Thread: Nishijin Super DX identification/electrical questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin Super DX identification/electrical questions

Hi guys, I just got this machine from a friend to either buy from or sell for them. I think it looks super cool and would look good in my recording studio but figured I'd ask a few questions first. She says it should run, but hasn't used it in forever.

1: Electrical. I've read online a 9V battery should work/last a while, but I see a mention of 24V on the back as well (pictured). I'm also not sure which size fuse this needs or if I should just bypass it if running off battery not a wall wart (though at some point I'd like to have it on plug power eventually). Is this an electromechanical one? It certainly seems it would need power just to function, but I read somewhere there were only 3 models and Super DX wasn't one.

2: Identification/Valuation. I see lots of similar units on Ebay for $100-200 and assume this is a pretty standard Super DX All15 model, but wanted to make sure. I can't find pics of any online with similar cowboys. Is there a way to tell the exact year/model?

3: There's 3 balls included (2 are stuck in ramps in the back, I assume with power they'll be released somehow?) Is Ebay the best place to buy new balls? I also don't have the key to open it, will I need one/are they readily available?

4: Are the feet original? If I was to wall mount it should I remove them, or just build a shelf for it and secure the top to the wall?

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to get this thing running and try it out.
    1 - pachinko.jpg2 - cowboy.jpg3 - electrical.jpg4 - japanese.jpg5 - connectors.jpg6 - Back .jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to rob4584

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin Super DX identification/electrical questions

Hello, and welcome.

I can help with a few of these.

1) Most vintages work well on 9volt, the labels shows 10, this is for the lights for low ball and award payout. Only the special electrics need the dual voltage.
    I do not see any circuit board or solenoids in the picture to indicate you would need the 24 Volt.
    Fuses @ 2 amp is sufficient.

2) Check this link for lots of great information on dating the unit, I would guestimate late 70's. Value is a very hard call, basically whatever someone is willing to pay.
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...-web-site.html

3) These machines are gravity, stuck balls are often caused by dirt in the tacks. Ebay is a good source for the balls, you'd want 500 or so for a fair play. Very few have keys. Easily opened by the back.

4) Feet are not original, added for stability for table top use. I add similar type feet to all mine.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk.
    1. Lights should run on 9-12 volts. I don't see any other electrical components on this machine that would need a transformer to provide 24 volts

2. machine is late 70's Nishijin model C. Most did not have an actual name unless they were a special model like the powerflash. Most machines listed on eBay are not priced at market value. Sellers don't know what they have so they list them as rare and slap a big price tag on them. They typically don't sell for those prices unless you get lucky and some guy that doesn't know market value buys your machine. You can list at 200 and see if you get interest, but my guess is you'll get $60-100 for it.

3. eBay will be your best place for balls. You need 500-1000 depending on how much shuffling of balls from front to back you want to do.

4. This machine would have been wall mounted I the parlor. The feet were likely added by the US retailer or a previous owner.

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I'll pick up a wall wart this week and give it a shot. Oddly enough it makes me happy that it's less valuable since I'd prefer to keep it as a distraction/art piece.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to rob4584

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great looking machine ! WELCOME TO PACHITALK!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Gmwd

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like you got your questions answered..

nice clean machine would be a great first machine.. as for balls i would recommend geting a 1000.. the back hopper will hold that many so its a perfect amount

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

14. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I plugged it in, and the All15 lit up, but the thing above the lever still says wait, and I can't figure out how to get things started. I've only got the one ball not in the machine, but want to make sure it's working before getting new balls.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by rob4584 View Post
    So I plugged it in, and the All15 lit up, but the thing above the lever still says wait, and I can't figure out how to get things started. I've only got the one ball not in the machine, but want to make sure it's working before getting new balls.
    You need balls in the machine to find out if it works. It is telling you to wait because it doesn't have enough balls to pay out the jackpot. Of course, you can always rig the linkage so that it thinks there are balls, but it's impossible to fully test if you only have one ball. If you don't want to invest $30 in balls then maybe there is a member near you that you can meet and test the machine with?

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks! I was wondering if this might be the case. Everything seems to look in good shape/function otherwise so I'll go ahead and get balls, just didn't want to find out after the fact that there's still an issue.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    You need balls in the machine to find out if it works. It is telling you to wait because it doesn't have enough balls to pay out the jackpot. Of course, you can always rig the linkage so that it thinks there are balls, but it's impossible to fully test if you only have one ball. If you don't want to invest $30 in balls then maybe there is a member near you that you can meet and test the machine with?

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead