Thread: Vintage Referb Question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Referb Question

Well since I was criticized for not posting a warning on the pachinkos being trashed…

Warning images in this post not suitable for sensitive viewers. Dismantled Vintage Machine pictured.

Some of the covers were held down with staples and I had to replace them with screws. http://home.comcast.net/~chmer01//Pa.../Derby011a.jpg

After removing all of the hardware I was shocked to see that the ball guides were also stapled down. You can see them in the second photo circled in yellow. These ball guides have holes for screws (circled in blue). http://home.comcast.net/~chmer01//Pa.../Derby092a.jpg

I was wondering should I also pull all these staples out and replace them with screws. What have other here done?

As always thank you for your input.

Eric C.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Referb Question

I think thats how they were assembled in the older days. a purist would leave them in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for your own personal use I don't think it would matter that much.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ld is right. I say If it aint broke don't work on it!
    If disassembling the machine by all means replace with the correct screw, loo long would be worse than a staple. 1/2 Rh wood screws is good for 3/4 vintage cells. shorter will work fine. FYI Drywall screws are usually too long and the wrong type of head (technically a bugle head)
    Cheers,
    Mike G
    Mikes Woodshop click on my game room link at bottom of page

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Speaking of a purist thing. I took my vintage and fixed the bulbs to burn all the time in most of the areas where they are only supposed to glow occasionally on winning. I left some alone (like the empty ball light) but most glow all the time and my vintage holds its own with the newer and brighter machines around it.

'Tis a thing of beauty.

And, yes, it is on a transformer.

pachinko.jpg

PICT1371 (Small).JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow semi cyclic Nishijin nice! super DX? with and without cabinet photos of the same I presume. looks better with IMHO.
    ok whats with the number ball on the payout hopper? I see you put a light in it.
    Cheers,
    Mike G

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slothappy144
    Ld is right. I say If it aint broke don't work on it!
    If disassembling the machine by all means replace with the correct screw, loo long would be worse than a staple. 1/2 Rh wood screws is good for 3/4 vintage cells. shorter will work fine. FYI Drywall screws are usually too long and the wrong type of head (technically a bugle head)
    I was asking because I thought it might make it easier to clean the back wood if I removed the ball tracks. Any time I have tried to replace staples I could never get them as flat as they were before unless I took a hammer to them. I know to be carefull with the screws lenth. For the back case screws that need to be replaced or added in place of staples on the back I usually use a #4 3/8" pan head phillips metal screw. I found it matches the closest to what was used. The covers that run along the right side that are held in with long nails I found can be easily replaced with #6 1-1/2" pan head phillips metal screw. I had to drill out a little of the hole in the plastic but still leave enough to leave a grove without splitting the plastic. When I have to replace the screw on the chrome frame I use a #4 5/8" flat head phillips wood screw.

Quote Originally Posted by slotter
    Speaking of a purist thing. I took my vintage and fixed the bulbs to burn all the time in most of the areas where they are only supposed to glow occasionally on winning. I left some alone (like the empty ball light) but most glow all the time and my vintage holds its own with the newer and brighter machines around it.
    That sound cool. I like to add an additional Jackpot light next to the upper left out of ball light and I add an out of ball light behind the ball launch lever. Since I don't have any wired to be on all the time I till run it from a 9v battery.

Eric C.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

good choices! I leave th enail if possible, the ones in my case are pre drilled and are more pins than nails, they are tight but (my) fingers can pull them and they go back without tools.
    Be sure to post your Pictures of the in process as well as the finished unit!!
    Cheers,
    Mike G

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by slothappy144
    Be sure to post your Pictures of the in process as well as the finished unit!!
    Sorry I read this and could not stop laughing. I currently have 96 photos taking up over 60 meg of space and that is just the photos I took disassembling the machine. After I'm done with it I'll pick some of the worst and best and post them for you.

Eric C.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to chmer01

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yay! We love pictures!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

11. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've done it both ways, if the staples are rusty or the ball track extremly dirty I pull them and replace with #4 3/8" pan heads, if there are no problems with the staples of the tracks I have left them in.

Before I remove any staples that I'm going to replace with screws I drill a small pilot hole so the parts will be in the same place when I put it back.

I also take alot of pictures of the disassembly so I can put the machine back together right.
    Jim
    Yellow Cab, Pink Panther, Thunderbirds, Star War, 4 Single Shots, 18 Vintage Machines plus 6 assorted Modern Machines and a Gauntlet Arcade Machine

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jwegger