Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Nishijin Model B

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Interesting Nishijin Model B

I just picked this up with a few others for a really good price. I'm guessing from the sticker that it was manufactured around 1975 or 1976.

The Front:

The theme would appear to be what it says in the center, AMERICA. The center feature has a cowboy on a bucking bronco, a Native American head with a full feathered headdress and a Liberty Bell. Also, two of the pockets look like they're depicting New York city as it looks like the Empire State Building on the left side of the pocket.

The background also stays with the theme as there is an American flag with USA above it, a Native American on horseback, a teepee with an Arizona desert setting, a chuckwagon and horses as well as the Statue of Liberty.

The background is badly water stained but is an excellent candidate for a scan and Photoshop, with all the graphics and colours it would look awesome. Some of the plastics need a paint touchup or repainting but nothing too serious. All in all this will be a stunning game once restored.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpgIMG_0010.jpgIMG_0012.jpgIMG_0013.jpgIMG_0014.jpgIMG_0015.jpg

More info and photos to follow.

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Interesting Nishijin Model B

The Back:

The game has electronics but isn't built like a Nishijin Model B with electronics. Games like a Power Flash, Circuit Racer, UFO, etc. have the extra door on the back to get at the solenoids and mechanisms, this one doesn't, instead the back plastics are attached the same way as a standard Model B. The circuit board behind the plastics looks like a light board that lights up various playfield lights, like the numbers 1 to 6 and has connections from the solenoid that opens and closes the Native American head as well as all the micro switches that are hidden. It also has an on and off rocker switch.

It looks like there was a light and solenoid circuit control board where the white plastic part with the pegs and the circuit board edge connector are, which is missing. There's also a sheet metal assembly above that will need some parts removal to further investigate what it was for.

I thought I had seen one of these on PachiTalk but can't seem to find it now and a search on the Internet didn't turn up anything. Does anyone have one of these games that was or is going to be parted out? I'm interested in either purchasing the missing circuit board or getting photos of it so it can be reproduced.

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0022.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0030.jpgIMG_0032.jpg

4. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

take a look at this one... tryed to repost pics but i can seem to find them again???

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...a-machine.html
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    take a look at this one... tryed to repost pics but i can seem to find them again???

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...a-machine.html
    Thanks for the reply. That fish theme is another neat machine and built like a Power Flash, UFO and Circuit Racer with the extra layer that opens up. The America one has circuitry that, for the most part, is enclosed and built like a regular Model B with the back mechanism stapled on and no extra layer to open up.

The machine seems to be complete, except for the circuit board, so I'd like to get one from a machine that is too far gone to repair or restore or photos of the board to replicate it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by whitedawg View Post
    The machine seems to be complete, except for the circuit board, so I'd like to get...photos of the board to replicate it.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

153.jpg154.jpg151.jpg152.jpg150.jpg157.jpg158.jpg

These are from my Train machine. It has a very similar board setup. The green side pockets don't do anything, there is no switch in them. But there is a solenoid for the center feature.

I got this machine loose at the moment so if you need some better pictures I can get them. The only problem with the board on mine is that it is cracked in half. But I should be able to fix that.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 10-28-2013 at 11:09 PM.

100 machines and counting...

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive.

153.jpg154.jpg151.jpg152.jpg150.jpg157.jpg158.jpg

These are from my Train machine. It has a very similar board setup. The green side pockets don't do anything, there is no switch in them. But there is a solenoid for the center feature.

I got this machine loose at the moment so if you need some better pictures I can get them. The only problem with the board on mine is that it is cracked in half. But I should be able to fix that.
    Nice looking machine with the railroad center feature and railroad related background, I'll be keeping my eyes open for one of those as I'm into Model Railroading. It looks like yours is just as water stained as mine but with the railroad graphics it would look awesome redone. Both machines must have been made around the same time as the front parts and playfield decorative plastics are the same as well as the butterflies on the tulips.

I don't think the pockets with New York on them have any switches on my machine either and like yours there is a solenoid to operate the center feature.

Those old circuit boards are pretty simple and have fairly large traces so repairing yours shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you for the offer of more photos, that would be very much appreciated, if it's not too much trouble. The ideal situation would be to get what's missing off mine from a scrapped machine but any photos I can get from machines of this vintage will certainly help. The six numbers across the top of the cowboy light up, probably to open up the center feature once they're all lit, much like the lights in the center of a Circuit Racer. I have a Circuit Racer which at the moment is stored elsewhere but between it and any photos I can get hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.
    Last edited by whitedawg; 10-29-2013 at 04:43 AM.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They may be more different than you think. Max's board connects through an edge connector. Whitedog's through pins on the board. The circuitry may be different as well. Good news is, neither board should be too difficult to replicate.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    They may be more different than you think. Max's board connects through an edge connector. Whitedog's through pins on the board. The circuitry may be different as well. Good news is, neither board should be too difficult to replicate.
    There shouldn't be much difference from edge connector to pins, just a different way to mount the connectors but the circuitry would definitely be different because of the different light arrangements.

Circuit boards on Pachinkos from this era seem to be pretty basic using small plastic cased relays, larger open relays, capacitors, resistors and diodes. Fast forward a couple of years and then you start seeing integrated circuits. The Nishijin Model C Power Roulette I have, for example, has a circuit board with the lights mounted on it, much like the America one and possibly Max's, and a sequencing board with IC's and other components to control the lights, which replaces the relay board.

I like games from this era, like Circuit Racer, Max's Train one and my America one, as they had nice graphics on the backgrounds that actually went with the center feature themes. The simple circuitry also added to the visual and physical playing experience of the machine. If anyone else knows of other games from this era with simple electronics and nice backgrounds with matching center features then please let me know.
    Last edited by whitedawg; 10-29-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If anyone else knows of other games from this era with simple electronics and nice backgrounds with matching center features then please let me know.
    Nishijin Power UFO.

2356.jpg2429.jpg2428.jpg

Take a look at the Nishijin Catalog I made. pachinkoboy.com - Nishijin Vintage Machine Catalog

There are some neat machines in there. The one I wish I had more pics of is the Tele-Pachi Man. I will have to add yours to it now I guess.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

{QUOTE=mxfaiman}I will have to add yours to it now I guess.{/QUOTE}

Great catalogue and there are a lot of good looking machines in it. The Tele-Pachi Man is interesting with the LCD screen. If you want to add the America one to your catalogue and need anymore photos let me know what angles and resolution.

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I'll be, I just brought home another America themed Pachinko, the second one I've ever seen. This one is in worse shape than the first one I picked up, broken front tray, a thick layer of nicotine and considerably more than the first one cost me, but the reason I bought it was because the circuit board was there.
    IMG_0030.jpgIMG_0029.jpg
    This wouldn't have been as easy to replicate as I originally thought. There are relays and diodes which aren't a problem but the problem is the motor driven wiper unit and cam operated micro switches. I've never seen an electromechanical wiper unit used on a Pachinko machine. Here's a few photos before some cleaning:
    IMG_0031.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0034.jpgIMG_0042.jpg
    And some photos after a bit of a cleaning:
    IMG_0052 - Cleaned - Cleaned.jpgIMG_0049 - Cleaned.jpgIMG_0054 - Cleaned.jpg
    The wiper circuit board has a broken corner but it fits back together perfectly and will be an easy repair. I also checked everything with a multimeter and all is good. I'm going to make a schematic of the wiper assembly and the board it hooks to as I believe it can be replicated using modern electronics.

Here goes the no grease for lubrication theory as the wiper board contacts need it to help eliminate arcing and wear.

Thanks again to Max for the extra photos of his Railway themed Pachinko as I seriously didn't expect to find another America one.

20. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow. I'm amazed you were able to find another one. (and quickly I might add.) That circuit is quite different from the one on my railway machine.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Wow. I'm amazed you were able to find another one. (and quickly I might add.) That circuit is quite different from the one on my railway machine.
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked on Craigslist and saw it. I'd never seen this theme before and didn't think I'd ever see a second one. About an hour and a half drive each way but well worth it. The only other place I've ever seen these old electromechanical wiper units are on the old electromechanical Pinball machines and Arcade games, never on a Pachinko.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So glad you found another one! Pretty amazing actually! I would not have expected it. I can only imagine how much you negotiated and justified cost in your mind when you were buying it. And I understand! Getting the circuit board was paramount, even if the rest of the machine becomes spare parts!

26. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Circuit boards on Pachinkos from this era seem to be pretty basic using small plastic cased relays, larger open relays, capacitors, resistors and diodes. If anyone else knows of other games from this era with simple electronics and nice backgrounds with matching center features then please let me know.
    You have probably seen this style before...model A electric 022.jpg Known as a Kan-Less. It unusual, because it came after the model B's, used extensive amounts of plastic, and resurrected the model A platform, using an electric motor to lift balls to the lower tray! model A electric 020.jpgNot sure why, because traditionally the tray was lower than the drain hole. Maybe it was to make room for the electric circuits. The seesaw reset is operated by a solenoid.model A electric 016.jpg The jackpot tray is activated by a solenoid as well model A electric 017.jpg model A electric 018.jpg The 1st pic shows the seesaw better, the 2nd is without the tape holding the broken circuit board on. The circuit board was broken in two, and someone did an adequate job of fixing it...not a GOOD job...but it works! All the electronics are in the lower half. model A electric 021.jpg Pretty simple electronics, just a couple of relays, some diodes, capacitors and resistors. Plus switches and solenoids. I am not thrilled with the theme of the playfield, Cowboys and Indians.model A electric 008.jpgmodel A electric 007.jpgmodel A electric 006.jpg But I can live with it. I find it a very interesting machine, although I don't understand why it was made this way.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 11-19-2013 at 01:01 AM.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've ever seen these old electromechanical wiper units are on the old electromechanical Pinball machines and Arcade games, never on a Pachinko.
    quite common on allot of ArrangeBall machines
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I never expected to find another one so when I did it was a must have. I like the old school electromechanical versus solid state because you can physically see what's going on whereas you can't with IC's.

The Kan-Less machine looks interesting and would be something that would intrigue me as well as Arrange Ball machines.

32. The following user says "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd be curious to see the schematic for the board and to know what its function is.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    I'd be curious to see the schematic for the board and to know what its function is.
    There's another board the wiper unit board hooks to that has lights on it, behind all the back plastics. At the top of the playing field there's a strip with the numbers 1 to 6 which has lights behind each number and there may be other lights around the center feature as well but I won't know for certain until the back of the machine is taken apart. From what I can see through the clear plastics on the back there's a micro switch for most if not all pocket and tulip ball pathways and a solenoid to open the center feature. There also appears to be an electrical connection at the center feature itself. The back isn't built like a Power Flash, Circuit Racer, etc. as there is no extra layer to open for access to the board, switches and solenoid, it's put together like a standard Model B machine. Once I take it apart and trace where everything goes I'll make a drawing of everything electrical associated with both boards and post it here along with more information.

35. The following user says "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have one of these America theme machines. I'm moving so cleaning out my stuff. Does this have any value? It works and I will put it on Craigslist. Any suggestions on price?

Thanks
    Mike Z

37. The following user says "Thanks" to Mikez

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast