Thread: Maruhon "Best Machine" Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Maruhon "Best Machine" Pachinko

I have a Maruhon Pachinko, don't know the time frame, but it is a 'semi-automatic' type - not like the machine my dad had when I was a kid. That one you had to hand feed each ball through a hole... This one is like all of them you see now-a-days, with 2 ball trays, one that feeds directly to the flipper, and the other to the bottom for removal.

I would like to know if anyone has any info on these machines. Mine is not of any specific 'theme' - the face simply says "Best Machine" on it.

I am also trying to find some documentation of the workings of these Maruhon machines. Mine is not working - even though it is in terrific physical condition, I can't make it work. I'm sure it is something minor, I just can't figure it out.

I don't read Japanese, so the Maruhon site is out, I'm afraid, as far as tech support goes
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to LadyFaire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Maruhon "Best Machine" Pachinko

Nice machine, welcome to pachi-talk! im sure if you post your problem in the tech support portion you'll get loads of help! mine was non-functional when i first bought it and they helped me out tons.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also, once you've posted more or replied to more threads you will have access to the Research Center where the manuals live.
    “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.”

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A VERY nice looking machine. You said it doesn't work. What happens when you shot a ball? I also don't see a battery hooked up on the back side. Am I just missing it?
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome onboard and a nice looking machine you have there.
    Chris
    Pachinko : Star Wars, Julie Pinball, Super stadium, 007, Freddie Vs Jason, Haunted Mansion, Vicky Chance. Pachislo : Terminator (Original).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome !

Looks like you may only need a battery but that would be "best case" the machine appears to be in good shape.

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some things to check for, working from top down:

1. The hopper at top back of machine must be full enough to trigger the pressure plate lever that will block balls from entering the shooting mechanism (having at least 50 balls is a must).

2. The balls can be blocked by a small metal gate that drops across the rails at the top right of the back (designed so the bottom mechanisms can be cleared without emptying the top hopper).

3. The pressure plates under the rails just above the center payout mechanism will block the payout trip lever from the bottom of the machine if there are no balls on them.

4. There is a dump mechanism in this same corner that can stay open and continually let balls fall to the bottom of the machine. The lever is triggered through a small hole in the left front of the machine. Reset it so the balls stay on the top rails (it may be integrated with the pressure plates).

5. Sometimes balls will stick in the payout mechanism if there is too much grime built up. There is usually a plastic cover that can be removed to check (don't force anything, there may be other levers that need to be released before the balls will drop).

6. Balls may be jammed in the slightly curved drop chute that triggers the payout lever (bottom left of back mechanism). There should only be one ball in there. Fiddle with the various levers there to release the extra balls

7. The jamming may also be at the front of the machine where the balls feed into the shooter. First try slidding the release lever on the front of the top tray to let the balls empty to the lower tray. If that doesn't clear the jam, open the tray panel. Start by opening the door of the playfield first (lever around the back side—single one will open door, double levers open whole cabinet front). Once the door is open you'll see a metal release that unlatches the panel with the top tray and it will swing out so you can check it.

Based on your photos (which are a little too small for good troubleshooting, try 700px tall) your problem seems to be the second on the list: the gate is holding back the balls from entering the rest of the mechanism and that is stopping all the other levers from working.

I always like to move all the levers around to get a sense of how everything connects. To me that is half the fun of the older machines—the accessibility of their mechanisms.

As far as lights, you should just pick up a 9v battery metal U-clip and a snap connector (RadioShack.com) and wire the connector into the fuse box or to the loose wires.

Bulbs can be replaced with #50 Screw-Base Lamp 7.5 volts - 220mA, though they may be fine (I've got original lamps in a 1950s machine that still work).

You should have a left or right front corner light that comes on when the top hopper is empty, and a center light that flashes when you get a jackpot.

Enjoy! These vintage pachinkos are very simple and easy to maintain; just don't clean the playfield with water (it will permanently stain the paper under the laminate around the nails) and don't apply any oil (the balls will carry it through the machine and it will attract dust and grime).

10. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to sharmoni

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for the friendly welcome! Yes, it is a fine looking machine! I had a Pachinko machine growing up and it was loads of fun. I recently ran across one just like the kind we had when I was a youngster (single ball feed), and it kind of set me off - so I looked around and found this one locally. Someone had it in their attic, wrapped in plastic.

"A VERY nice looking machine. You said it doesn't work. What happens when you shot a ball? I also don't see a battery hooked up on the back side. Am I just missing it? " No, I haven't hooked up a battery yet, as the lights aren't a big priority of mine just yet. When I shoot a ball, everything on the front works just fine. The 'flipper' works the way it is supposed to, with a good, solid spring, and a strong recoil. The balls slide into the shot area just fine, and there are no bent pegs.

I put in 500 brand new balls. I made sure the 'gate' was up, so that it did not block the balls from going down into the works of the machine. The biggest problem I see, is that they don't want to "collect" in the central 'jackpot' area (behind the center pocket?), where the payout cache should be held in reserve. I managed, one time - somehow, I'm not sure how I managed it - to get the balls to NOT run straight through to the bottom. But then, it would not pay out when I got a ball in one of the front pockets, when shooting (no, I didn't cheat and open the glass and just drop one in - it's more fun the other way. Besides, I wanted to make sure everything else worked [grin]). I could reach around and make it drop the 15 or so balls, but that only lasted a couple of times. Then it all kind of froze up, and then when I started jiggling everything around, of course, everything ran through to the bottom again, and that was the end of that.

The control runs all seem to be pretty clean - no build up of dust and grime. There WAS a break in one of the plastic pieces, but I glued it back into place (making sure I didn't get any glue anywhere EXCEPT on the broken edges), and that was on the 'overflow' tube, and that still works just fine!

I will keep trying, and fiddling, and asking the experts (you folks), and perhaps I can get this wonderful old machine working. If anyone thinks they can figure out the problem, and want larger, clearer photos, just let me know - I'll email them to you. I loaded the largest pix the system would allow, but for some reason, it cropped them down to this size - go figure!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the photo limits for jpg (note 3-letter extension): 488 KB, 800 px width, 600 px height. Stay under those numbers you should be fine.

From your description, it sounds like you have a jam where the rod going straight up the back right side—which connects the horizontal ball trigger lever at the bottom left (tipped by winning balls coming down the curved shoot) to the horizontal release lever that opens the jackpot—is getting hung up by the drop gates in the ball rails that feed into the top of the jackpot. Those gates will default to staying open (and dropping balls straight through to the bottom) once the lever (which is pushed by a wire through the tiny hole in the front left of the cabinet) has triggered it. You have to manually reset that lever to release the vertical rod, otherwise it is locked from moving up and down and will prevent the jackpot balls from falling out of the holding circle.

See if that fixes it.