Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early Modern not powering up: ebay purchase need help tracing power supply

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Early Modern not powering up: ebay purchase need help tracing power supply

So I purchased an early modern nishijin extra fine alpha off ebay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133160020828

The machine won't power up likely due to rough handling by fedex ground. I'm having problems tracing some of the connections and I noticed one of the green clips looks like it plugs one side into a box on the right above the power supply and the other side has nothing plugged in. Power was tested prior to shipping but unfortunately the seller doesn't know much about the machine. If anybody can tell me where to trace I've got no problem resoldering connections or taking more pictures.

IMG_0379.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Early Modern not powering up: ebay purchase need help tracing power supply

So I found some broken traces on the power supply, it lights up now, power flickers and the center display doesn't light up. I'm wondering if I should just replace the power supply, and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Early Modern not powering up: ebay purchase need help tracing power supply

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Modern machines are made in 2 parts. Frame and cel. Sounds like you have power to the frame, but its not getting to the cel. Could be loose wire, blown fuse, connector come out.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got a couple of wires that look disconnected to the cell in the center. I'm going to take some pictures, if you can identify what each thing is I can figure out how to fix it

Thanks
    Thanks Received

video of parts of the machine and some photos uploaded the the photo link above, if I can figure out how to get the cell to power up and get the machine to payout I'll be super happy.

Also this looks to be a CR machine but I can't find the CR bypass dongle to install a pinball dave smartcard emulator

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update, found the CR port, plugged in a CR bypass dongle, the buttons on the front light up and work so its likely power to the cell, I have a new transformer on order https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I assume its 12 VAC output 110V Input.

I know this a massive amount to ask of all of you but does anybody know where the manuals are to the machine or wouldn't mind me bringing a laptop to my workbench and help diagnose by video camera after I do the transformer swap.

The transformer definitely looks dodgy, I need to pickup a new multimeter but I'll test the output once I pick one up tomorrow.

I still can't get it to pay out or dump the balls in the payout tube. I've only got 75 balls but I've got another 500 coming in tomorrow or the next day.

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

24VAC, not 12

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

9. The following user says "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Early Modern not powering up: ebay purchase need help tracing power supply

Where is that black wire supposed to be connected to? The transformer? There’s probably nothing wrong with the transformer itself if it was working before shipped; just came loose and some wires got pulled out perhaps?

There’s no manual for these; if it gets broken only help is to compare pics from someone with same machine and do some troubleshooting.

Anyway, as mentioned that transformer you ordered won’t work since wrong voltage. The machine wouldn’t work at all if the transformer was to blame.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    Where is that black wire supposed to be connected to? The transformer? There’s probably nothing wrong with the transformer itself if it was working before shipped; just came loose and some wires got pulled out perhaps?

There’s no manual for these; if it gets broken only help is to compare pics from someone with same machine and do some troubleshooting.

Anyway, as mentioned that transformer you ordered won’t work since wrong voltage. The machine wouldn’t work at all if the transformer was to blame.
    So I managed to cancel the transformer order and get a new one last night. I've ordered the following:
    New plug: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Edwards Signalling 599 120V/24V 40W Transformer https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The black wire that's disconnected / cut goes to the CR box. I'm going to reground literally everything, wire up a fresh transformer and ground plug so its all safe. When I received the machine it was full of stink bugs so now I have to pull the balls out and do a complete cleaning. Its out in my garage right now so the cold will kill them all, figure 2 day quarantine then aircompressor run.

Does anybody have any links to cell swaps walkthroughs or any reverse engineering for that vintage of frame? I figure if I know what everything is I should be ok. I do see another set of wires that look to be cut that I'm trying to trace.

Does anybody know what this wire is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SPxKxpHUhbNnu6uE8 It looks like its cut and I don't know what it goes to. I'm also trying to find the payout bar so I can make sure the thing pays out properly.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Added pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

14. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a friend do some translation, he thinks they mean

即止 “Instant Stop”
    普当 “Ordinary”
    確変 “Certainty”

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The one with the cut wires might be “lamp information”

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I managed to do some cleanup, and the machine paid out, stopped once I found another bug (stink bug) in the system, will do another clean run to get the payout to work, the cell still doesn't operate, cables all look like they are plugged in.

I will update once I've swapped the transformer + added grounding plug and do one more clean out

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ev3lmog View Post
    So I managed to cancel the transformer order and get a new one last night. I've ordered the following:
    New plug: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Edwards Signalling 599 120V/24V 40W Transformer https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The black wire that's disconnected / cut goes to the CR box. I'm going to reground literally everything, wire up a fresh transformer and ground plug so its all safe. When I received the machine it was full of stink bugs so now I have to pull the balls out and do a complete cleaning. Its out in my garage right now so the cold will kill them all, figure 2 day quarantine then aircompressor run.

Does anybody have any links to cell swaps walkthroughs or any reverse engineering for that vintage of frame? I figure if I know what everything is I should be ok. I do see another set of wires that look to be cut that I'm trying to trace.

Does anybody know what this wire is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SPxKxpHUhbNnu6uE8 It looks like its cut and I don't know what it goes to. I'm also trying to find the payout bar so I can make sure the thing pays out properly.
    Sorry, never seen that frame before; I’m guessing it’s an early 2000’s model. Doesn’t appear to be a very common model. Did they really charge $700 for that machine?! Listed price seems abnormally high for an older machine.

Not sure what you mean by payout bar. Payouts are listed I. The upper right corner near the name of the machine.

It’s normal for there to be some cut wires for the call attendant light if I’m not mistaken; lots of my machines have cut wires and they work fine.
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 10-22-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nah, I made an offer for 300 and got it. So I didn't get royally screwed but it came in high.

Updates on troubleshooting, the payout mechanism works as I hooked up a pinball dave smartcard emulator, and can get it to dispense balls via the front bottons when the hopper is loaded. I however cannot get it to payout in normal gameplay and I can't get the center screen to light up. Mechanically it shoots balls fine which is good, the lower right CR controller works, so I'm sortof at a loss as to why I can't get the cell to work, connections are tight etc. It definitely needs some cleaning though. All of the bugs from shipping have been removed.

If anybody has any idea on the cell that would be awesome. I bought the machine figuring it would be a bit of a project so as long as I get it working I'm happy.

I'll post more updates as I torubleshoot and also when the new transformer arrives in.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to ev3lmog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IMG_20191021_161554.jpgSo more wire tracing, there is a black wire with green ends that looks cut and I can't find out what its for, it goes from the CR unit to empty

IMG_20191021_161732.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok so my transformer and new plug came in, looks like I'll need to run to the hardware store to buy some AC cable.

I've got a question on the ground. Since I don't have a common house ground like a pachinko parlour would, I'm tempted to use my house ground. The question I have is since there's a voltage differential between what the machine operates on and what comes into the house is there any danger of using a common ground on the machine and the house. Nominal voltage on ground should be zero so in normal operation this shouldn't cause a problem.

Has anybody else tied machine ground into the transformer ground without problems? Am I missing something here? I just don't want to cause any serious problems when I go to do the swap later today.

IMG_20191023_094514.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ev3lmog View Post
    IMG_20191021_161554.jpgSo more wire tracing, there is a black wire with green ends that looks cut and I can't find out what its for, it goes from the CR unit to empty

IMG_20191021_161732.jpg

In the original eBay pic there’s a black wire that’s disconnected; and those were taken when the cell was working. Could be a wire that was connected to something in the parlor but not needed for home use.

So I’m guessing that the transformer came loose in shipment; banged around in the box and broke/dislodged something?? Maybe Fedex dropped it off a truck? I doubt it could “cut” a wire cleanly like that, maybe pull one loose from a connector, are there any connectors on the boards with no wires attached?

It’s gonna be tough to figure out what exactly happened; I’d start with un-plugging/re-plugging each and every connector; and check all the boards exposed for damage.

As for re-wiring a new transformer; I’m no electrician so will let someone else take that one as I don’t want to give bad advice and somebody ends up electrocuted or fries a machine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast