Thread: New to Pachinko, not sure where to start!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New to Pachinko, not sure where to start!!!

Hey all.

I bought an old machine from a garage sale about a year ago. Not working, no back, missing a few parts. I am just not sure what kind of machine I have or whetre to start to restore. I hope to make this the first of many machines, so any feed back or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are some images of machine:
    Front.jpgInside label.jpgBack.jpgBack Label.jpgCenter.jpg

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to IchibanDragon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New to Pachinko, not sure where to start!!!

Welcome, you have a Nishijin model C "Birds on a wire" I have the same one it was made in 1979. I have not got to restore my yet but a good place to start is cleaning the machine.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Awesome! I greatly appreciate it. I am sure I can find threads on here on proper cleaning. Is there places to get wire diagrams or a list of parts? I want to get as close to full restoration as possible.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to IchibanDragon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There is a lot of info here and I also have some on my web site

Pachinko Restorations - Free Stuff
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Cardwwi, the information you havce given has been very helpful. I will definatly check out your website for more information.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to IchibanDragon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: New to Pachinko, not sure where to start!!!

The Model C mechanism is secured by plastic squeeze latches. Sometimes there are black rubber plugs that pull out first.

Model C Mechanism Front.jpg NO Model C Mechanism Back.jpg Nishijin Model C Vintage Rolling Ski Back.jpg

There is a video in the stickys on the vintage forum that is worth a view.

Here is another video link...

<font size="3">

The wiring is quite dependable and simple; although it works best with incandescent bulbs as the negative is reversed between the jackpot and low reward portions of the circuit. Just hook up to the orange and white terminals, the yellow terminal is not used. The Model C is dependable because it uses two micro switches and NO leaf switches; and it uses a PCB for a lot of the wiring. Sometimes the fuse holder needs a little sanding.

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Forgot to say Welcome to Pachitalk and that your machine looks complete and like it will work "as-is". Do you have any pachinko balls? Might as well get 1000. Your see saw is in the correct position in your picture. Your machine won't work without enough pachinko balls.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

to the Site that Never Closes ( 24/7/365 ) gotta love the Vintage Pachinko's
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

nice looking machine
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome!

You stumbled into this world the same way I did! I spotted a non-working machine at an antique store clearance sale. 8 weeks later, I'm still cleaning, restoring, repairing, improving, obsessing...

A tip: Take pictures. Take more pictures. Take even more pictures. Did I mention taking pictures? As you disassemble the mechanism to clean it, take a picture of each piece. Make notes on how it's attached and keep track of the order in which you take the parts off. It'll make it a lot easier to reassemble and test.

TRUST ME ON THIS.

I started out taking lots of pictures, then got complacent. Once everything was clean, I ended up with a 3D jigsaw puzzle. This is especially true of the moving parts - the levers and seesaws and wire rods. Sometimes you have to thread a bent rod back through a hole in a certain orientation - which may be impossible if the other half is already screwed to the back of the machine. Did I mention taking pictures yet? You can't have too many. I ended up trying to zoom cellphone photos down to individual pixels, trying to catch a glimpse of some little fiddly part so I could see where it went. Of course, I have many photos of the stupidly-obvious items, but very few of the more complex things.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

Anyway, have fun. I think this is one of the most fascinating projects/hobbies I've found, and I've been looking for more than 40 years. Hell, I spent more time in the past week working on my 1974 Sankyo machine than I did playing the new Grand Theft Auto. I think PACHINKO CHANGED MY LIFE. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. Or maybe not.

Oh, welcome once more.

-Dito

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to bundito

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome to pachitalk!!!
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bundto View Post
    Welcome!

You stumbled into this world the same way I did! I spotted a non-working machine at an antique store clearance sale. 8 weeks later, I'm still cleaning, restoring, repairing, improving, obsessing...

A tip: Take pictures. Take more pictures. Take even more pictures. Did I mention taking pictures? As you disassemble the mechanism to clean it, take a picture of each piece. Make notes on how it's attached and keep track of the order in which you take the parts off. It'll make it a lot easier to reassemble and test.

TRUST ME ON THIS.

I started out taking lots of pictures, then got complacent. Once everything was clean, I ended up with a 3D jigsaw puzzle. This is especially true of the moving parts - the levers and seesaws and wire rods. Sometimes you have to thread a bent rod back through a hole in a certain orientation - which may be impossible if the other half is already screwed to the back of the machine. Did I mention taking pictures yet? You can't have too many. I ended up trying to zoom cellphone photos down to individual pixels, trying to catch a glimpse of some little fiddly part so I could see where it went. Of course, I have many photos of the stupidly-obvious items, but very few of the more complex things.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES.

Anyway, have fun. I think this is one of the most fascinating projects/hobbies I've found, and I've been looking for more than 40 years. Hell, I spent more time in the past week working on my 1974 Sankyo machine than I did playing the new Grand Theft Auto. I think PACHINKO CHANGED MY LIFE. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. Or maybe not.

Oh, welcome once more.

-Dito
    I can't agree more! I would have never been able to fix my Brains Beer slot machine if I had not taken LITERALLY hundreds of pictures!brains beer 003.jpgbrains beer 016.jpgbrains beer 010.jpg This thing is WAY more complex than a pachinko! I was sure that I was in WAY OVER MY HEAD!! I did, however, take the plunge and take it apart and was able to make it work! It wouldn't function, was almost siezed up with dried up oil, grease, and dirt (crud)!Pictures are a MUST! I took pics before removing anything, and pics of what it looked like once removed. I took pics of many things at several angles because just 1 angle don't always get the point across. Everything I took off was labeled as best I could, and put in a Ziplock bag. If I didn't know what to call it...I simply called it pic #127! Digital cameras are a blessing here, because you can see what you took, and delete if not right. Load them into your hard drive, and when ready, start at the last pic, go back 1 page, and install what wasn't in the previous pic. I couldn't have done it without taking pictures!ball lifter reel assy 010.jpgdisassembly 013.jpgdisassembly 022.jpgdisassembly 058.jpgdisassembly 060.jpg

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As I was looking at these pics, I recall that I was listening to the Grateful Dead on this greatful site! Grateful Dead : Free Music : Free Audio : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I can't agree more! I would have never been able to fix my Brains Beer slot machine...

OMG.

OMFG.

What a great slot machine! What's the age on that? 1940s? Who manufactured it? Tell me all!

My dad has a 1933 Pace Comet nickle slot machine. It's currently jammed because he's never maintained it. Also, somebody took the labels off the reels at some point and couldn't figure out how to put them back. So one of the lemons on the first reel has a pencil mark that shows it's really a "cherry".

15+ years ago, I bought him a book on maintenance and repair, self-published, like the pachinko books I've seen here. He never opened the book. I stole the book back and geeked out over all the detailed photographs. It goes without saying that I WANT THIS MACHINE. He refuses to take the hint and let me take it home "to repair it". My mom is all in favor of me taking it, simply because she's annoyed that it's jammed and doesn't work.

It's a family heirloom at this point. I told them I don't care what else they leave me in their will, as long as I get the slot machine.

Actually, dad is in a physical therapy rehab center following knee replacement surgery for the next few weeks. I bet mom would let me nab the machine. But my ADD is so bad that my poor Sankyo would never get finished if I get my hands on that slot machine.

(PS: a well-restored 1970s pachinko will sell for a few hundred bucks, max. A well-restored 1930s Pace or Bell slot machine will sell for thousands. Even prices for non-working machines start in the high hundreds.)

(PPS: the moment I get my hands on a vintage slot machine that needs repair, you guys will never hear from me again. )

-Dito

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bundito View Post

OMG.
    OMFG.

What a great slot machine! What's the age on that? 1940s? Who manufactured it? Tell me all!
    -Dito
    It's a BellFruit, never did learn the year. Here is the link to the thread...so as not to hijack the thread. Brains Beer! (Slot/Fruit Machine) I also bought a Mills mechanical slot...although not antique. Still cool! Jackpot !

28. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk.

Looks like Cardwwi and Carl got you covered. Just thought I'd pop in and say, HI!

-Max

100 machines and counting...