Thread: Preventative Maintenence

pachinky

Default Preventative Maintenence

I have a vintage Nishijin Super DX pachinko machine and would like some preventative maint. tips. Especially concerning the ball flipper. How often should it be cared for and how do you care for it? Mine works good now, but I want to keep it that way. Also, how does one repair the rubber ball stop at the top corner of the machine when it becomes worn out? The help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Preventative Maintenence

As long as everything on the vintage machine works well now, I wouldn't think that you need to do much of anything to it. In other words, don't look for problems where there ain't any.

pachinky

Slotter: I appreciate the reply. If I would take your advice on let's say a car then Any moving parts would not need to be lubricated until there was a problem. My philosophy is to keep things maintained so there are no problems. My main area of concern is the bearings in the flipper. If anyone has any advice on how often and what to use and even how to perform this lubrication I would love to know and greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dear chinkpo,

About the only lubrication you can do is from the back of the machine. Look at what moves on the back when the lever is flipped. A very light shot of WD40 at the lever arm sleeve should be all you need. Wipe off excess to prevent dust accumulation.

By the way, what does your forum name stand for?
    Dennis

I have a passion for Pachinko!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I dunno...

Guess the difference between the pachinko and a car is that the vintage pachinko is basically quite simple and was manufactured to be used 24/7 in a parlor and not need maintenance. I bought my now vintage Nishijin back in the mid-70s and have used it a lot since then over the years -- but, not even CLOSE to how much it was designed to be used. Its shooter lever is still just as tight and works exactly the same as it did when I bought the machine those 30 years ago. I doubt if it will ever need any maintenance.

Those are my thoughts, but you sure could do as Bilko44 suggested and give it a shot of WD-40.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

pachinky

Bilko44: I appreciate the advice on the WD40. Sounds logical. The friction that the bearings generate after continuous play led me to have some concern about long term wear and tear similar to the wheel bearings of a car. I wasn't sure if there was a special lubricant that was used in the parlors or if WD40 was ok. Slotter: I appreciate the insight on the 24/7 play. It is amazing the design on these machines and how smooth they do operate. I don't like to do any more work than needed but with parts being difficult to find I thought I would ask and take precautions. Bilko44: I hope I don't disappoint about my forum name. It was what came to mind when asked. The other thought was ochinkpo. Just a play on the word.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bilko44: I hope I don't disappoint about my forum name. It was what came to mind when asked. The other thought was ochinkpo. Just a play on the word.
    That's interesting. I thought it was something like that. I almost chose "ochinkpa" but opted for the TV character Phil Silvers made famous, Sgt Bilko.
    Dennis

I have a passion for Pachinko!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A 3 in 1 oil might be fine as well.
    Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you've seen the character Phil Silver's played and it wasn't from watching "TV Land", then you're too damn old! Which unfortunately makes me a member..
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Preventative Maintenence

i remember when phil silver's was a child star!!!!
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Utopia1dc

I remember watching the show as a child. Was the name of the show Sgt. Bilko, or just the name of the main character? Was this the show where they were always playing cards? That's about all I remember.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Used axle grease on mine.put some in an old hypodermic and gave an a small shot of grease

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mike v View Post
    Used axle grease on mine.put some in an old hypodermic and gave an a small shot of grease
    kind of an old thread..

wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mike v View Post

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS