thinking how much better it would look if it was the gold idol from Indy. I could do the mine carts too.

IMAG0083.jpg

Maybe I should make 2 more cabinets

29. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thats quite a machine to do carvings. That would take weeks to carve that deep into wood by hand let alone the blisters and slivers and cuts from the chisels.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to yose