Thread: IGT Popper King Type A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default IGT Popper King Type A

Ok gang, here are the photos I promised of the Popper King I have got working for a friend. The machine hasn't been cleaned when the photos were taken but it's fairly clean already. The main problem was the missing keys. For the door, as you know, you can reach up from the bottom to open it. The reset key was a different story. Luckily I had an old Cover key switch that I had purchased about 10 years ago for another project that I never completed. I pulled the covers off the power supply and pulled out the key switch and the one I had fit it perfectly!

I've been able to get it reset and play it some. The odds are set to level 6 so I was able to get a 'Big Game' and it played through OK and did not require a reset once it finished.

I do have a couple of question however,

It appears that the Credit/Coin button (above the joystick) does not function. The machine is in Credit mode. I'm OK with this.. but.. do you need this button to function to change the odds or play the game like it was meant to be played?

This leads to my next question, what is the correct way to play the game with the 'reach' and such? I've never played a machine that has this option so any advice will help... or point me to a document that explains the process would be great!

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rusty Key

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: IGT Popper King Type A

The volume switch on this machine is located on the circuit board on the door below the reel window. It is a three position switch with the lowest setting closest to the hinge.

To set the odds, the internal switch is turned on (horizontal) and the machine is then turned on. Just to the upper left from the switch is a covered push button. Pressing this button will then change the odds. Pull down on the spin joystick to 'save' the odds setting and then turn the key back to the 'off' position.

In the off position, the 'odds' button will cycle the hopper motor to dispense tokens.

If you insert coins to fast or try to slip a slug through the machine will go into 'tilt' or 'alarm' mode and sound a very annoying beep. To reset, there is a reset switch that is activated by turning the front door key to the left.

When in "Big Bonus" mode, there are three 'rounds' of (I believe) 8 spins each. As the rounds are active, the numbers 1 2 and 3 light accordingly. You can get also get a 'Bonus Game' in the middle of the Big Bonus with 3 bars in the center that then will pay 15 for each time 3 'Replay' icons show on the middle row for a set number of spins.

Lots of good music and sound on this one!

I found another post on the web about this machine that stated their 'credit/coin' button didn't work. So I am assuming these were disabled once they were removed from the Pachislo parlours.

I also found some SEC filings by IGT from 1999 that touted the sales of their new Popper King machines. From these filings it appears that at least 9,500 of these machines were made and at the time were very popular.

Ok, that's what I know so far. I hope this helps someone in the future. Still looking for 'game play' instructions if anyone can point me to a document!
    Rusty Key

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hey bud, i just bought the machine today and i was wondering if you could help?
    i have played the game for about an hour and i already raised the payout number...
    i have about $20 worth of coins inside but i think that it is in credit mode.. do you know of a way to make it pay out coins?
    Last edited by hanabi; 08-09-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: removed the 'q' word

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hello all new here. Just got a Popper king, first machine. Ive got a couple of questions about it, I have no manual. The odds button doesn't seem to work when you press it empties the coin bucket weather the key is on or off. Then there is another little button under the odds button and 2 switches what do they do. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is there any way you can get a manuel for IGT POPPER KING TYPE-A, repair are other wise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Anyone know why both of the fluorescent bulb backlights would not be working? Bulbs are good. Is there some sort of ballast to replace or switch for them to turn on?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by tipsy View Post
    Anyone know why both of the fluorescent bulb backlights would not be working? Bulbs are good. Is there some sort of ballast to replace or switch for them to turn on?
    Thanks!
    sorry i cant really help ya but wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by tipsy View Post
    Thanks!
    Hello and welcome to the group!!

It seems odd that both bulbs would go out at the same time unless there is a fuse blown? The lights would come on when powering up the machine. Here are a few things to try first. Were you able to test the bulbs in another machine or some other way? Have you checked your fuses with a meter? Have you unplugged and reseated the lighting connections?

I believe I marked the correct locations of the ballasts on the inside of the door from the picture in the first post. I don’t have this machine but there often times is a power line going in one side and wires to the light on the other end. You might find replacements on eBay.
    igt-popper-king-innerdoor.jpg
    Last edited by Peteybob; 06-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.