Thread: Help with a Vintage Heiwa...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help with a Vintage Heiwa...

IMG_1297.jpgIMG_1299.jpgIMG_1307.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1310.jpg

So, I bought this machine–and I haven't a clue where to begin work on it (or if it's even worth working on at all). I'm a total novice, but I'd really like to try and get it running, if possible. Does anyone have advice on where/how to start?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to sevenpips

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help with a Vintage Heiwa...

to Pachitalk!

That is a pretty nice looking 1977 Heiwa you found there. Looks like you are missing the track cover but you can get a reproduction one here. http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/...20&category=12

Also it is worth watching this video as your machine works the same exact way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEhv...FuYE-UxXp4ZepA

You'll also need to clear that minor ball jam to make it work right.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like there may be a lamp cord or something wired in. If so, do not plug it into the wall. This machine only needs a 9 volt battery or a low volt power adapter to operate the lights. The mechanics of the machine will work fine without any power so no need to worry about power until you get the mechanics operating. There are a lot of threads with video and photos showing how to get started. The one Max pointed out should be a great help to you. Once you've had a chance to watch it feel free to ask any questions you may have. Welcome to Pachitalk!

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

First thing would probably be several hundred more balls. 500 is good, 1000 is better.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

8. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

neat machine.. your missing the ball track cover but ya can make something for a temp cover.. on pic shows a ball jam starting.. other pic looks as though you cleared it..

see if the vid helps and fee free to ask any questions.. post pic of problem areas.. ( a pictures is worth a thousand words)

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME to PACHITALK! Nice looking machine you have there! BEAUTIFUL CHROME! Most machines seem to have rusty doors. Looks like all it really needs is a good cleaning You will be surprised where dirt and grime will hide! A bunch of good clean balls...You will NOT want to track dirt and rust back into the machine once you spent time cleaning it! And the aforementioned track cover.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, everyone, for responding to my question! I've looked at the video a couple of times but it will take at least few more viewings for me to gain a reasonable understanding of how the machine works. In the mean time, please forgive my questions if they seem a little dim.

Is it possible for me to even test the machine with only 200 (possibly less) balls? No matter what I do, I can't seem to launch any balls–so I'm wondering if it's a mechanical problem, a lack of balls, or a lack of understanding how the mechanism works.

Also–I'm pretty sure the people from whom I bought the machine plugged that lamp cord into the wall. What will I need to do in order to repair any damage that's been done?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You could try it with 200 balls but usually it become more frustrating due to the fact it won't reset everything correctly.

I'm also guessing the reason why it won't fire balls is because you don't have enough balls in the rear tray to push down the lever that allows balls into the shooter. Otherwise everything in that area looks fine.

Also the lamp cord isn't much to worry about. The wiring only powers 3 lightbulbs and doesn't change how the machine works, so you can play it without power.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Will it be possible to repair the wiring and get the lights working? I'd be a little sad if they stayed broken forever...

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wouldn't plug it in anymore. Go get some 9v bulbs to replace those lights and hook up a wall transformer or 9v battery. No need having 120VAC coursing through it especially with the back exposed. Way too sparky!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sevenpips View Post
    Will it be possible to repair the wiring and get the lights working? I'd be a little sad if they stayed broken forever...
    Yes. The only thing you need to go is like compirate said is to replace the light bulbs. Cost you a total of probably $5 to fix it.

Also to power them I use wall warts for like phones or radios. You can usually pick them up at most thrift stores for about a buck. And if you can't find one that is 9 volt DC then try to find a 6 or 12V one and get the right bulbs for it.

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Help with a Vintage Heiwa...

I'll jump in with my $0.02

IMG_1310CW.JPG IMG_1309CW.JPG

Image 1309
    Red oval is piece that moves the flag to allow pachinko balls into the shooting mechanism.

Blue oval is reset plunger for the see saw. Push up to reset see saw for normal play.

Green oval is the jackpot ball release. Move up to release stuck jackpot ball.
    Should move freely.

Image 1310
    Red rectangle shows two white pieces. The bottom of these pieces need to be moved to the right to allow the jackpot lever to move all the way up and down.

Cyan rectangle is jackpot leaf switch. Yours is closed, it is normally open and closes when the jackpot lever moves up and down. This needs adjustment.

Fix the machine before you concern yourself with the lights. The lights can be repaired but won't work properly until the machine works.

22. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is it possible for me to even test the machine with only 200 (possibly less) balls? No matter what I do, I can't seem to launch any balls–so I'm wondering if it's a mechanical problem, a lack of balls, or a lack of understanding how the mechanism works.
    Absolutely! Probably can TEST with less than 50! But can't PLAY without adding more. First need at least enough to press down the white Z shaped things. When those are down, they move their tails to the right allowing a jackpot cycle. With 200 balls it will easily fill to depress the white platform just below the hopper. If you were low on balls, this platform lifts up...lifting this wire with it.
    The one that comes down from the top on the left of the seesaw with a couple right angle bends. I can't tell if it is attached to the metal bar/lever above the shooter. What happens when you lift or lower that rod? Most likely, it will block or free up passage of balls from the front tray to the shooter. With a full front tray...and empty rear hopper...Push down on the white platform that moves that linkage. If all is attached and working, about 7 to 10 balls will roll into the door toward the shooter. This is often disabled by previous owners...and they NEVER keep the parts they removed with the machine!
    OK...back to your issue. Have you opened the glass, then unlatched the lower door (With empty front tray), and placed a ball on the track, to see if the shooter is striking it? I'm not sure if the shooter is not striking the ball...or if the "low ball" mechanism is blocking balls from reaching the shooter mechanism???

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again for all the information and advice! It's going to take me a while to digest it and put it to use...

pachiwall: I managed to place a ball on the track, and the shooter works fine–I guess the "low ball" mechanism is blocking it? Lifting or lowering the metal bar/lever above the shooter doesn't seem to do anything (nor does pushing down the white platform that moves the linkage).

CarlW: The diagrams are really helpful in understanding what I'm looking at. I just don't quite understand what I need to do to the pieces you've indicated to get the machine working properly...do I need to fix the jackpot leaf switch (and if so, how)?

It's so great to be able to ask you guys for help– I'd be up a certain creek sans paddle with out you all!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First thing would be to try to get a pachinko ball to load appropriately.
    Can you open the front window and shooting door?

If so, can you please take a few pictures of the area near the shooting hammer? This would be on the front of your machine.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have often seen where the previous owner disables the low ball flag at the flag..

open the lower door and see if its bent or bound up??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=sevenpips;529712 pachiwall: I managed to place a ball on the track, and the shooter works fine–I guess the "low ball" mechanism is blocking it? Lifting or lowering the metal bar/lever above the shooter doesn't seem to do anything (nor does pushing down the white platform that moves the linkage).[/QUOTE] did you open the door with the front ball tray to access the area...or just drop a ball down there. If you haven't discovered yet, a small plunger on theleft unlatches the lower door (after the glass is opened, of course). Look at the inside section (post a pic...I don't know what it looks like on a Heiwa) of the door. You should see the linkage attached to a gate that is blocking the balls. Also look for debris that can stop ball flow. All it takes is a piece of fuzz or a grain of dirt in the right place to bring it to a halt! There are usually clips or tabs that release a cover (or door) exposing the ball track area. This will need to be cleaned...its always dirty. The linkage attached to the door will interact with a wire or linkage coming through a hole or gap from the back (the wire you were moving). The linkage rod from the back moves the linkage on the door...unblocking the balls. They can be bent, and not engaging. They could have been disabled, and whatever they used to hold the gate open came loose. If any sounds confusing (its real easy...just hard to describe), I could post some pics of the area...however I have no Heiwa machine of that era. My avatar is the back of the only Heiwa I own. It is a single ball machine...so it has NONE of what we have been talking about. If it don't make any sense, I can post pics of a couple other brands...but pics of your machine in the area of question is the best bet!

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I opened up the door with the front ball tray (thanks for the tip, pachiwall) and found...a pink plastic bead blocking the ball flow. I extracted it, and now the balls roll down to the shooter mechanism without a hitch (so far).

Here are photos of the area, in case there's still something amiss.
    Attachment 78904Attachment 78903

Now for a thorough cleaning–that should be enough to keep me busy for a day or so!
    Another question: what would you recommend for cleaning the yellowed plastic on the lower door, especially around the ashtray? I've tried everything in the house to no avail. I saw a recommendation for retr0brite–or is that a horrible idea?

33. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to sevenpips

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I saw a recommendation for retr0brite–or is that a horrible idea?
    I have tried various things, even retrobright; and nothing really works all that well. What I do if I want things back to bright white is I just repaint them with white spray paint designed for plastic.

retrobright will get plastic whiter again but in my attempts I noticed it does yellow back after a while. (granted not what it started like but it does yellow slightly)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad you found the problem! A foreign object is OFTEN the problem. Can't see the photos. Were they regular pachitalk attachments...or some photo site like photobucket? have you checked to see if the low ball mechanism is working? It really isn't necessary...but I like to fix them if disabled. I have some with missing parts...and if it is not a Nishijin Model B, then you probably won't find them. But, if it don't work or pieces are missing...you will never miss them. I miss them because I know they are supposed to be there!

36. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall