Thread: Sankyo Pachinko - First Post

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo Pachinko - First Post

Hello All,

Where should I start... My parents love to attend auctions and they also knew that I had been wanting to get a pinball machine for my family room. They came across this pachinko machine and bought it for me (I think for more of a joke than anything). Well with me loving everything mechanical, I had to get it fixed up.

I did a web search for information on pachinko machines (I had never even seen one before this) and found this site and the pachinkoman web site. I bought his DVDs (which was a big help to put everything back together). I watched them and started my work. For some reason I didnt take a pre clean cell photo but I have some pre clean photos of the back. I posted these on my website so they would come across a bit bigger.

http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...re%20Clean.jpg
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...20Back%201.jpg
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...20Back%202.jpg
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...re%20Clean.jpg

After my parents bought this, a guy came over to talk to them that used to own it. I guess he had once owned a bar and this was in it. I think he was telling the truth because the thick layer of black stuff on the inside back looked like tar from smoking. About 50 spiders also called this machine home.

I took everything apart and I noticed two things right off the bat. I am missing the cover to my jackpot assembly and the plastic post for one of my bells was broken in 3 parts. Balls were also balls jammed behind the bell where it had broken off and moved.

http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...ot%20Cover.jpg
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...ken%20Bell.jpg
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...20Bell%202.jpg

I am hoping the missing jackpot cover will not be a big deal. Does anyone know? I super glued the three broken pieces of the post back together and then put the bell back on after cleaning. I heard it crack a bit when i put the bell back on, so I am not sure it is going to hold. It feels like it will, but we will see.

I then cleaned the cell with diluted simple green and about 1,000,000 Q tips. It was about as dirty as things can get. I used some polish from sears and a cloth end for my dremel. This worked VERY well, but when I had finished I noticed that it had put black "dust" back all over my cell which ment I had to clean it all over again. I would recommend that you clean the nails first as to skip the double cleaning. My cell looks great, I know alot of people talk about water stains on these boards, but as far as I can tell mine doesnt have any.

http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...20Cleaning.jpg

Here is some photos of the cleaned back:

http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...k%20Bottom.JPG
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...Back%20Top.JPG

When I had bought my restoration DVD from pachinkoman, I had also bought his electronics CD. I wired this as it was sold and I didn't think it had enough pop. I did some research and I decided to use some LEDs. I bought 10, 5mm white 12v (they work great with a 9v battery) LEDs from LED Products LEDs Neon Strips Switches
    I wired them up in parallel for one circuit and then used another LED for empty ball tray light. I used one LED for each of the plastic covers as you can see below. I think this worked out really really well.

http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...pty%20Tray.JPG
    http://antiqueglasscollecting.com/Pa...%20Jackpot.JPG

Well that is about it, I still have some work to do to put the rest back together to see if this thing is going to work, but I could use some help. My machine is missing the front glass (was going to use tempered glass instead of plexglass). Has anyone here ordered that before. I could really use the size and how you installed it. Did you have some sort of rubber fittings so the glass doesn't bang around in the holder? Also did you use two pieces of glass or just one? I am hoping someone can direct me to a vendor and let me know of a size to order. The only other thing that doesn't look right is the pealing stickers on the front, but I am guessing there is nothing I can do about that.

Let me know what you think,

Mike

2. The following 19 users say "Thanks" to Mckenzy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Pachinko - First Post

Nice job, nice machine Welcome to PachiTalk

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk Mike!! We are thrilled to have you as part of the clan!!

Also, kudos for an excellent first post. Your machine looks awesome with the clean cell and LED lights that you added. Nice job!

As far as the missing cover is concerned, your Pachi will operate just fine without it. Maybe you can find one somewhere down the road, but for now it should not affect machine play.

When I replace the glass on my machines, I typically go to Home Depot or ACE hardware and pick up one piece of single strength glass cut to fit the frame. You can use two pieces, but only one is needed. The glass "floats" in the channel in the door frame without any rubber or cushioning. With regard to the size, all Pachi door frames are different, so you will need to measure yours for the right fit.

Again, Welcome to the family. We look forward to your next post.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Mike,

Welcome to PachiTalk!!! Great first post!!

Missing the cover over the jackpot lever assembly shouldnt be a problem. It was probably removed to un-jam some balls in the past and never reinstalled. However to keep the dust off of that area maybe you could make one out of plexiglass? Just a thought.

You're right there are no water stains on your playfield. It looks great!! Your parents did well!!

Regarding the glass. I personally like real glass for my machines.

Some that have children are concerned about breakage and the chance of getting hurt. I have one machine with 1/4" thick tempered glass but its a tight fit in the channel. With some slight spreading of the channel guides you can get it to work. Its not neccesary to have glass in both channels. Only the one closest to the playfield. Thats one option.

Home Depot can cut standard /untempered glass for you if you're not worried about someone falling into it or it tipping over, etc. You could also get a diamond cutter and do it yourself. Considering the name of your website though, you probably know alot more about glass than I do.

Home Depot can also cut Plexiglass for you but its actually a little more expensive than real glass.

Good job on your machine! Looking forward to your future posts!!

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

first the glass... cuting it yourself is the cheapest way to go.. if i dident have a piece from another machine to use for size i would make a cardboard templet.. that way u know exactly what size ya need.. that way if ya have someone else cut it u have the exact size..

like jacksje4 stated u really only need one piece but a second will make it a bit quiter

also i understand posting pics off site but some of us can not view off site photos when were at work.. not that we spend our working hrs surfing Pachitalk...

nice machine and great first post and first Pachi
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the quick response all. I think I will take Mopar's advice and find out what size I need by using cardboard, not sure why I didn't think of that before. Should be easy once I have that info.

Glad everyone likes it. To tell you the truth, now that I am almost done it also feels good to know that this wont be trashed. My hobby is to go to auctions and yard sales and buy depression glass and resell it later (hence the website name). I am pretty dang sure that if I see another one of these I will have to buy it so it doesn't find its way to a landfill. I am sure my wife is already . Not to mention I now have pachinko envy from all those powerflash pictures.

11. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Mckenzy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice first machine!

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm impressed, very nice job!

Like others have said, cover isn't necessary, but nice to have, if you can get em.

If the glass is a standard size between makers, then according to a label on a Nishijin C model it's 406mm x 406mm x 3t = 15.98" square. I'm assuming the 3T is 3mm Tempered - 0.118", .125 (1/8") is close enough

The only thing I noticed on the back was the two white levers in the jackpot feed. The left edge of them needs to be above the metal dump slide, not below it. They prevent the system paying out if it gets low on balls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice machine and great job on it. I love the LEDs.
    Machines I own: ...see my profile

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the size is a tad different from one brand to another.

best to use mopar's template idea.

I, too, prefer glass, but have acrylic in lots of mine b/c they came that way.

the clinking on the glass is more authentic.

some people have used 2 sheets, one plastic, one glass, as they have in the parlors (i think they were both glass in japan?). makes it quieter and harder to cheat with a magnet.

only one my my machines had some grey weather stripping pushed into the rail to keep the plastic from rattling. I don't think it's necessary

welcome to pachitalk.

chewy

p.s. when you post, do you mind posting some of the pix directly to the forum? we sometimes have trouble getting to other sites (like at work, etc). this also archives the pix here at pachitalk, for as long as Sid keeps the servers running
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

18. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome, I have one real close to yours and have used it for months with out the missing jack pot cover and it work just find with out it. I also did the LED lighting just like you did on it. I have two pieces of glass Plexiglas on the outside and real glass on inside; I had Lows cut for me 16 1/16" X 15 5/8". Hope this helps you.

Attached Images Attached Images

21. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk! That is one nice machine you have there. Great job on cleaning it up!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

what a super first post!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...