Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nishijin-based Computer Pachinko - need help!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin-based Computer Pachinko - need help!

Any luck with the machine? I recently got the same or very similar machine and its pretty broke. (https://goo.gl/photos/oQGDY1qUtNiavyhp9)
    The resistors (or diodes) between the solinods are busted and some things are cracked...

Any insight you have or even more detailed high res pic of yours might help me

thanks!

2. The following user says "Thanks" to mopie992

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Could that solenoid be to release the balls when a coin is inserted? After all this is coin operated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought I would add a computer pachinko to my collection just so I don't run short of projects! If nothing else it is a neat addition for $20. It's a bit water stained but is mostly functional.

The game works fine as do most of the electronics. The only things not working yet are the scoreboard and the release of winning balls. The same solenoid for wins works fine only when credits are used and balls are dispensed. One credit will show when a coin is inserted for multi player. Nothing found to be loose other than one wire I soldered so the hunt continues. Thinking of switching around IC's with the same number into different sockets on the circuit board to see if anything changes and tracing wires more closely.

Lighting is a bit washed out in my apartment. There also wasn't a lower cabinet that came with it. I'd like to change the coin mechanism over to use pachislo tokens as well if possible.

ComputerPachinkoA.jpgComputerPachinkoB.jpg

5. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would not swap chips into other sockets unless your sure they are in the wrong place. Could cause more magic smoke to be released.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I assumed that the multiple chips with the same codes/part number would have the same programming or logic code? I never did any chip programming so perhaps a good thing to bring up before I blow something up?

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Swapping the same chip numbers is OK, unless it is a prom (programmed). Standard logic chips would be fine to swap as long as it's the same. Nice if your chips are socketed, easy to change. On 1 of the satomi computer pachinko's I fixed I changed out 12 of 14 chips before it would work proper, none of which were socketed.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the follow up Tink!
    I don't know the difference between programmed and standard logic chips. But I do know these are removable and of the 22 similar ones, several are coded as this one. Any thoughts???
    CD4011AE
    RCA 636
    RCA636chip.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Logic Circuit, Quad 2-Input NAND, CMOS"

You should be fine to swap for troubleshooting purposes, it's basically a simple logic chip. All it does is register a "Yes" unless all the inputs register as "Yes", in which case it registers as a "No". In this case, it's comprised of four NAND "gates" (the "quad"), each of which takes two inputs, and registers 1 when either input is 0, and 0 if both inputs are 1. And there's even a handy "schematic" here for a standard 4011 that will tell you what pin does what. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_gate

For the record, the number after RCA should be a date code. June 1963 I believe is when that particular chip is made.

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Swap away

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by LynnInDenver View Post
    "Logic Circuit, Quad 2-Input NAND, CMOS"

You should be fine to swap for troubleshooting purposes, it's basically a simple logic chip. All it does is register a "Yes" unless all the inputs register as "Yes", in which case it registers as a "No". In this case, it's comprised of four NAND "gates" (the "quad"), each of which takes two inputs, and registers 1 when either input is 0, and 0 if both inputs are 1. And there's even a handy "schematic" here for a standard 4011 that will tell you what pin does what. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAND_gate

For the record, the number after RCA should be a date code. June 1963 I believe is when that particular chip is made.
    Thank you Lynn, this is very informative I will get further into this and the relays later in the week and let everyone know how I did
    Last edited by Peteybob; 10-31-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A little long but a good outcome

I got a few hours in today to poke around the circuit board and found a very tiny break in a solder joint when compared to pictures from other users. Looks like someone had a go at this once already and a tool scratched through a few spots, one breaking the joint. This fix in itself did not correct any of the issues. The fuse was taken out and tested okay. I also separated the wiring to inspect which all looked fine.

Next I swapped around the relays being all 3 are the same on my board but this changed nothing. I also swapped around (shot gunning?) several IC’s after some general learning about each type. So my educated guess was to start with the 3 flip-flop IC’s in U2, U5, and U7. Doing so has fixed two of my known three problems. The winning balls are now triggered to pay out and the scoreboard is adding 10 points for each ball in a pocket/tulip. The third issue is that credits are not given after each 100+ points. At least that’s what I understand is to happen?? I was able to duplicate the same problems so I assume part of this CD4013 IC batch is faulty or perhaps the problem is in relation with somewhere else? More reading and such for another day on the credits part.

I like that the amount of balls being dispensed can be set to 4, 6, or 8. Sort of a difficulty setting for how many winning balls you can get for continued play. You get three sets of that number for initial play and you win the 4, 6, or 8 for each ball in a pocket/tulip plus you get the winning ball back as well. Give the better shooters less to start with and per win for a greater challenge perhaps.

I’m two thirds there and will report back with any additional findings. Thanks to all that helped me in this thread and in prior threads!
    ComputerPachinkoBoard2.jpg

Some background information for others working on a similar machine.
    I have board # PEI 117-4 which may be very similar to others but not completely the same.

The LED’s in the score and credit section were lit up and appeared okay all along since I got this machine. The credits section did and still does function when set to multi-player and adding 1 credit for an additional player when a token is inserted. I have not gotten it to add credits thru play and score total as of yet.

The scoring and payout of winning balls was not working at all prior to changing around the IC’s. The mechanics of the payout seemed alright as it is the same as what dispenses the balls when inserting a token for play and this has been working. I figured it had to be either a bad wire or a signal not getting sent. A winning ball would go into the seesaw and trip the micro switch above it. This in turn would cause the lower solenoid to reset to seesaw and payout out the single ball from inside it. The same micro switch also seemed to be the only thing to trigger the far right solenoid for a payout of your winning balls. This micro switch is also what causes 10 points to be added to the score board each time it is activated.

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So for the 4013s, you might try just purchasing a complete set of replacements, and seeing if that clears any further problems. Although it's always possible that just swapping them around cleared some corrosion. Here's a link for a place to purchase them. https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...gDrillDownView

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the link

I was thinking of getting replacements being they are very inexpensive. I wondered about the possible clearing of corrosion after things worked right. So I did put the three back in their original spots and the same problems came back. I'm sure some corrosion did come loose but I also think a fault has occurred in one of those IC's or one of the others that might relate to them. With that I will most likely spend the few dollars for replacements and go from there.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had one of these once. pretty straight forward. if the pay see saw wont tip to the right when a ball enters it it is bound up. pull off the link to the lower see saw and check, if it frees up then pull the lower see saw and check the pivot shaft. if the pay see say is still tight pull it off and check the pivot shaft. if ok, while it is off ensure that the 2 balls inside are not stuck or rusted in place. only a ball entering the see saw makes it tip, no mechanical mean other than gravity makes it work good luck.

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to alknarr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello alknarr and welcome to the group!

Thank you for the tips.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alknarr View Post
    I had one of these once. pretty straight forward. if the pay see saw wont tip to the right when a ball enters it it is bound up. pull off the link to the lower see saw and check, if it frees up then pull the lower see saw and check the pivot shaft. if the pay see say is still tight pull it off and check the pivot shaft. if ok, while it is off ensure that the 2 balls inside are not stuck or rusted in place. only a ball entering the see saw makes it tip, no mechanical mean other than gravity makes it work good luck.

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

65 degrees in Indianapolis, IN today......February 19........ for you folks who live in California or Florida, what I'm saying is no big deal. For the rest of you, February is still pretty much winter, and unless you have a man cave basement, garages get pretty cold in the winter. My "projects" are in the garage, and today, I got to raise the garage door and work on my toys......one of which is my "Computer Pachinko" machine. After futzing around with it for an hour or so, (the payout / bell-ringing feature which didn't previously work) I noted a manual adjustment that could be made next to the solenoid. A couple of turns of the screwdriver later, and KAZAM!!!!!!! It works!!!! Can't quite believe it.......was convinced that I was going to need outside help, but, dammit, I've got skills too!!!

At at that point, I got cocky, and decided that if it was going to work, it had better be clean. So, I started taking it apart to clean the parts, pieces, and nails. Not going to replace the play field (would cost me a fortune, and is really not necessary on this machine), so I took the features and spinners off to get the nails ready for shining. Somewhere along the way, I did something to the bell and the next thing I knew, the bell wasn't ringing nor was the score counting. I was pissed. So after a drink, and some adjustments to the bell, I'm back!!!! All is functional except for the replay feature, and I can live without that if everything else is functional. Really pumped about today.......BEST PART? Tomorrow is a paid holiday!!! I get to keep on working on it.

at this point, I need to clean the parts, nails, and get it back together. It should work! Just wanted to share my day and excitement over getting this machine operational.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

31. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk. Love your avatar. Fireball is probably my favorite EM pinball. I always keep my eye out locally for a good deal on one, but have yet to see anything except the home editions and the fireball II machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    65 degrees in Indianapolis, IN today......February 19........ for you folks who live in California or Florida, what I'm saying is no big deal. For the rest of you, February is still pretty much winter, and unless you have a man cave basement, garages get pretty cold in the winter. My "projects" are in the garage, and today, I got to raise the garage door and work on my toys......one of which is my "Computer Pachinko" machine. After futzing around with it for an hour or so, (the payout / bell-ringing feature which didn't previously work) I noted a manual adjustment that could be made next to the solenoid. A couple of turns of the screwdriver later, and KAZAM!!!!!!! It works!!!! Can't quite believe it.......was convinced that I was going to need outside help, but, dammit, I've got skills too!!!

At at that point, I got cocky, and decided that if it was going to work, it had better be clean. So, I started taking it apart to clean the parts, pieces, and nails. Not going to replace the play field (would cost me a fortune, and is really not necessary on this machine), so I took the features and spinners off to get the nails ready for shining. Somewhere along the way, I did something to the bell and the next thing I knew, the bell wasn't ringing nor was the score counting. I was pissed. So after a drink, and some adjustments to the bell, I'm back!!!! All is functional except for the replay feature, and I can live without that if everything else is functional. Really pumped about today.......BEST PART? Tomorrow is a paid holiday!!! I get to keep on working on it.

at this point, I need to clean the parts, nails, and get it back together. It should work! Just wanted to share my day and excitement over getting this machine operational.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question: is this particular machine designed to payout balls upon hitting winning pockets, or is it like an arrangeball......16 balls and if you get a free replay with your score, great?
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

35. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast