Thread: Strange Tulip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Strange Tulip

I purchased a Sanyo '13' vintage pachinko that is in need of a lot of repair. So far I have fished marbles, acorns and shards of glass from the various mechanisms. One thing that is stumping me is a complex tulip that I have not previously encountered.

It can be seen in the front picture just above the lower, center tulip. The mechanism seems to catch a ball then release it when the trigger in the back is tripped downwards. The picture of the back of the machine shows two levers that are activated when a ball enters the left or right tulip. A lever pushes the arms down, which appears to trigger the ball release.

Here's the problem (really a series of them) - the mechanism does not move very smoothly. Balls that drop through this tulip do not trigger it to open or close and the trigger in the back takes more force to activate than the lever arms provide.

To compound matters, the pins holding the mechanism together are pinched off at the ends and I do not see an obvious way to take it apart for service or tuning.

Does anyone know how this tulip is supposed to work and how I can adjust or tune it?

Thanks,
    Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Keith1B

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Strange Tulip

that IS a very interesting tulip. is there any chance the levers go under, instead of over the T piece?

the tulip doesn't just need cleaning, right?

I had an unusual tulip on a nishijin that had a rotating cam. this made one leaf open at a time. one of my sanyo's had plastic arms like yours, but they cause lateral tulips to open from a ball coming down one side or the other of the center piece.

I'll look at my other sanyo waiting to be cleaned, to see if it has anything like that.

that's a nice war theme with the planes and the japanese flag. nice colors, too.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It definitely needs more than cleaning. The big issue is that the mechanics don't move very easily. I'm not sure if something is bent, or rusted or misaligned... all I know is tha tthe mechanism does not move smoothly enough to operate right now.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Saw this same type machine on Craigslist SFbay area recently but tried to lowball the seller and lost. Wouldn't be you by chance?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I bought it from SF Bay Craig's list. After seeing the condition of the machine, I realized that I overpaid at $50 but I am still taking a shot at getting it working again. It's got a manufacturing date of 1980 so it is one of the more modern vintage machines and has some cool features like the airplane spinners (they turn upside down and back when activated), really bright color scheme, in the center and this strange tulip.

I believe that I can get most of the features working with routine cleaning and tuning but this one has me stumped.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love trying to figure out complex mechanisms. Can you post up some more close-up pix of the tulip taken from different angles, and another shot of the tripping mechanism behind the tulip (pix #3) showing a little more of it?

Even though my lowball bid didn't get the machine Its good to know it went to another PachiTalk member.
    Last edited by Gwenzilla; 08-29-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

keith where are u located??? as im sure u relize there are a few of us around hear.. funny gwenzilla spoted that machine.. i too rember seeing it in craigs list..

looking at a picture is a great help but seeing it in person make all the diff in the world for me.. havnet met a pachinko i cant fix (yet)..

let me know
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I live in Cuprtino, off 85 and 280. Anyone close?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Keith1B View Post
    I live in Cuprtino, off 85 and 280. Anyone close?
    was hoping for more northeast

good luck to ya

there are at least 3 or 4 other members that are right in the bay
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hey keith,

I drive through your neighborhood every couple weeks, commuting from berkeley to salinas and back.

maybe we can hook up some time. I'd love to see the machine.

also, given the face and how good it looks in pix, I would have paid $50 for that one.

chewy

p.s. we're getting some competition for the craigslist stufff now. more bay are pachitalkers, yeah
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Let me know the nexr couple of day syou will be passing through and we can have a look.

Thanks,
    Keith