Thread: Coin Mech often won't take coins.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Coin Mech often won't take coins.

Hi all. I'm having trouble with the coin mechanism on my Dunes machine. I skulked around on this board for a while a couple of years ago trying to get info on my machine ( PachiTalk ). Now I'm trying to sell it again and the coin mechanism is giving me fits and affecting the saleability of the machine. Most tokens that go through the machine will simply stick in the mechanism and won't go through. On occasion one will without a problem. Other times it will accept the coin if you lightly push the coin return button. I had someone seriously looking at it and suddenly this became an issue and they lost interest. If I can fix it soon they may still be interested.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Coin Mech often won't take coins.

try raising the track that the token runs on by elec tape or thin tie wrap...it sounds like the tokens are falling through the coin trap and jamming(tokens to small/token wear/track wear)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

could it be you tokens?
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've used the same tokens since I got the machine. They worked perfect for several years. The machine rarely got used over the last several years and has been in indoor storage. Does the mechanism require power to test it? I've pulled it out and am trying to figure out where the hangup is. The "track" appears to be a half inch long piece of molded plastic that is part of the spring loaded front half of the mechanism. There is a counterweight system in the track that, immediately after it clears that, the coin stops and I can still see the edge of the coin through the hole for the counterweight.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

clean the token acceptor with contact cleaner or all parts with a q tip and 50/50 rubbing alcohol..

clean your tokens in hot soapy water or CLR, then rinse good and dry them.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My coins are clean. I've rarely used them since I got a bag of brand new ones. As for the mechanism... it's pretty clean as far as I can tell. I've carefully wiped down both sides of the track. Is there any kind of lubrication (dry or wet) that needs to be used with these. It looks to be a fairly maintenance free mechanism as long as it's kept clean.

On a side note... anyone know what the green lit button is on the front of the circuit board mounted to the front of the coin mechanism? I've never been able to figure it out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have seen this before...

Many coin mechanisms have a magnet in them that will grab coins with too much steel content. You can adjust that magnet if you can find it. They are in different places depending on the mechanism. I have had to back those out several times on my machines. I picked up some cheap tokens from the Internet that were real bad about getting stuck on the magnet.

You will need to remove the mechanism, and on the back side of it should be a set screw that holds a round magnet in a hole. Move it further from the coin.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No set screw here. Each side of the mechanism has a blob of epoxy or silicone with a set of wires going into the front blob. This is almost in line with where the coins seem to stick. It's more toward the upper half of the track. There's an electromagnet way down low that hooks to a lever mechanism that allows the coins through... I assume if they pass the "test", but the coins never make it to that point.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoodBurn View Post
    I have seen this before...

Many coin mechanisms have a magnet in them that will grab coins with too much steel content. You can adjust that magnet if you can find it. They are in different places depending on the mechanism. I have had to back those out several times on my machines. I picked up some cheap tokens from the Internet that were real bad about getting stuck on the magnet.

You will need to remove the mechanism, and on the back side of it should be a set screw that holds a round magnet in a hole. Move it further from the coin.
    Thats where I was going with my question but he said they worked fine for years. So I don't think its the magnet.
    Chris Dice
    Yo 11 any 7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by spyderveloce View Post
    My coins are clean. I've rarely used them since I got a bag of brand new ones.
    Do you have any of the old tokens to try?

I still think the magnet may be the issue. Can you take some pictures of your coin mech?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

double check the track the tokens ride on ,if it was not used in storage for some time the chrome has a tendency to separate from the plastic or metal and bubble up causing a jam .try scraping the path with a small jewelers screw driver and blow out any debris left behind .
    Jeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

By any chance; did you get your new tokens here http://www.skillstopslots.com/tokens.php or do they look like these?

These tokens are very problematic...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

those cherry ones are attracted by a magnet, they usually only work on Rodeo machines.

or the magnet can be removed from the token accepter on other machines
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That too is my thought LD.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well... No chrome on the coin mech. It's made of a hard plastic of sorts so, no corrosion. The coins are "Ginnabe - Pachi Slo" coins. If I can get a pic I'll post it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with luckydog, even though it doesn't look dirty clean everything, you'd be surprised on how much smoother everything works. Also you'll be surprised on how much dirt comes off!

Cheers,
    Vespacar

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    clean the token acceptor with contact cleaner or all parts with a q tip and 50/50 rubbing alcohol..

clean your tokens in hot soapy water or CLR, then rinse good and dry them.

Just when you think you've acomplished something!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry for the delay but here are the pics I promised. If anyone can give me an idea what might fix this issue I'd sure appreciate it. The mechanism has been cleaned and the tokens are clean as well. The pic with the red circle indicates about where the coins stick. There appears to be what looks like a magnet on the back but it doesn't line up with the coin track and is a solenoid of some sort to aid in allowing coins that pass the "test" to continue through. Still don't know what the button on the circuit board of the coin mech is for either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like there may be an Electromagnet attached to the coin unit. Try disconnecting the Green or Yellow wires that are attached to the round area on the coin unit. See Pic one. Hope it helps. PS: I use have used the cherry tokens and have had no problem once I removed the magnets from the coin units.
    Attached Images Attached Images