Thread: how to wire an L-Pad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default how to wire an L-Pad

OK- in searches for how to wire an L-Pad, both online and here in PachiTalk, I didn't find a whole lot. I did find a diagram from NewInTown which worked well, but the polarity was backwards, so volume up was really volume down and vice versa.
    So I'm putting in a tutorial on how to do this step by step.

First, I used the stereo L-Pads from parts express. I'll put a link up later. I LOVE it. Every since increment of volume control is available. No going from quiet to loud in a fraction of a turn. I also love that one dial controls the total volume...no messing with adjusting individual speakers.

I apologize in advance for the typos! I'm doing this as fast as I can, and don't plan on proof reading.

Parts List (if you have 2 speakers):
    1 x Stereo L-Pad
    Red, Black and White 22 guage stranded wire
    4 x 2 wire Telephone Butt Splices
    2 x 3 wire Telephone Butt Splices (if you want, you can use ALL 3 wire splices...it's fine two only put two wires in them)

You will also need:
    Soldering Iron and Solder
    Scissors or wire cutters (I like stripping small wires with a sharp pair of scissors)
    Pliars

STEPS:
    1- UNPLUG YOUR PACHISLO

2- Locate speaker wires, and decide where you will be mounting your L-Pad.

3- Remove coin hopper. This will make it easier to get around inside the machine.

3- Measure how much wire you will need, then cut 2 black wire, 2 red wires, and 2 white wires using 22 guage STRANDED wire.

4- Solder wires to L-Pad terminals according to my diagram color codes.

5- Install L-Pad in Machine. You may find an existing whole, or you may need to drill a new one. Mount L-Pad inside machine with knob outside.

6- Run wires through machine toward speakers, securing them along the way. I use little cable ties, but electrical tape would work fine.

7- following diagram, work with ONE SPEAKER AT A TIME. On the first speaker, cut the white wire somewhere where there will be slack on both sides (not right up against the board or the speaker) If there is no slack in the cable, you may have to use a small piece of "jumper" to make one side a bit longer. Using the 3 wire butt splice, connect both sides of the cut wire, and the white L-pad wire.

8. On same speaker, cut the colored wire (red of blue) and using a 2 wire butt splice, connect the AMP SIDE of the wire to the RED WIRE coming from terminal 3 of the LPAD. With the other wire, (the SPEAKER SIDE of the colored wire) using a 2 wire butt splice, connect the SPEAKER SIDE of the wire to the BLACK WIRE coming from terminal 2 of the LPAD.

9. REPEAT on other speaker.

10. If there L-Pad is near any conductive surfaces, wrap some electrical tape around the terminals to insulate them.

11. put your hopper back in and you're ready to play!
    L-Pad-Wiring-After.gif

L-Pad-Wiring-Diag1.gif

L-Pad-Wiring-Before.gif

I will be adding a youtube video to this thread when I have a chance.
    Last edited by kkentert; 06-25-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to kkentert

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Re: how to wire an L-Pad

I know my schematic showed reverse polarity but in this set up it does not really matter. Either way + or - a compensating load is a compensating load through the L Pad.

The picture to Ikaria's link is below as is mine.

As far as points 1 and 3 on the l pad, these connections can be swapped in the circuit pending if you mount the L Pad on the right or left side of a cabinet if you put the L Pad on the side of the cabinet to make turning the L Pad work in the right direction to increase the Volume.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: how to wire an L-Pad

Quote Originally Posted by new in town View Post
    As far as points 1 and 3 on the l pad, these connections can be swapped in the circuit pending if you mount the L Pad on the right or left side of a cabinet if you put the L Pad on the side of the cabinet to make turning the L Pad work in the right direction to increase the Volume.
    Yes...I'm sorry I phrased it as I did. I thought I made it sound good, but I made it sound like your diagram was backwards. It was actually great, and very helpful. If you are using the up/down plate that comes with the L-Pad, then it will be backwards...but as you said, there are cases where you would like it to be vice versa. Thanks for pointing it out.

So L-Pads work both ways...just according to where you mount it and how you want it to work. Both my diagram, and NewInTowns are correct. If you want to turn the dial clockwise to have the volume increase, use my diagram. If you want to turn it counterclockwise to increase volume, use NewInTowns. I want mine to match the plate because I'm mounting on the back of the machine (so people don't mess with it as much).
    Elvira Pinball, Devil May Cry, Exhaust, Speed Racer,Looney Tunes Mahrajah Basement/Club where my pachis live...

8. The following user says "Thanks" to kkentert