Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first restoration.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My first restoration.

Hi I just picked up my first pachinko machine yesterday from a swap meet for $15. I don't know a whole lot about pachinko machines, but do find it rather interesting. I've done alot of similar projects, like building my own arcade cabinet, and thought a restored pachinko machine would look very nice next to it and be naturally be pretty fun to play with. I think it will also make a neat conversation piece during parties when someone inevitably ask me "What's with the weird pinball machine?"

But like I said I don't know a whole lot about pachinko machines. Reading some of the threads and looking at articles and videos online, I'm guessing this is a Nishijin Model B. But that seems to be all I can tell. I've included some pictures of it, and plan to update as the project moves along. I'll also probably ask a bunch of stupid,really obviously answered questions, because I'm sorta thick. So please bear with me.

2. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to Matt L

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My first restoration.

yes that is a nice looking Model "B" machine

and kinda interesting... i dot think i have ever seen a machine with a tulip in the center jackpot like yours

looks like it has a bit of rust one the face chrome... most will clean with steel wool..

dont worry about questions we love them ... ask away

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the Dark Side!!!

We are thrilled to have you as part of the "family!" This will be your first vintage machine, but certainly not your last!!! We all started out just like you, but are now totally addicted to the critters. Enjoy your insanity.

As Mopar says: "Ask away!" We love to help others with their restorations and repairs. You are among friends here, so no question is too dumb or basic for us. We also LOVE photos - lots of them - so please post as many as you can.

Again, welcome to the Dark Side!!! Help yourself to some cookies.

Jeff
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 02-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk Matt. That is a real bargain you got there, congratulations!

Don't ever feel that your questions are stupid... the one you ask today may help someone else tomorrow!
    Dawn

8. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Matt L and Welcome to Pachitalk!!!

Looks like you have a nice solid machine to work from. I'm sure you'll get everything you need here to fixer right up.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Matt L and welcome aboard!

That may be your first machine (and a nice one as well) but I have a feeling it may not be your last.

It's an addiction you'll love!
    I used to eat lots of natural foods until I found out most people die of natural causes.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to teachermaniac

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome!

Check out this link to a photo in my album. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/memb...in-machine.jpg

I have the same machine. The photos are after restoration (Rusty's version of restoration that is). There is also a photo of the back as well. You might find the thread 'How A Vintage Pachinke Work' worth the read as it was written with this very machine as an example.

Good find and welcome to the addiction!

(Did I mention I have 8 machines now?)
    Rusty Key

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk Matt L!!

Congratulations on your vintage Nishijin, you will find a lot of info regarding restoring these not only in the Threads, but by asking the friendly knowledge members we have here

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk.
    We all ask stupid questions.
    Only today i asked ''Why can't i have another Pachinko?)
    I better not type the answer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I've been working on getting the rust off the chrome front. It's not real heavy, but it's on just about all the front. Because of the light, it doesn't really show up on the first pictures. But after getting the rust off, I've noticed pretty extensive pitting. So much so that it looks like it's part of the design. Looking through the threads on chrome cleaning it doesn't seem like there's much I can do about it short of chrome paint or a re chroming. Does anyone know of something I can do about it? If I'm stuck with it, that's ok. But it would be nice to get rid of it.

20. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Matt L

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Matt,

In my personal experience, the pitting is permanent. If you have cleaned/buffed the chrome parts with steel wool (#0, and then #000) and have tried the ball of aluminum foil with a dab of water method, then the end result is what you will need to live with. It should come out clean with no visible rust when you are done.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

and rechrome will not help unless u grind it all smooth and then rechrome it...

chrome will not fill the pits just makes it look worse
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
    Looking through the threads on chrome cleaning it doesn't seem like there's much I can do about it short of chrome paint or a re chroming.
    Hey Matt,
    First of all: Welcome !!

All my frames have cleaned up well so far but one-- my beloved Model A single shot (everything was rusty on that beast). After the 00 steel wool treatment, it looked just like yours.

My nickel plating tank is not nearly large enough for this and besides, the pitting would have to be soldered in and smoothed first. I'm too cheap to spend a couple hundred on professional rechroming, so here's my plan, which I'm right in the middle of...

The mostly unseen parts of the frame (inside) are painted with "satin nickel" paint. I'm perfectly happy with that. On the outer face I sanded down the chrome and am using a high-build primer (available at auto parts stores) to fill it all in. It took many coats (considering the depth of the pits I should have used bondo first). Final wetsanding was with 1500 grit. It must be smooth as a baby's bottom for this to work well...

My initial feasibility test was "chrome tape" (often used for air ducts), carefully mitered at the corners and wrapped around the frame pieces. It's quite a convincing look, but it was hard to apply without wrinkles, taking several tries, and it scratches too easily. I was going to redo it followed by a clear coat to protect, but that looks too phony. So, my plan is to strip it off and use wide automotive chromed detailing tape, which is thicker and more durable.

I will post the final results. I think it will fool people.

26. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Siouxzan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Siouxzan View Post
    . I think it will fool people.
    sounds like a great fix...

but im wondering what people are u calling fools???

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I've managed to get all the rust off the front chrome, spent about 30 minutes just taking the tray off. I'm surprised by how uncomplicated it was. Granted this is because I'm used to working with stuff like airsoft guns, which are comprised almost entirely of miniature screws and springs. So seeing something that's made of just levers and screws was refreshing. Having just put the last coat of chrome polish on, I'm happy to be done.

Also used some Brasso to clean and polish the heads of the pins. After looking around some of the other threads, I'm on the fence about whether I'll remove the pins and polish them completely. It looks like a lot of work, for something I can hardly see. I'm also worried about possibly damaging the cell.

Tomorrow I'll start looking into getting the lights working. From what I can see the connections seem to be in good order. One of the wires going to the tray empty switch is cut, but splicing that shouldn't be that tough. After watching Moparformances youtube videos of the Model B, it looks like mechanically everything is there and seems to work. But I wont know for sure until the balls I ordered arrive.

But so far things seem to be going pretty well. Of all the hobbies/projects I've worked on, this has by far been the least complicated/frustrating.

30. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Matt L

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Amazon.com: Miracle Cloth All Purpose Metal Sword Cleaning Towel: Sports & Outdoors

well you could a grinder/ buffer
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 02-03-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
    After looking around some of the other threads, I'm on the fence about whether I'll remove the pins and polish them completely. It looks like a lot of work, for something I can hardly see. I'm also worried about possibly damaging the cell.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..." or "Less is more"

Removal of the pins is relatively simple. Replacing them to the correct height and bending them all back into perfect alignment takes lots of time and patience (it was an excerise in frustration for me!!). I personally wouldn't go down that road unless there was a REALLY compelling reason to do so.

If you want to clean the stems of the pins, use some Brasso and a broad shoelace from an athletic shoe. You can buff the stems by holding each end of the shoelace in your hands and using a see-saw motion to guide the shoelace back and forth over the stem. It would be far easier than removing the pins just to clean them.

Can't wait to see some updated pictures of your progress (hint..hint)

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

33. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So first update in about a week. I'm finished with the front, and have now moved on to the back. All the pieces seem to be there, and in pretty good condition. The balls I ordered showed up, and I ran them through. The first thing I noticed was that all the balls when right through to the ball tray. After watching moparformance's Model B video, I was able to figure out that the dump mechanism was stuck because of dirt and other crud. So right now I'm slowly removing each of the pieces off the back and with dishwashing soap, Brasso, and CLR, I should have everything cleaned up in a day or so.

35. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Matt L

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast