Thread: Cell coating options for restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Cell coating options for restoration

Okay, I've been having some interesting phone discussions while I call around on the cell coating for my 50ft Woman restoration/creation (I'm supposed to be working).

We have a really good and experienced company here locally called ProLam. The guy got pretty excited about the project, being outside the norm for him. He also wanted to wax nostalgically about the pachinkos in his house when he was a kid (I of course encouraged that ).

He can laminate with lexan, polyethylene, or vinyl. Various thicknesses and finishes (gloss, semi, satin…). To my surprise, he is doing some more research but tentatively steering me away from lexan and towards the vinyl. He says he has one product that is very scratch resistant. He also believes that this would be most similar to what they “probably” used originally. There’s a question for you guys—anyone know what the old cell coatings are made from?

Sounds like something Compirate might know?

Another option he presented is to print onto adhesive-backed vinyl (that he usually uses for vehicle graphics) followed by a vinyl lamination. I’ll be picking up some samples to smack my balls against as a test (wait, that didn’t sound right).

Anyway, looks like I’m making progress. Running out of excuses—time to put in some late nights on this project soon.

2. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to Siouxzan