Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coin Mech and Reset Wires

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Coin Mech and Reset Wires

Hi all!

I recently bought two machines from someone on Craigslist. The first that I started working with, OHanabi (Large Fireworks) works wonderfully, save for a few missing light sockets, but that doesn't bother me. The second, however, is turning out to be my first real challenge.

Reno is the name of the machine. It looks like it might be an older machine, but it's hard to tell. I found this video on Youtube (for a look at the thing in action, something I have yet to accomplish):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_MTI2RoZ3c

Now to my problems. The first problem is the first thing that I noticed about the machine, and that was the bare wires (see 0004 and 0005). The reset seems to work fine (goes from annoying music to flashing ready for tokens), but something about bare wires doesn't seem right. Also, if you'll notice, the red wire is not actually attached to the board (not place for it), and it was attached to the other wires by some electrical tape (bare on both ends). It seems to set off the error music when either of the wires touches anything. Any idea to what this is supposed to be attached?

Second, when I insert tokens, they make it through the coin mechanism fine and end up in the hopper, but they don't seem to register in the machine. Any ideas as to why this might be? I've attached a few pictures of the coin mechanism with the hopes that someone might see something I missed or have any ideas what I can do. The previous owners said "THE RENO MACHINE WAS WORKING, BUT, DOESNT NOW. I AM POSITIVE IT IS SOMETHING MINOR WITH THE WIRING. COULD OF BEEN SHAKEN LOOSE WHEN WE MOVED. ANYONE WITH ANY KNOWLEGE OF THIS TYPE COULD FIX IT." So, unless they're lying, the machine has worked recently.

I've added all of the pictures that I took. If you require more, I can have them up in no time.

Thanks in advance, and to my fellow Americans, happy Independence Day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mrschmooshies

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Coin Mech and Reset Wires

from the looks of it your missing the lock assembly .the three wires that your holding go to the key reset switch that mounted on the door when the key was turned one way it opened the door . the other way it did some minor resets with that switch . the good part is that can be remedied usually the three wires are (neg the black) and (positive the red) and the (white is the switch leg ) you just need to find out what the machine wants the white wire to be high or low some are high till activated then the voltge is pulled down .others its 0 then goes high when activated . once you figure it out the machine should work .good part is the rest of the switches should work the same way so putting a meter on them and you'll get an idea what those should be to run the game . As for the tokens dropping in the hopper that shouldn't be if you have an error the selinoid should keep the tokens from going thru the mech .sounds like someone might have tried to convert this to quarters i'll have to message you privately about that .it borders on quarter conversion and they don't like talking about that in public .
    Jeff

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the quick response!

I forgot to mention that I'd taken the lock assembly off while I'm fixing up the machine. Just makes it easier than having to reach for the key every time.

Also, I see I may not have been very clear in my original post. The reset is working fine, I just don't know where those wires are supposed to end up. At this point, they're just attached to the reset and left to dangle. Only when they come in contact with something does it trigger an error. Do you have any idea where these wires are supposed to go? I haven't been able to find anything that looks like it's missing a hookup. Do they actually serve a purpose?

Second, once I've reset the machine, the tokens go through fine. The problem is that the machine doesn't seem to realize that I've put tokens into it. It happily goes along with a big fat 0 in place.

And just so you know, quarters fail to make it through, but tokens go just fine, so there wasn't any converting going on. The solenoid is in tact and functional.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if it registers the first 3 tokens and allows you to spin then there is nothing wrong with the machine. once you make your spin you can push the button above the spin knob and that will toggle the credit feature off or on. buy switching it on you will be able to store up to 50 credits and they will be displayed on the led screen labels credit.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to birdbrain

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No coins register (I have working lights behind the indicators). No spins either. I've never seen the reels spin, nor have I seen any indication that it registers the tokens that I put in it. They simply go down the coin mechanism and into the hopper (no error.. very familiar with that sound). If I get it to error, then it rejects the tokens back to the tray.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it would help if you showed the lock assy .parts that you removed .one part of that rail that mounts on the door thats turned by the lock assy goes thru the sensors on the board in picture #1 when the key is turned it goes up allowing the sensor to see light and reset the machine after a big bonus is played .if you could back the camera up a bit to show the whole door it might help. as bird brain said if your in credit mode you can put up to 50 tokens in before it trips spitting the tokens to the tray the amount of credits above 3 should show on a led display as you put them in .if its in regular mode it should do it after 3 .
    Jeff

10. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

More pictures.

I went ahead and reinstalled the lock mechanism to make it easier to reset. The first picture is just the full door, and the last two are close on the reset (one in normal position, one with me holding it in reset).

I'm beginning to suspect that those wires might not actually do anything. I'm most concerned right now about the fact that the machine doesn't register any tokens. It'll take as many as I feed, so it's absolutely not the three and spin thing. No reels spinning. It'll take the coins through the solenoid (which is functional... when on it is locked in place, when off it is nice and springy), but I think the mechanism behind it is where the problem is. Is it possible that there is a mechanism for coin recognition and then a second mechanism to actually register the coin with the machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

with the power off, reseat all the connections on the token accepter and on the side and back boards.

any connectors that are easy to reseat should be done.

most problems i have found were from poor connections somewhere.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

13. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's a badly seated connection this time around. I pulled out the coin mechanism (to get to the wires behind it) and reseated every connection I could get my hands on, and still, it doesn't want to play.

*sigh* I just want to play with all of my babies.

At least Eve and OHanabi are working beautifully...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hang in there mrschmoosies... I had a machine DOA and these guys never gave up until my machine was up and running. There is still hope!
    Dawn

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, I don't doubt that I'll walk away from all of this with a functioning machine.

I'm just impatient.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mrschmooshies View Post
    Oh, I don't doubt that I'll walk away from all of this with a functioning machine.
    Have faith my son,

Someone here will figure it out.
    My favorite color is Ham

19. The following user says "Thanks" to BigBearSteve

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok try this take a token and put it in the end of the coin shute where the sensor is and hold it there under the sensor it should cause an error for a coin mech jam . if it doesn't then your sensor is at fault .the connectors that are on this machine are sometimes faulty due to the pins inside breaking try to flex the connector a bit while holding the token under it and see if it makes connection .if not trace the wiring back to the board it plugs into and flex that connection while holding the token ,if you hear a noise or it errors out you've found the problem . If not you'll need a meter for step 2 .do you have one ? this step you need to measure voltage at the sensor its the three wire connector at the end of the coin shute with the wires that are red ,white and yellow .your lucky because this is an older machine and only has 1 sensor which makes it a prime candidate for a free play credit switch we'll discuss that later . measure the voltage between the red to yellow wires then red to white and then white to yellow and let me know what you get .as for the three wires these older machines had a box at the middle of the lower part of the door that reset the machine with a key just like the outside of the machine but it was used while serviceing the machine with the door open instead of having to use the key on the outside the wireing was just hooked in parallel with the reset switch on the door . yours doesnt apear to have one on it but the wires are long enough to reach the middle of the door so i suspect it was removed and the wires where left behind .
    Last edited by alstonj1; 07-05-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    Jeff

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Jeff: I went ahead and did like you suggested. Unfortunately, holding the token in the sensor accomplished nothing. However, with or without the token, if I flexed the connector it would error. I also noticed that the connection (from the seat to the little board) feels loose. Unfortunately, I can't really get at the back to see if it's still okay because of that black foam stuff that's glued to it. Any suggestions on how to get behind that stuff, or if it's important? I managed to get the plug out and the wires all looked in tact from that angle, but I don't know what it looks like from the other side.

I actually don't have a meter, but I'm suspecting that as this addiction grows, I'm going to need one.
    Steven
    Pachislo: Eve, Reno, and Large Fireworks
    Pachinko: Fever King II

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks a little strange to see wires soldered to the door reset sensor. I wonder if someone wasn't trying to set that up to add credits, and it is causing you problems. I have never seen a machine with hard soldered wires like that. Are those the wires that are not connected to anything on the other end?

24. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGoodBurn

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They are. Jeff suggested that they had been wired to a second reset mechanism that has since been removed from the machine. It does look like there would be space where he suggested it was.

For the record, when I found the machine, the two wires in question (and the red wire that was just taped to them) were positioned behind the coin mechanism like all of the other wires, but I still haven't been able to spot anything that looks like it might be where they would go.
    Steven

Thanks
    Thanks Received

they may just be some leftover palour wires,

I've gotten a few pachislos with wire harnesses not connected to anything and no where to connect them in the machine.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

27. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have seen this type before on older machines like miracle and my super bunny girl they just paralleled the wiring from the reset switch so they didn't have to turn the key from the outside of the door altho they could have just lifted the rail on that side of the door and done the same thing . Yes it would do you alot of good to get a meter to help figure these out .on the coin mech if you short the switch leg to the ground or the positive quickly and im fairly sure its the positive one will give you a credit .problem is you dont know which two are the power and which is the switch leg .if i had to guess it would be the red and yellow are the ones you want to short quickly like a momentary switch . heres the set up i did on bunny girl.i hid the free play switch behind the cig tray when you open it up the switch is visible other wise you cant find it .
    Last edited by alstonj1; 07-05-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    Jeff

29. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Is it possible that there is a mechanism for coin recognition and then a second mechanism to actually register the coin with the machine?" yes the shute judges the height if it isnt proper it falls into the shute to the tray if it is it passes thru to the sensor and blocks the light momentarily and is registered as a credit if its held there to long youll get a coin mech jam error . if you get an error the selinoid should let go and the arm on the selinoid should slam shut and derail all coins into the tray .

it doesnt say where your from but if you have a radio shack near you they sell a pen filled with contact solution that reverses oxidation its a bit pricey but it works very well 10 times better than contact cleaner i would use it on your connections going to your coin mech sensor.
    Last edited by alstonj1; 07-05-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Jeff

31. The following user says "Thanks" to alstonj1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have determined the cause of the problem! It is in fact the sensor (or some part of the small board). I removed the sensor from the start knob, which is virtually the same part, and attached it to the coin sensor plug. Indeed, when I run a coin through the sensors, I get a credit, and when I hold the coin in there for too long, it trips an error.

I suspect the plug seat on the sensor board is the big problem, given that it wobbles. Unfortunately, I don't know what I could do to fix this. There's also a possibility that the sensors themselves are no longer functional. I don't know if there's really any way to test this. Any thoughts on a replacement part for this? I know there must be something simpler than switching out the wires every time I want to play.

Also, I'm in Hershey, PA, and I suspect that the Radio Shack people are starting to recognize me. But I don't think that oxidation is the problem, because everything looks nice. It just looks like something knocked the plug on the sensor board loose, and since then is no longer works.

I've finally gotten to see Reno in action. That was fun. Definitely had to call in the wife for that one. We're getting closer!
    Steven

33. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mrschmooshies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast