• Re-chrome

7 50.00%
  • Powder coating

7 50.00%

Thread: Rusty frames???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Rusty frames???

I have restored many machines that required a lot of buffing to get the rust off the chrome frame and the front play plate. I think that's what it's called, it's the plate the play tray is mounted to. I have inquired about getting them re-chromed, but due to EPA regulations there is only one place left in town that does re-chroming. He wanted $175.00 to re-do the frame and plate on one machine. I also checked into getting the same items powder-coated, and the price I was quoted was $10 for both pieces. But the paint doesn't come in chrome, the best I could do would be silver paint. I could also have it done in any other color for the same price. I don't feel like re-chroming an "average" machine would be worth it, it would be a lot harder to recoupe the investment. However, I would consider re-chroming a popular machine, and powder-coating less popular machines. So I would like your opinions on which would be better to do on frames that are too rusty to polish out.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Rusty frames???

There is a new automotive paint out that looks like chrome.I don't know the brand name but I am sure an auto paint supply would know of it. It's a new custom trick paint,that is used with candy clear paints. just a thought.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

3. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You have to sand the parts or sandblast them to get it to stick.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If not a popular / valuable or very old machine, I think powdercoating is a viable option. Could look very good if the right color is chosen. When you pull the trigger, post pics!

6. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In my opinion, if the frame and front plate are that rusty and far gone, then I would canniblize another machine to find a replacement. I cannot justify the expense of re-chroming the parts on an average machine, and the look of powder coating is a "near miss" in my book (unless you were customizing the entire machine). I agree that if the machine were something special and warranted the expense, then I probably wouldn't have an issue with paying for the rechrome.
    Just my two cents worth.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

whilst I've always loved the look of chrome, I think in relation to this project, the costs are just far too much, powder coating sounds like an affordable and acceptable alternative and I'm sure will give a great finish

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with Jacks. I'd much rather have the look of chrome than a colored frame so I'd just try and find a replacement in good shape. I've seen a few machines here and there with painted frames and although the paint job was done right, overall it just didn't look good.
    Yose mentioned chrome auto paint and though I'm no expert, I have done a fair amount of research on auto and hobby chrome paints and have used a couple. In general, the look of chrome via paint is not really possible as I've recently learned but some finishes come fairly close. It requires lots of prep work and certain equipment, however. The problem with these finishes is that they don't wear well at all so a clearcoat is the obvious choice but that diminishes the shine significantly and it ends up looking more like silver.
    I redid a coin insert strip on a Satomi with chrome paint using an airbrush. The original surface's chrome was badly worn from tokens being deposited. Anyway, the finish turned out great but after a few hundred games (I had the machine in a public place) the paint was starting to wear.
    I did the same finish on my Jan Ball's lower marquee and it's held up very well but that part rarely gets touched.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Add me to the consensus with Jacks and Emmadog. I tried a few options for frames and stuff, and they had the same results that I did. I have had one frame rechromed, but that was on a Marudai New prince, a rather difficult machine to find. If you have a common machine you are better off finding a clunker on craigslist with decent chrome and parting out the rest of it.

There is no way to get the look of chrome unless you have it chromed, that's just the way it works.

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

William I'm in the same situation you are so what ever you get as your answer please post or pm me.

I have probably close to 40 machines with bad chrome on them. And I have always thought about powder coating or painting them. Actually I'm planning on painting the front plate on my nishijin bowling (it will be a while before I get around to that). There are just massive pits in it that can't be save and for us to rechrome the frame it costs close to $250. So powder coating looks to be a better solution to me. plus it brings more enjoyment to the machine with all the colors.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I painted a destroyed frame on a $10 machine with "chrome" rattle can spray paint frome the autostore. It came out looking a little more like dull machined aluminum, however, it somewhat matched the potmetal tray. It looked OK. I ended up giving the machine away, where it's being used by kids to play. All that being said, for a machine I'd want to keep in my collection (which I'm trying to size-limit, somewhat unsuccessfully) I'd want to cannibalize a frame from another machine... chrome is chrome (and I'm too cheap to pay for a rechrome... not sure what I'd do for a Daichi.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to ACMech