Thread: Mechanics of the Jackpot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Mechanics of the Jackpot

I'm working on my first machine (a 1975 model 4200, model B, “Power Flash Thunderbird”, see my photo). With no prior Pachinko experience I have been watching numerous instructional videos on Youtube which have been quite helpful. But, as a noob, I'm a bit confused about the mechanics of the "Jackpot" function particularly for my machine. It's easy for the narrators in these videos to glance over items that are obvious to them but not me and offer no explanation. My specific questions relating to the Jackpot function are:

~ How does one know which front panel ball slots are considered the Jackpot ball slots?
    ~ Do all machines have different locations and number of the Jackpot ball slots? In one video the author specifically points to and identifies 5 ball slots that are Jackpot slots on his machine.
    ~ Is the Jackpot function always activated with only one single ball going into an appropriate Jackpot ball slot?
    ~ When the Jackpot function is activated how many balls are supposed to be dropped out to the player?
    ~ In addition to pre-loading balls in the main upper reservoir-hopper (in the back) prior to play, is there also a separate dedicated Jackpot ball hopper that needs to be pre-loaded as well?
    ~ How does one manually test and determine if the Jackpot function is working correctly? Can this be done while the front glass is open and a ball is manually inserted into a Jackpot slot?

My apologies to the rebuild experts out there if the answers to my questions are obvious. I'm here to learn and to be able to ask questions.
    Thanks.
    Eddie

Pachinko Power Flash Front.jpg

2. The following user says "Thanks" to N2TE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Mechanics of the Jackpot

There are many experts on this website--I am not one of them. But I think I can answer most of your questions.

All the "pockets" are jackpot ball slots with the exception of the oblong hole at the very bottom of the playfield. You will immediately notice that some of these pockets open up when a ball enters, making it easier to score additional jackpots. These are "tulips."

Most machines have very similar locations for jackpot pockets. Many have the same number of pockets. The machine you pictured has more than most.

Only one ball is required to trigger a jackpot, in any jackpot pocket.

All the machines I have pay out 15 balls, although there are some that pay 13. Some machines may pay out 14 plus the ball that was shot into the jackpot pocket. There may be others that pay different amounts. Any jackpot should pay the same amount on the same machine, unless there is a malfunction, regardless of which pocket the winning ball entered.

You should only have to fill the top hopper. The top hopper should automatically load the jackpot mechanism--you should not have to intervene in this regard unless there is a malfunction.

You can test the jackpot function by manually inserting a ball into a jackpot pocket with the glass open, as you have suggested.

That's a pretty nice machine that you have pictured there.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you! Great information. Much appreciated. So on ANY machine a Tulip pocket of any sort is in fact a Jackpot pocket. Correct? And on the unit that I have, is the fancy whizbang Thunderbird looking pocket in the upper center of the playing field also considered a Jackpot pocket? I'm going to go and try manually dropping a ball in each tulip in a bit and see what happens.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to N2TE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Every tulip should pay a jackpot. I would think the center feature you are referring to should also pay a jackpot. It will probably also open some of the tulips. Many center attractions do nifty, eye catching things--I always gravitate toward machines with interesting mechanical features, particularly in the center attraction.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The thunderbird center has a couple funtions. Each side has a switch under the little wing looking things. This switch should open all tulips on that side. The center hole in center feature has a different switch that will open all tulips. A neat item on the power flash is the joker tulips which by solenoid will close all tulips on that side when you hit the joker.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

PowerFlash is quite different than youraverage vintage machine. It requires electricity to play. To properly work, you will need a center tap transformer. /www.ebay.com/itm/New-Radio-Shack-25-2-V-AC-2-amp-power-supply-cat-no-273-1512B/253778252142?hash=item3b165cd16e%3Ag%3A7UAAAOSwuMNbWfNe It has 3 wires. Two yellow, and one black. When either yellow is used with the black wire, it produces about 12 volts. When both yellows are used, it produces about 24 volts. The 12 volts is used for the lights, and the 24 volts is used for the solenoids. Odd! Seems I can't find pics of my PowerFlash on my computer. I'll have to copy and paste from the thread I started on it: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...werflash+worth This always produces GIANT pics for some reason. The 4 rectangle boxes at the top with a lever on each one are the solenoids. There are 2 micro switches in the center feature. If the ball falls down the left side, the 3 orange tulips on the left will open. Ditto for the right. This makes it seem impossible to not hit several jackpots in a row...RIGHT? WRONG!!! Almost without fail...the 1st shot after the tulips open, the very next shot will fall into a yellow "joker" pocket! All the orange tulips that are open on the same side as the joker will close when the joker is hit! It is like they looked for the place the ball would most likely fall to put in the joker. But hey, you still get 15 balls for hitting it!
    PowerFlash is a regular Model B Nishijin machine with a door that encloses the electrical workings. There are 3 wingnuts to access this area. The top one can be seen in the pic above, the shiny metal plate to the left side has a wingnut. At the bottom, there is a wingnut on each side of the lower ball funnel. Yours wont have the red wires on it. I added a cheat switch under the lower tray. When pressed, the cheat switch opens all orange tulips...but of course, the next 2 shots will hit jokers, and they will all be closed again!
    You should have a brown wire that resembles a lampcord hanging from the fusebox. This would be where the 2 yellow wires connect to. This is it...the one that goes to the lower left of the pic. A yellow and black wire goes to the orange and white thumbscrews. IF YOU CONNECT 120 VOLTS TO THE BROWN WIRES YOU WILL BURN OUT THE DIODES!!! Just thought I would make that clear. Brown wires 24VAC...thumb screws 12VAC (or DC, lights don't care). Took me some trial and error to find a good place for the transformer. Remember, you need room for a catch basin for all the lost balls. ran the wires up to the fusebox. There are 2 extra red wires (I only had one color of wire to work with) that go behind the wood door are for the cheat switch.
    Very interesting machine. Has a learning curve...even if familiar with vintage pachinko machines. Therefore you will have more questions...feel free to ask at anytime. If you do need a transformer, there is a current eBay link above. That is the cheapest one I could find on the 'bay for a quick glance...maybe Amazon, or somewhere else has a better price. That price sounds about right.Please post some more pics, so we can see how nice it is!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 07-28-2018 at 07:55 PM.

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wow, what a cool looking machine. Love the unique layout

16. The following user says "Thanks" to cait001

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Mechanics of the Jackpot

Some people call your machine the "Thunderbird" Powerflash. (As opposed to the so called "Little China Man" Powerflash)

NISHIJIN Power Flash with Game Playfield.jpg

In addition to the top center pocket and center feature pocket; there are two oval shaped slots near the top that are WIN pockets.

Thunderbird LEDs.jpg

Also, the bottom center rotating thing is a WIN pocket.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent information. THANK YOU! I will use to troubleshoot. When I manually drop a ball in any tulip opening no jackpot is dispensed. Other tulip flipper arms DO move with dropping a ball in the center thunderbird opening. So I'm assuming that the solenoids are working properly. But no dispensing of jackpot balls.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You must have a working transformer. When the solenoids open or close, all (or half, depending on a center hit or not) will snap shut, or open with zeal! When a ball is dropped into the top tulip, it will open the closed tulips mechanically as opposed to electrically. Each one opens (calmly) as the ball rolls down past it. Will be much quieter than when electrically opened.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    You must have a working transformer. When the solenoids open or close, all (or half, depending on a center hit or not) will snap shut, or open with zeal! When a ball is dropped into the top tulip, it will open the closed tulips mechanically as opposed to electrically. Each one opens (calmly) as the ball rolls down past it. Will be much quieter than when electrically opened.
    My transformer is working fine. The solenoids in my unit snap shut and open with plenty of zeal. The tulips correspondingly open and close as required. However no balls emerge when a ball drops into any of the tulips or the thunderbird openings. So I'm trying to figure out exactly how the jackpot mechanical assembly itself functions. Something is preventing the dispensing of jackpot balls. That's my focus right now. What specifically triggers the jackpot chute to open in that assembly? There's a disconnect somewhere. I'm sure I'll find it. It's just being elusive. Can the jackpot assembly be manually tested? When I was out in my shop earlier I couldn't tell how to open the jackpot assembly in order to give it a closer look.

I have a few other questions that I'll hold for the moment. This particular problem is puzzling. All the comments and suggestions are appreciated and helpful. Onward.
    Ed

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The jackpot mechanism is a regular model B.
    Is the reward tray full? Do you have the see saw reset?

More pictures of the back of your machine would be helpful

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The payout works the same as all model B's. You must have enough balls in the upper hopper to engage the 2 ball dump fingers. The seesaw must be in the correct position to accept a winning ball. A winning ball will pass through the seesaw, ride the spoon down which in turn releases a 15 ball payout.

A full back pic may help us see what is happening. Does the back look modified at all? Where does the ball go when you put it in a tulip?

Thanks Carl...just beat me
    Last edited by Tink; 07-30-2018 at 09:22 AM.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pictures please.. more pictures
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The jackpot can be manually tested...but there are several anti cheat devices that must be manually bypassed. Not that difficult once you know how...not easy to describe. Must have at least enough balls to reach the upper tray. Watch this video from Mopar. If you haven't seen it yet, it will help you understand what is going on. It is a complex mechanism...but pretty simple to understand. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...-Model-B-Video
    It is great that the electrical parts function! That is often the biggest hurdle. So many have been plugged into 120VAC, blow the diodes, then sell it because they can't get it to work. This thread made me pull out my PowerFlash, dust it off and play a few rounds. So, I have a ready refrence for pics if you run into problems.
    Once you watch the video, and know what to look for...You will konw what to take pics of. Someone will see what the problem is. Although a PowerFlash us not that common, the back is simply a Model B Nishijin. The most common pachinko style in America! That means MANY people understand how it works. You should be fixed in no time!

28. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like the jackpot payout dispensing function is working now. The culprit was a plastic cover piece that was cracked and bent slightly, enough to bind up the dump-balls linkage to some degree. I noticed it when I went to clear out the all the balls. I re-glued the plastic cover straight and when I replaced this cover piece the jackpot dispensing function began to work. So I think it's mission accomplished. Now it's time to play. Many thanks to those who offered suggestions.
    Pachinko Cracked piece.jpg

30. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to N2TE