Thread: Novice needs help!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Novice needs help!

Hi All -

I am so glad to have found this forum! I've spent about 6 hours reading through older threads and posted material and am very grateful for such an an abundance of knowledge. As like many, I have fond memories of playing Pachinko at my Grandfathers house and fighting over whose turn it was for hours with my younger brother.

So, I finally took the plunge and bought a couple on Craigslist. One to keep, and one for him. Now that he has a daughter, I am sure it will get plenty of use!

Can anyone help me identify the model and years information? I believe mine (#1) to be 1973 Nishijin Model A (1200) Super Deluxe which is the first photo and has a lighter frame and brown plastic on back. His, is a Nishijin Super Deluxe, but I have no idea how to tell age or other attributes (#2 with darker wooden cabinet frame and green plastic on back).

1_front.jpg1_back.jpg2_front.jpg2_back.jpg

I would appreciate any help. I have read through (and printed) the cleaning instruction manual and with a little elbow gres and a 9 volt battery, I am hoping his to become a great Christmas gift!

Thanks in advance!

2. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to yeltrah

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Novice needs help!

your about right on the first machine.. nice looking model "A" style of machine.. early 70's for sure..

the second one is a bit harder to find.. want to use the word "rare" but its not like its worth a ton of rare money.. but less common thats for sure.. i would say its a later 70's machine ??? 76 78.. something like that.. the date is in the lower right corner under the plastics.. another nice looking machine...

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk

what a great Christmas present
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome . Both are nice looking machines. The second has a funky looking back, I have never seen a photo of a back like that. Looks nice. I am sure it will be a well received Christmas present.
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you both for the comments! I only paid $40 each, so I think with some cleaning, new balls and a battery it should be a good gift. What do you mean by "under plastics"? I'd like to be able to know the model so I can find specific schematics.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk. There is a lot of archived information in the forums and really friendly folks always willing to help with questions. One of the members here (mxfaiman) has a great reference manual on his site for dating Nishijin machines. The link to the manual is here: http://www.pachinkoboy.com/machine-m...brand/nishijin

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the addiction....er.....hobby.

The second machine in your pictures is a Model C machine - not as common as the Model A or Model B machines, but also not of a significantly higher value either; just harder to find. We refer to vintage machines as Model A, B, or C based on the ball flow design of the back side.

Congrats on your finds, and please keep us updated on your gift delivery. We would love to follow your story and see pictures from when the gift is finally received.

Please visit us daily and post often.

~Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

10. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For cleaning the ball paths on the back...the Model A is pretty straightforward, as almost everything is accessible. Almost all the ball paths on the Model C is enclosed...not to worry, the entire back comes off pretty easy. Look for 5 "squeeze clips" that may or may not have a black rubber wedge in the clip. These clips (or snaps) hold the back on. Once released, the whole back comes off in one piece! Makes cleaning a breeze! I thought I had a pic of one, but NOT. I'm on my way to work. If you need help figuring it out, I can post some pics after work! In the mean time, this is VERY INTERESTING on the Model A. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...animation.html If you have been sifting through the threads, you have probably already seen it!

12. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Model C machine...I only have one (I have 26 machines!)...they are a little scarce! They are a WONDERFUL design!!! The model A is Very good because every ball that "misses" falls into the "jackpot" hopper. This means you can play for HOURS on just a couple hundred balls! this is because you don't have to shift balls from "lost balls" to "jackpot hopper". The lost balls go into the jackpot hopper! This is why it is called a RECYCLER. The Model C has a MODULAR type backside, that is common with all of them. I'm not saying that you could take mine, and make it work on yours...just that they are the same...mostly! Here is the whole back.DSCF9053.JPG Like I said earlier...there are 5 "clips" that may...or, may not have a black rubber wedge in the middle. Here is one clip with a "wedge" in it. DSCF9044.JPG I'll call this "clip #1". It is the only "clip" that has a wedge in it. DSCF9051.JPG The wedge is simply to keep the clips from "accidentally" being squeezed and the back falling off. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!! The wedges are ALWAYS lost! I only have 1 of 5! If you have BLACK RUBBER WEDGES, remove them...(and sell them to me!) then squeeze them and gradually remove the back. There are 5 clips. The one shown above...next to the fuse block. The second one...beside the jackpot hopper.DSCF9050.JPG The third one is between the "upper' and "lower" tracks from the hopper.DSCF9045.JPG The 4th is below the jackpot seesaw.DSCF9047.JPG And the final one is at the bottom right.DSCF9046.JPG Once all 5 are squeezed, the entire back can be removed. One side looks like this...DSCF9055.JPG and the other side like this.DSCF9057.JPG I only had to unpluf one wire on mine to remove the back. All machines are different! Model C's ae easier to clean than Model B's.

14. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachiwall your info has been SO helpful! Thank you! I have gotten the back off and cleaned up pretty well. Now I just have to get it working....... not really sure where to start but I think I saw a tutorial on adding a 9v battery. Off I go....

16. The following user says "Thanks" to yeltrah

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the small and hardy bunch of collectors and restorers of these addicting and fun "Machines "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Volt-Trans...item3a95a889f3
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know getting the lights working is important. But the lights are not needed for your machines to work. What you will need for sure is a lot of pachinko balls. 300 minimum.

The Model A is slightly more complicated to adjust initially but doesn't require as many refills.