Thread: Been a while - new aquisition

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Been a while - new aquisition

This afternoon I saw an ad on craigslist where I guy was giving away what looked like an early modern machine about an hour from my house. So I trekked down there in the old rental car and found a machine that is as close to mint as I could ever believe. Not a mark on it, all the little clips in the back in place, etc. No even dusty inside. He also gave me about 1000 balls. Really amazing luck.

It's a Nishijin "Alpha" - and it works on a dice roll theme. If a ball falls in the middle flower starts a chance round on the screen. Three dice are rolled, and as near as I can tell, if they match up, there's a large horizontal slot underneath the flower that opens (something must open it, and I haven't managed to get it to open or to get the dice to line up, even cheating). Balls that fall in this slot in this slot pay out 15-to-1 (opened it manually to see). Balls in the two side pockets pay 10-to-1. The chance flower pays 5-to-1.

01212_9SXFA3gV1py_1200x900.jpgIMG_8215.jpg

Looks from the stickers that it was used in Japan and then Guam - in Guam from 1997-98:

IMG_8218.jpgIMG_8219.jpgIMG_8220.jpg

Seems to work perfectly. But I noticed two things. First, there's this weird set of buttons and counter on the front that seem to do nothing. I wonder if they're inactive or if they're just burned out. Anyone know?:

IMG_8221.jpg

Second, someone covered the ashtray with duct tape, and it's been there a LONG time. Peeling it left this residue. Can I use Goo Gone (the orange stuff), Goof Off (the stuff in the metal can) or something like that? I don't want to damage the plastic.

IMG_8223.jpg

Thanks! And, as always, sorry for the pictures all upside down and sideways. I don't understand why that happens.
    Last edited by Rickyearl; 07-10-2016 at 07:21 PM.

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Rickyearl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Been a while - new aquisition

Nice find – Congrats!!

The counter and buttons would be activated in a pachinko parlor. They are for a ball loan and payout system via a card reader. You can use a “Daverob” card reader and dongle to use these buttons like in a Japanese parlor. They add a nice level of excitement to the game play!
    (http://www.pinballdave.com/cre/)
    I’m not sure on the tape removal and possible damage to the plastic colors.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Peteybob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the slot that pays 15-1 won't open till you get a fever, then it will open for every fever round
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Nice find – Congrats!!

The counter and buttons would be activated in a pachinko parlor. They are for a ball loan and payout system via a card reader. You can use a “Daverob” card reader and dongle to use these buttons like in a Japanese parlor. They add a nice level of excitement to the game play!
    (http://www.pinballdave.com/cre/)
    Huh - wouldn't have expected that system on a 1997-vintage machine. Makes sense now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    the slot that pays 15-1 won't open till you get a fever, then it will open for every fever round
    Yeah- that is really hard to do. I must have had 200+ chances at the dice and "no dice."

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rickyearl

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

CRヤッタルデー
    Odds listed at 1/270、1/284、1/325
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I wasn't trying to reduce my collection I'd have been all over that one...the price was very right!...grats on a great find!
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, so a lot's happened in the 3 1/2 years since I last posted here. I mean, wow. Never meant to drop this for so long, but there you have it. What did I miss?

I'm now in Houston and am finally getting the larger part of my life out of long-term storage. I now have a good place to wall-mount this machine. Was thinking of doing a variation on Ken's cabinet, but on this machine the screen components stick out a good 6 inches from the back of the machine, making it about 13 inches deep overall in the center-top part. Anyone wall-mounted a machine this thick? Does it look silly?

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rickyearl

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Side artwork or shelves can help blend it in
    Ian #UKPachinko

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. That's kind of the problem. It's hard to explain, but it would basically need to sit alone centered on a 15' long wall. I'm just trying to picture what it looks like with a 13 inch depth and if it looks bizarre from the side. It's actually a bit deeper than the bookshelves and hanging cabinets we have in other rooms.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Been a while - new aquisition

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyearl View Post
    Thanks. That's kind of the problem. It's hard to explain, but it would basically need to sit alone centered on a 15' long wall. I'm just trying to picture what it looks like with a 13 inch depth and if it looks bizarre from the side. It's actually a bit deeper than the bookshelves and hanging cabinets we have in other rooms.
    I don’t think it will look weird; but everybody has different tastes.

Checkout the pics of my modern pachinko cabinet build from a few years ago to give you an idea. These are made with 1x10’s (instead of 1x8s which I use for vintage machine cabinets). These hold the largest machine you can get and are very sturdy. (French cleat wall mount spanning 2 wall studs)

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...or-the-Penguin

Last edited by lotsoballs; 01-23-2020 at 01:10 PM.

18. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs